St Mirren v Queen of the South 12/3/16

Both teams have been consistently disappointing all season and I cant see either of us going on a great run.

I hope that we can finally find an attacking formula that prevents us from being so one dimensional and predictable. Oliver is one player for us that at least tries to make things happen by taking men on and taking the ball in tight spaces. I dont think Millar has played anywhere near his potential but without him we are devoid of any midfield creativity so I would hope to see these two in the team. Hilson if he has recovered from Tuesday should be another starter.

The Manager has taken a fair bit of stick but in all honesty the players have not been good enough and we need movement and pace allied to good decision making in final third. Very few of these attributes have been in evidence and in all honesty our dismal scoring record is showing no signs of changing. Hopefully we will see a fresh approach and some under-used players should get their chance.

Fowler must start Lyle Harris Oliver and Russell.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oliver has done nothing in the games I've seen to merit a start. I'd have him behind Lyle, Russell and Hilson in the striker role, and behind Harris and Kidd as a wide man.

I think Jacobs can count himself unlucky not to have been involved more. He's filled in well in a variety of positions and looked to me to be the sort of player all good teams have who plays 7/10 every week without being a star.

At a time where it is almost unheard of for a club like us to pay a fee for a player - we are reputed to have paid £5k for Gary Oliver last summer. That indicates that James Fowler was very keen on him.

Since arriving he has been used sparingly and while he tends to overdo the step overs he at least tries to beat players and make things happen. He probably gave the best attacking display of any Queens player this season away at Raith earlier in season and he played well recently away at St Mirren and at home to Rangers despite getting limited time on the pitch.

If I compare his contributions with those of Pickard and Conroy I know who I would rather see getting a chance.

I dont disagree on Jacobs and I would rather see him in central midfield than Kyle Hutton who seems to be an automatic pick.

At a time where it is almost unheard of for a club like us to pay a fee for a player - we are reputed to have paid £5k for Gary Oliver last summer.

Reputed by who? The only place I have seen that is in 19QOS19's posts. No idea where he got that from.

Ok i stand corrected but at the time he signed i recall a lot of noise around that and it is a comment that has resurfaced from time to time on the QOS threads. i assumed that as it has not been challenged until now it had some substance. To be honest I did find it surprising to say the least but in the absence of any challenge that I can recall I thought it may have been partof the Reilly settlement. Not sure why people make these things up if they dont know the inside track?

In any event the absence of a fee does not change my view that Gary Oliver can count himself a bit unlucky especially when he sees some of the disappointing attacking performances from colleagues who have had a lot more game time. It may be academic as I dont expect him to want to stay next season even if the Club do want him to stay.

I didnt say there was no fee. I neither confirmed nor denied it. I just have no idea where the sum 19QOS19 started quoting as fact appeared from as to my knowledge neither club disclosed any fee. And I hadnt seen him suggest a number until fairly recently.

Assuming everybody fit and available I would play

Thomson,

Kidd Dowie Higgins Marshall.

Harris Murdoch Millar,Russell

Lyle. Hilson

Subs Atkinson, Jacobs, Smith, Oliver, Conroy,  plus 2 of Tapping/Pickard/Hutton.

Wouldn`t be too upset if Jacobs, Oliver or even Smith got a start. 

Pickard needs a rest, I think he might ultimately be a good holding midfielder.

Probably be criticised for this but can`t help feeling that although he is a fine player Marshall would also benefit from a rest but other than Higgins no idea who we could play at LB.

Thomson,

Lyle. Hilson

Subs Atkinson, Jacobs, Smith, Oliver, Conroy,  plus 2 of Tapping/Pickard/Hutton.

Probably be criticised for this but can`t help feeling that although he is a fine player Marshall would also benefit from a rest but other than Higgins no idea who we could play at LB.

Reading that line up shows just how good a team we should have. No doubt Fowler will see diff.

Thomson,

Lyle. Hilson

Subs Atkinson, Jacobs, Smith, Oliver, Conroy, plus 2 of Tapping/Pickard/Hutton.

agree back 4 pick themselves. This game is in danger of being the end of our competitive season. 7 points now could easily be 10 and we not hauling that in. so I would go 4-3-3. Back four like you said. Hutton and tapping either side of a slightly advanced Millar. Harris and Russel out wide with lyle/hilson in the centre. Even if we lose we must find our bite to a game.

Hope we win 2-1 to queens

I didnt say there was no fee. I neither confirmed nor denied it. I just have no idea where the sum 19QOS19 started quoting as fact appeared from as to my knowledge neither club disclosed any fee. And I hadnt seen him suggest a number until fairly recently.

I guess from that cryptic comment it is fair to assume that there was a fee paid - it is just the amount that is in question and that is no business of mine. My original point was that it is surprising that we paid a fee in this day and age for a player whom the Manager has used very sparingly. No fee for Murdoch presumably but again not seen as good enough as a first pick at a time where the midfield has been extremely uninspiring.

Thomson,

Lyle. Hilson

Agree that this is about as good a team as we can field and as you say I wouldnt mind 1/2 tweaks so long as these involve the players that you mention. Most of the others have had more than enough game time to prove their worth and have not delivered so time for others to get a fair chance.

The home form is good, three wins and a draw in the last four. Another three points would be just dandy and keep that little cushion between us and 9th nice and comfortable.

We will need to defend better than we did in Kirkcaldy last week that's for sure. I hope Goodwin starts, we could do with his influence in midfield.

Will go for a repeat of the last game between us in Paisley. 1-0 via a Mallan free kick.

I still hate football after Tuesday night's efforts; so I shall only be keeping an eye on the score. QOS NIL is my prediction, if the manager picks the same starting 11.

To my fellow QoS fans in attendance, I hope your eyes don't bleed.

5 changes from Tues night. In comes Jacobs, Murdoch, Harris, Lyle + Oliver out goes Brownlie, Hutton, Conroy, Hilson + Pickard, still no Millar in squad.

Indeed.

Thomson.

Kidd Dowie Higgins Marshall

Murdoch Jacobs Tapping.

Harris Lyle Oliver.

Subs Atkinson Brownlie, Conroy, Russell, Hutton, Pickard Hilson

Edit. Marshall off injured after 4 minutes. Brownlie on.

Archived