Scottish cup semi final prediction's

Stengop

I think it would be interesting if someone from the SAFA was able to come on here and explain the logic behind the dates and venues for these ties because,for the life of me,I just can't see how asking amateur sides to travel such distances...over 100 miles for Oban,and over 60 miles for Leven to play a Scottish semi-final on a Thursday night makes any kind of sense.

And while the distances for Possil and Colville are much less,why have them play their game at the same venue on a Monday night?

Are there really no other dates and venues that would be more suitable for the clubs involved,available between now and the date set for the Final?

It's simple, you take what you can get. Remember this is the National semi-finals and there would be more of an outcry if they took it anywhere else other than a senior ground. The other issue you have is availability at this time of year and most grounds outside Glasgow's big three are in constant use 7 days a week. Look at the Falkirk Stadium, Broadwood, Ochilview, New Douglas Park etc, go there at any point in the day and you will see they are used for all levels of football. Some are moaning that "why don't they use the ground on a Saturday when the home club are away" again if you think amateur football is going to take priority at these venues over a over 19's / 21's games you are clearly as mad as a mad person at a madness concert in Madagascar.

The bottom line is availability and I'm sure with all the district cup semi-finals and finals you are limited not to double book SAFA games for the same day.

Also, these dates and venues where announced on the SAFA website well before we knew who was going to be in them.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF the safa did make a call to both clubs regarding the date and venue im pretty sure it wouldnt have been to get their input of where and when the semi would take place , more likely they were told thats what was happening and that was it. If u think both clubs had any input into that decision then your deluded. Whats done is done now and best of luck to those involved hopefully a decent turnout for both games !

hahaha delusion from a small minority with a massive chip on their shoulder. Oban and Leven have now came on and said there is no issue. So many on here with solutions looking for problems hahaha

Could u enlighten us when the dates and venues were announced ? Fair play to both teams they will get on with it and rightly so but the situation is ideal , Sunday would be a more appropriate day and am pretty sure that it could have been arranged a whole lot better. Go make 100 mile trip to oban after a game finishes later on at night after hospitality and whatever else some boys will have work the next day and not get in till early hours of the morning. Couldny organise a pish up in a brewery !

I think the difficulty is most senior grounds with artificial surfaces have full programmes at the weekends for their own Community Club's etc so a Sunday would be impossible. If Hamilton couldn't accommodate Celtic in Scottish Cup v EK Team because of it (and turned down significant fee) then their hardly going to do it for an amateur game.

Celtic vs ek game wasn't much notice given , but if what is being said is true that date and venue was decided months in advance i dont think that would have been the case.not going to change now but if it helps teams from a bit further out having to travel midweek for hours then would be worth it

It's simple, you take what you can get. Remember this is the National semi-finals and there would be more of an outcry if they took it anywhere else other than a senior ground. The other issue you have is availability at this time of year and most grounds outside Glasgow's big three are in constant use 7 days a week. Look at the Falkirk Stadium, Broadwood, Ochilview, New Douglas Park etc, go there at any point in the day and you will see they are used for all levels of football. Some are moaning that "why don't they use the ground on a Saturday when the home club are away" again if you think amateur football is going to take priority at these venues over a over 19's / 21's games you are clearly as mad as a mad person at a madness concert in Madagascar.

The bottom line is availability and I'm sure with all the district cup semi-finals and finals you are limited not to double book SAFA games for the same day.

Also, these dates and venues where announced on the SAFA website well before we knew who was going to be in them.

Firstly,thanks for the reminder that it's the National semis that are being discussed here,and for all the obviously researched info that you've posted.

Just a coupla points re the info though...it looks like I missed the poll where it was decided that there would be 'an outcry if these games were played anywhere else other than a senior ground',so perhaps you could let us know how many clubs were canvassed in order to come to this,for me at least,surprising conclusion.

I say surprising because,while I admittedly haven't done any in-depth research on this,I do take in quite a number of Amateur games during the season which brings me into contact with a number of punters involved in the game and the feedback I've had any time this topic is discussed,has indicated that there wouldn't be any objections to these games being played at any of the bigger Junior grounds.

As for the Senior grounds you've mentioned where they're in 'constant use 7 days a week'(actually NDP is closed today :)  ),well,that's because they accept advance bookings and,while I don't have experience of the others,I know that it's not an impossible task to book some time on the NDP pitch.

And of course,you've got to think that it would be relatively simple to arrange the National competition ties so that they don't clash with district semis and finals,particularly in this instance where I'm unaware of any such games actually due to be played at this time.

Anyhoo,good luck to all the teams involved and,for anyone making a first visit to NDP...wrap up extra warm!  :P

Can assure you from the Leven United side of things the players are just focused on te game and can't wait to get out on the pitch, not ideal to travel but will still have a travelling support of between 150 - 200 coming to back the team!

It seems to me the only people moaning are the ones who are nothing to do with the game, and most likely won't even go to watch it

Both teams are happy so stop making a mountain out of a molehill, if it was me playing I wouldn't care less. It's the scottish cup semi final after all

Oban r used to it as they do that kind of journey evry 2nd wk

Exactly Robert and in the Scottish Leven have travelled so let's get on with it! Association have done well getting an SPL venue for the semi finals could be playing on poor junior parks like some of us have done in the past

Exactly Robert and in the Scottish Leven have travelled so let's get on with it! Association have done well getting an SPL venue for the semi finals could be playing on poor junior parks like some of us have done in the past

areyouforreal

Archived