London

QPStu

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2019 at 16:56, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Spent last night in The Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington after taking in the Dulwich Hamlet game - good pub imo.

What did you think of Dulwich? They get criticised for being a bit hip, but I enjoy going there. The ground and bars are great and The Cherry Tree over the road is decent. 

On 06/03/2019 at 07:32, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

They are undoubtedly a bit hip but I really liked it. Great atmosphere in the ground, bar above the stand is excellent, good food etc. The activist stuff is welcome and it's not done in a way that takes away from the football. It seemed like somewhere you could take someone who wasn't all that interested in football and they would still have a good time.

One aspect I did wonder about was when I saw a couple of older guys in club ties etc who presumably have been going along for years, before the new identity developed. It must be strange to see your club change like that but the impression I get is that it was a relatively organic process so presumably that helps. I've been to FC United in Manchester as well and while that was also good fun, in comparison it was all a bit more forced and self-conscious.

The older guys are absolutely bought into it. I was a Hamlet regular until moving back to Scotland last year and the older guys are genuinely grateful for what the increased support has done for the club. The community involvement and engagement stuff is all genuine and meaningful too which makes a massive difference.

There’s always a few bellends there with no interest in football but most of the new fans are genuine football fans who are living in London and miss going to see their own (usually lower league) team. It wasn’t quite a direct replacement for me (I never got the same high when they won or misery when they lost as I do with Thistle) but it was still one of my favourite parts of life in London. 

Ahh I miss Champion Hill!

Edited by VladimirMooc

• 4 months later...

I was in London a few weeks ago and I was surprised how bad it has gotten over the last few years.
Some bits are like the 3rd world.

There are so many jakies now. There seemed to be a load of diesel vehicles and Rickshaws.
The weather was terrible. It was dull, grey and it pished down the whole time.

It was really, really depressing. I used to like living in London. I couldn't wait to leave.

On 19/07/2019 at 16:58, Cerberus said:

I was in London a few weeks ago and I was surprised how bad it has gotten over the last few years.
Some bits are like the 3rd world.I 

couldn't wait to leave.

Basically everyone I know nowadays says this.

Just be glad you didn't get stabbed or robbed.

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It was grim, dude.
I had considered moving back but it cemented the fact that if the majority of London is already turned to shit then the UK is fully fucked after Brexit.

11 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Basically everyone I know nowadays says this.

Just be glad you didn't get stabbed or robbed.

Which parts of London did you visit?

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

In London the richer bits require a lot more cash than I have.

Expensive shitehole yer London

That's capital cities for you. I really don't understand the blanket, London is shite view though. I enjoy it every time, except the last, ironically. I was in Stratford and that is a coup.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's capital cities for you. I really don't understand the blanket, London is shite view though. I enjoy it every time, except the last, ironically. I was in Stratford and that is a coup.

Isn't that the bit they spent millions on for the Olympics?

5 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Isn't that the bit they spent millions on for the Olympics?

Aye but there's a clear dividing line after Westfield shopping centre. The bit beyond that awaits gentrification. This is the Stratford shopping centre.

images (14).jpeg

What a load of shite. London is an utterly fantastic city and safe. I loved there for about eight years until last summer and never had a problem. There are some dreadful areas, yes, but no more than any other big city. 

3 hours ago, JMDP said:

What a load of shite. London is an utterly fantastic city and safe. I loved there for about eight years until last summer and never had a problem. There are some dreadful areas, yes, but no more than any other big city. 

Fantastic and safe as long as you're not in one of the dreadful areas then?