LB Ricardo Rodriguez - Wolfsburg

CDM Gokhan Inler - Leicester City

CDM Granit Xhaka - Basel

RW Xherdan Shaqiri - Stoke City

CAM Blerim Dzemali - Genoa

LW Valentin Stocker - Hertha Berlin

FW Eren Derdiyok - Kasimpasa

Prediction:

First of all, sorry Albania but they're one of the teams that with the new format, are simply there to make up the numbers. If they can get a point or even a win they'd be delighted but I can't see it. The other 3 should make for cracking viewing with France artificially underranked as they haven't played competitively for two years. I think the games between those three could be tight and the group may come down to who can put the most goals past Albania. In the end I think Romania had a bit of an easy group in qualifying and lack the fire power of the French and Swiss so I fancy France and Switzerland to make it through the group, whilst the Romanians must wait and see if their points total gets them through as a lucky loser.

France 7 points

Switzerland 5 points

Romania 4 points

Albania 0 points

I've tickets to the second round match involving the group winners of A.  See if Switzerland pip France to top spot I'll be gutted! Especially as the runners up play on the Saturday and I'll be in Switzerland....

Think your predictions are spot on.

As an aside, the brothers Xhaka likely to clash in the Albanis vs Switzerland game. Has this happened at a Euroa before? I know the Boateng's tangled at the WC and there are probably other instances but I can't think of any offhand.

France should make it through this group without too much trouble at all. So it should be a dogfight between Romania and the Swiss for 2nd,although I'd love to see the Albanians cause an upset along the line somewhere.

Your line up for Switzerland is probably a little bit out.

Schär will likely be at centre half in place of Senderos  who has been absolutely horrendous since moving to Grasshoppers. Derdiyok is also unlikely to be near the starting 11, with Seferovic, Mehmedi, Drmic and Embolo all ahead of him these days.

Very hit or miss side. When they play their strongest 11 they are decent enough but the centre halves are poor and the full backs don't help by playing so far up the park at times. They have potential to get to the quarters or semis if it goes well but they struggled at times in qualifying if the opposition had a go at them. Would probably agree that 2nd place is likely. Can't see them getting close to doing anything against France.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that 3rd goalie ever really matters but thought Areola would have been the better shout behind the established two. Always feel it's a bit pointless having 3 older keepers when there is just as good a younger option who'd benefit from the experience

Don't think there's anything different id have done with the defence. Obviously Sakho would be there if he hadn't fucked up.

Schneiderlin could certainly have done a job in that squad.

Don't agree with the Rabiot chat, he's not had a single cap yet and despite a very good season you don't just overhaul finals squads for new additions if you're pretty well served in certain positions so he'll rightly have to bide his time. See also Gameiro, he's never been regularly involved and was never going to work his way into the squad for this so I've no problems there. I also doubt there would be people moaning about Ben Arfa not being in there if there wasn't Barcelona chat last week.

I'd have Lacazette in there, offers something different up top. But not at the expense of Giroud as suggested. Surprised Valbuena not even on the reserve list either. Deschamps claiming fitness concerns but the player says he's fine and you suspect it's politics which is unfortunate. Gignac is gash and should be nowhere near that squad.

Fair play on him gambling on Kante, expected he might have bottled out off that one for a more experienced option

Not that 3rd goalie ever really matters but thought Areola would have been the better shout behind the established two. Always feel it's a bit pointless having 3 older keepers when there is just as good a younger option who'd benefit from the experience

Don't think there's anything different id have done with the defence. Obviously Sakho would be there if he hadn't fucked up.

Schneiderlin could certainly have done a job in that squad.

Don't agree with the Rabiot chat, he's not had a single cap yet and despite a very good season you don't just overhaul finals squads for new additions if you're pretty well served in certain positions so he'll rightly have to bide his time. See also Gameiro, he's never been regularly involved and was never going to work his way into the squad for this so I've no problems there. I also doubt there would be people moaning about Ben Arfa not being in there if there wasn't Barcelona chat last week.

I'd have Lacazette in there, offers something different up top. But not at the expense of Giroud as suggested. Surprised Valbuena not even on the reserve list either. Deschamps claiming fitness concerns but the player says he's fine and you suspect it's politics which is unfortunate. Gignac is gash and should be nowhere near that squad.

Fair play on him gambling on Kante, expected he might have bottled out off that one for a more experienced option

The four I mentioned have had far better seasons than the four he included. Don't know what type of form gignacs in but the other three have been average or complete shite.

Ok let's start with a easy one. Olivier Giroud has scored 4 in 8 in France internationals this 'season'. What made you think they were going to drop their first choice striker who is averaging a goal every other game? And how does it qualify as a 'complete minter'?

Ok let's start with a easy one. Olivier Giroud has scored 4 in 8 in France internationals this 'season'. What made you think they were going to drop their first choice striker who is averaging a goal every other game? And how does it qualify as a 'complete minter'?

I didn't think they drop him, I said they should. Look at his record for arsenal this season, nowhere near the form of the other two they've left out, can see it coming back to bite them even if his record for France is good.

Archived