Group A

I didn't think they drop him, I said they should. Look at his record for arsenal this season, nowhere near the form of the other two they've left out, can see it coming back to bite them even if his record for France is good.

You don't construct a national team by tossing out guys who've done the business for you because they've had a poor few months with Arsenal. It's all very well for armchair bosses to suggest so but its just not what happens.

Giroud is the only one that gets the business done for France these days. I'll have money all over him being top scorer.

A team of: Lloris, Sagna, Koscielny, Varane, Evra, Matuidi, Pogba, Payet, Griezmann, Giroud, Martial will win this tournament easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Switzerland squad in full: 

Goalkeepers: Yann Sommer (Borussia Monchengladbach), Roman Burki (Borussia Dortmund), Marwin Hitz (Augsburg)

Defenders: Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Nico Elvedi (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Lang (Basel), Johan Djourou (Hamburg), Steve von Bergen (Young Boys), Fabian Schar (Hoffenheim), Francois Moubandje (Toulouse), Ricardo Rodriguez (Wolfsburg)

Midfielders: Valon Behrami (Watford), Blerim Dzemaili (Genoa), Gelson Fernandes (Rennes), Fabian Frei (Mainz), Granit Xhaka (Arsenal), Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City), Renato Steffen (Basel), Denis Zakaria (Young Boys)

Forwards: Breel Embolo (Basel), Haris Seferovic (Eintracht Frankfurt), Admir Mehmedi (Bayer Leverkusen), Eren Derdiyok (Kasimpasa), Shani Tarashaj (Everton)

Derdiyok would probably have been dropped had Drmic recovered in time. Only possible surprise was Senderos being left out, but as I said previously on this thread he has been utterly horrendous for Grasshoppers since signing in January and on the form he has shown should probably retire, never mind worry about the national side.

Archived