Stirling Albion Thread

Dave McKay may not have signed the best players, but with the time he had to get them you can't really argue, most of his signings have at least had a good spell, he's still not playing with his team and despite bottling the play offs it was still amazing we could even think about them compared to where we were at Christmas

33 minutes ago, SAFCBINOS said:

Dave McKay may not have signed the best players, but with the time he had to get them you can't really argue, most of his signings have at least had a good spell, he's still not playing with his team and despite bottling the play offs it was still amazing we could even think about them compared to where we were at Christmas

I think the word 'bottling' is a bit harsh.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don't think he wants away just that he seems to be a bit of a traveller. Moving about from country to country and playing. Heard his GF is in Edinburgh doing uni this year that's why he's here. Would happily keep him. But if we got Smith I'd be happy with that too. Sure any team would, weird he's being released.

There's nothing official about Smith yet of course. MacKay has said he thinks we have the 2 best keepers in League 2, so, on that basis, I would think Smith would have been offered a deal. Assuming the rumours are right, it seems more likely Smith turned down the offer. Would imagine he'd get a deal at a better team than us, and, if the logistics of playing with Arbroath suit, it would make sense for him to sign for the lichties. 

I think Smith would've have stayed if the bickering with a small section of our support had not happened. But it did happen and I doubt he'll stay, he's too good tbf.

Cammy Binnie is a more than capable replacement for Smith.

4 hours ago, gmca said:

There's nothing official about Smith yet of course. MacKay has said he thinks we have the 2 best keepers in League 2, so, on that basis, I would think Smith would have been offered a deal. Assuming the rumours are right, it seems more likely Smith turned down the offer. Would imagine he'd get a deal at a better team than us, and, if the logistics of playing with Arbroath suit, it would make sense for him to sign for the lichties. 

Would be disappointed if Chris Smith did not resign for us next season but if he feels he could play for a better team in a higher League than good luck to him, wish him all the best.

In Cammy Binnie we have a young goalkeeper with a lot of potential and would have no problems with him in goal as No 1. Might free up some of the player budget to get help in other areas like midfield and up front.

Just now, JakeSAFC said:

Or more importantly our defence

Well hopefully Ross Smith and Ross McGeachie resign for us next season that just leaves cover for them and left and right backs. Don1t know if Mills will be their next year for the left back position, also right back is another position we could do help with. Cant see Ross Forsyth playing much next season either at left back or centre defence except maybe in an emergency, think he will be more or less on the sidelines, or working with the under 20`s.

Don1t know if Mills will be their next year for the left back position

I would doubt it mate. The lad is so far out of the picture that I think it's a certainty that he'll be away. He's just never impressed, hard to believe he came through the Murray Park youth system.

I don't care how many penalty saves he made, Chris Smith sold the jerseys in the last minute at Elgin which effectively ended our playoff hopes, so for that reason he should be punted immediately. :lol:

That and being a big mooth. Whilst some of the criticism is over the top, he doesnae help himself either. 

Wouldn't be too sad to see him leave. 

No real surprises in the lists. I think the only 1 that you would say surprised me a little was that Chris Smith wasn't offered a deal. I thought the plan for Binnie would be to get him out for a season long loan deal before putting him into the First Team regularly but obviously he's the man Mackay sees as his number 1 going forward and fair play to him for that, certainly deserves his chance.

Happy with the players that have signed new deals and no complaints with those being released.

44 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

No real surprises in the lists. I think the only 1 that you would say surprised me a little was that Chris Smith wasn't offered a deal. I thought the plan for Binnie would be to get him out for a season long loan deal before putting him into the First Team regularly but obviously he's the man Mackay sees as his number 1 going forward and fair play to him for that, certainly deserves his chance.

Happy with the players that have signed new deals and no complaints with those being released.

Also with regard to Chris Smith he would have been on a decent wage and perhaps Dave thought that the money freed up could be better spent elsewhere in the team, as clearly Cammy Binnie is ready to start as No 1.

I knew after Saturday that we wouldn't be seeing Chris Smith in an Albion shirt again, thought he'd be offered a contract though.

Best keeper I've personally seen in an Albion shirt, best of luck to him.

Caddis and Black signed up for next season.

Happy with Caddis resigning. Was not sure when we first signed him but he completely proved me wrong. One of our better performers and he loves a good dribble.

Andy Black has his moments, can see him being a cover player if injuries happen.