SNP beaten in 14 constituencies, can any problems be found?

Mr Bairn

1) Perthshire isn't in the North East

2) Every seat that the SNP won between 1937 & 1973 was on the "West Coast" (Motherwell, Hamilton, Western Isles, Glasgow Govan)

3) In the 2 elections in 1974, the SNP won a total of 18 seats (Aberdeenshire East x2, Angus South, Argyll x2, Banffshire x2, Dunbartonshire East, Dundee East x2, Galloway, Moray & Nairn x2, Perth & East Perthshire, Stirlingshire East & Clackmannan x2, Western Isles x2). I would suggest that 9 of these 18 seats are NOT in the North-East

4) In 1979 & 1983, The SNP held Western Isles & Dundee East. The clue is in the name "Western Isles"

The first time the SNP held exclusively North-Eastern seats was in 1987 (Angus East, Banff & Buchan & Moray)

Can you please check your facts before posting your unsubstantiated shite.

Look at the seats that were SNP at Westminster in the parliaments between 2006-2015, I'd say that're heartlands

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the seats that were SNP at Westminster in the parliaments between 2006-2015, I'd say that're heartlands

You suggested that the SNP's roots were in the North-East, Their roots are a lot deeper than 2006. 

The Alva and Menstrie end of the Hillfoots in Clackmannanshire would have a good claim on this. SNP candidates were being voted in there at the local level as far back as 1950 or so and that has continued up to the present day. The NE jumped on the SNP bandwagon in the mid-70s driven by anti-EEC resentment at what Labour had done over fisheries policies and as a vehicle for anti-Tory tactical voting, but if you look at the numbers that area was relatively lukewarm on radical constitutional change in the two devolution referenda and in the independence one. What has happened in the last five years or so is that SNP support now more closely mirrors where there is the greatest enthusaism for independence.

Clearly shetland and orkney should be annexed to Denmark or whoever wants it.

In my experience, some of the more bitter ganzie/tourie wearers in Shetland (lunatic fringe type numbers in overall percentage terms) would actually welcome that, although it's normally Norway that is seen as the long lost mother country. The original agreement in the 1460s (think it was a dowry payment and too lazy to google) made mention of a payment in silver (or something) that would enable Shetland to be redeemed by Norway, but Scotland didn't live up to the terms and subsequently refused to accept it every time it was offered. The b*****ds, sorry I mean and quite right too, my 25% Shetland genetics briefly asserted themselves there.

In my experience, some of the more bitter ganzie/tourie wearers in Shetland (lunatic fringe type numbers in overall percentage terms) would actually welcome that, although it's normally Norway that is seen as the long lost mother country. The original agreement in the 1460s (think it was a dowry payment and too lazy to google) made mention of a payment in silver (or something) that would enable Shetland to be redeemed by Norway, but Scotland didn't live up to the terms and subsequently refused to accept it every time it was offered. The b*****ds, sorry I mean and quite right too, my 25% Shetland genetics briefly asserted themselves there.

Pretty much this, although it was owned by Denmark as the top dog at the time of it being pawned to Scotland.

Although the history says that Scotland didn't refuse to accept it. They just refused to acknowledge the request was received the dozen or so times.

If we can cede Glasgow to Northern Ireland then independence will be far easier to sell in Edinburgh

I'd cede Edinburgh to Inchcolm Island. That way its inhabitants would not be allowed to vote.

I'd cede Edinburgh to Inchcolm Island. That way its inhabitants would not be allowed to vote.

Would that be Edinburgh the capital of North Britain? 😂 The good people of Edinburgh actually voted for their city to have about as much international status as York or Truro.

The boundaries for the Scottish elections really hurt the SNP, splitting the main town of Dumfries between the two constituencies of Dumfriesshire and G&WD. Dumfries is where the SNP make their money down there and if it was all in one constituency they'd win it. I wonder if they might gerrymander the boundaries. In the WM election, the town is in the SNP seat Dumfries and Galloway, whereas the Tories hold the bigger seat.

Although your point in general is probably correct, just to note the whole town of Dumfries is not within the Westminster D&G seat. I'm about a mile inside the town boundary but I'm in the Mundell constituency of Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale.

I expect it's probably true that Dumfries itself is more likely to vote SNP than the rest of the region but that said, it's also worth noting it has never been an SNP seat until the most recent WM election, having previously been in the main Conservative, though Russell Brown held the seat for Labour for three terms. The Council isn't SNP controlled and the area had one of the strongest No votes at the Indy referendum. Splitting Dumfries over two constituencies probably hurt the SNP but I don't think it's an absolute certainty that not doing so would have won them a seat.

In as much as nothing dampens patriotic pride so much as looking 40 miles west

^^^ will be using this as partial justification for Greek/ Turk style population transfers after the eventual Yes vote.

Archived