CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

I’ll be pleased if we have signed Peter MacDonald. As others have said it will depend how fit he is of course.

He isn’t particularly tall though (about the same height as Gormley, I think) and, what was striking at the Airdrie game was just how small our team is now. Especially, with Higgins starting up front, when we play long balls we have absolutely no one to aim for.

It’s all well and good playing football on the deck but, even in a friendly, it took Airdrie about 15 minutes to notice when our keeper had the ball if they left their strikers up the pitch, we would have to play the ball long and ultimately lose it.

This also means there’s no hope of Marsh being used in defence, where he should be. He’ll get used in behind a striker as he was when brought on with Gormley on Saturday.

Hopefully, we sign at least one more midfielder or striker with some height, which we'll need for defending corners, if nothing else.

Hawl you! Don't be casting doubt on Barry's reinvention of the side.

I assume we'll be signing another Centre half at some point? With Barry wanting to play 3 at the back and with McLaughlin leaving and Smith in a cast(only his arm so could be back relatively soon) we'll need another centre half for cover and to challenge smith McNiff and Oliver when they're all fit as marsh probably won't play in defensive unless really needed to.

Apparently the boy from Cumnock we were interested in is away to the Queenies.

It's amazing how these guys turn down a wage just to get expenses........isn't it?!

Could be that..............or maybe the boy wants to showcase his talents in a higher league.................or perhaps he just doesn't fancy having the ball hoofed up to him from 50 yards away.

Nah, you're probably right. After all, by the time you look at what Clyde would have been paying him less tax, the lad would have been on a fortune :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hit a nerve did I?

You know and everyone knows that your expenses scheme is a total joke.

So say for example he got offered £200-£300 a week at Clyde...how can you justify more in expenses a week at the Queenies?

Petrol,lunch,fake tan???????

You're worse than Sevco ffs!! 🖕ðŸ¼

Edited by Clyde soccer trendy

Could be that..............or maybe the boy wants to showcase his talents in a higher league.................or perhaps he just doesn't fancy having the ball hoofed up to him from 50 yards away.

Nah, you're probably right. After all, by the time you look at what Clyde would have been paying him less tax, the lad would have been on a fortune :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so the guy is turning down between 10 and 15 k a year just so he can play in Division 1 ? 

so I take it queens park use the house of commons expenses model  :lol:

Hit a nerve did I?

You know and everyone knows that your expenses scheme is a total joke.

So say for example he got offered £200-£300 a week at Clyde...how can you justify more in expenses a week at the Queenies?

Petrol,lunch,fake tan???????

You're worse than Sevco ffs!!

Looks like it was your nerve that was hit.

so the guy is turning down between 10 and 15 k a year just so he can play in Division 1 ? 

so I take it queens park use the house of commons expenses model  :lol:

If you're honestly offering part-timers that sort of money and they still won't sign for you (15 players signed as of Saturday, I heard from my mole) you should maybe be looking at why.

You still obsessed with everything Clyde I see.......why are you on here anyway???

You guys are great fun and provide the rest of us with hours of entertainment.  

Actually it's called taking an interest in the wider world of fitba.

If you're honestly offering part-timers that sort of money and they still won't sign for you (15 players signed as of Saturday, I heard from my mole) you should maybe be looking at why.

so we have never heard an explanation as to the expenses  :lol:  that are paid so even if the expenses are 100 quid a week these guys are giving up somewhere in the region of 10 k a year to play for queens park 

so how much expenses do they pay ? 

Normally I'd have chucked them back by now, but I think cfcuk is one for the keep-net - what a dobber! Let it go mate. Honestly, we're not worth it.

Still won't answer the question of expenses 😂 think we all know why 😊

As you will be aware I don't go on queen's park forums so don't know how I let it go ? It's you that came on to a Clyde thread

We looked better tonight than Saturday. Difficult to properly judge based on a friendly but we are getting there. A few tweaks & if the rumour of McDonald signing is true we'll be ready for the competitive games kicking off!

Not to mention the last 2 games have been against full time sides. 

Gibson started in goal, then, from left to right: Lowden, McNiff, McNeil and Johnston made up his defence. In the same order: Linton, Flynn, McLaughlin, Easton and Marsh filled the midfield; McLaughlin sitting deepest. Gormley led the line with the aforementioned Easton playing the space around him when we picked up possession. In short, a 4-4-2 in possession and 4-5-1 without is how we shaped up.

The game was a classic of the genre: played at a high-tempo but without the commitment of a competitive fixture. Dunfermline began with what was perhaps a half-strength side and, as such, there wasn’t a glaring difference in the quality of the two teams. That said, Dunfermline began with several trialists who were obviously out to impress and they exercised us. McNeil, who was out of sorts at centre-half, had to shift around a fair bit; McLaughlin’s deep positioning spared him many blushes. Wee Barry spent a good bit of his time exasperated by all of this. The back four he picked was makeshift but he clearly expected better.

Further up the park, David Marsh, playing wide right, was rarely involved and, perhaps by force of habit, came inside quite a bit. As such, Phil Johnston was given an added incentive to overlap, which he did quite successfully. I don’t expect he’ll continue as a right-back though - he’s obviously not a defender to trade.

In the cockpit, McLaughlin took the sting from the game while Flynn and Easton looked to open it up. They had little joy in the first half. Little or nothing stuck with Gormley and both players seemed to be dreaming the same dream. Just not collaboratively, if you catch my drift. Not to question the quality of either player, of course. Both look smashing. Flynn’s obviously the more aggressive and direct of the two: he’d charge right through the middle every time if he could. Watching Easton, you get the impression that he could weave through any midfield on his day; what he does or doesn’t do with the ball after that is perhaps the only reason why he isn’t at a better club.

What else? We moved to a less fluid setup second-half and then reverted toward the end. Both Easton and Gormley took to the shoulders of Dunfermline’s defenders, meaning our shape was more rigid. It done us a favour, I think; the game opened up a bit as Gormley’s isolation ended and the roles of Easton and Flynn became more defined. We stuck on a few subs later: Higgins, Watson, Kyle Ferguson and another trialist (tall, skinny right-mid). Ferguson took McLaughlin’s role. Higgins took Gormley’s. The trialist took Marsh’s and Linton was swapped for Watson. We shuffled the pack to have Watson, Higgins and Easton mixing it up up-top; Watson was usually the man furthest left. The arrangement was quite a loose one and saw those three playing well together - particularly Higgins and Easton. The trialist done alright; he'd one good show of skill at the nearside touchline and a few well-picked passes thereafter but there were careless moments and daft concessions too.

We conceded a silly goal toward the end of the match. Gibson was asked to pick out Johnston with his goal-kicks and he did so a few times, giving us a good run on Dunfermline. The third time Gibson picked him out, Johnston brought it down, turned his man, and passed the ball more-or-less straight to a Dunfermline player who struck it up field quickly and the rest you can read-in.

Bob Malcolm’s Fake Taxi. Too long didn't read. Worst thing ever. Jim Torbett etc.

Edited by Sao Paulo