CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

1 hour ago, Jamesy lawd said:

me an declan ma best pal done this on his computer and were gona get a flag made you guys need to get a grip and get behind barry hes a ex rangers pleayer and is class give him one more season an you will see a was right we are clyde super clyde noone likes us we dont care

BARRYbelieve.jpg

That reminds me, this little Queenie sent me a PM

If your father's still doing that to you, report him to the authorities.  And as far as I know, WD40 is readily available from most supermarkets

Hope that helps. 

15 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

CIC may have worked in an environment of success and growth,

Seeking a consortium to take over rather than seeking another Shettleston or Glencairn may be a better use of time.

The blueprint for it SLW was based on employee owned companies, the difference there being they're run by people who understand the industry they're in and are experts in the various departments.

So for any club, it's not impossible it might work, but it relies on luck you have among your numbers what's needed.  At most you get some kudos for being stylishly democratic from the outside football world, 95% + of which don't adopt the same system.  That's not a criticism of owners, there's no particular reason IMO they should know how to run a football club

Supporting a club is supposed to be an escape from a working week, go to a game on a Saturday, "hopefully" enjoy it. The inference now being over & above occasional fundraising, there's an obligation to do and give more.  The German equivalent is better balanced, so tied with your final suggestion that's where our model could be altered in conjunction with new people coming in.

The current model doesn't work in a practical sense.  There's maybe 20 - 30 regularly engaged owners, and for the rest it's of sentimental value, give the club a nominal amount each year in return for being able to say they own a little share in the team they support. There's nothing unusual about an organisation reviewing their operation and changing course where felt necessary.

Cfcuk you are absolutely right.Most of those posting here have Clyde at heart and the hurt being felt is palpable.However where have I asked you to support the CIC initiative what I am saying is that you have absolutely no chance of changing things from the outside.Take up my offer and I'll give you a cheque payable to Clyde FC on Tuesday night.

Penquin I am sorry but I just understand you. 

SLW like you I can think of many other things to spend the money on that I squander on Clyde year after year.What worries me is if I choose one of those alternatives and others do the same-then the option of choice may be taken out of my hands.In the old days I would wake up on a Saturday full of excitement thinking today I'll be seeing George Herd,Tommy Ring etc.Sadly those days have gone and now Saturday's are full of trepidation with no team member getting the blood flowing.But it is all about emotion and Clyde still stirs that in me and I don't want to ever lose that.So I'll be there again tomorrow and Saturdays thereafter until the option is no longer there.

Seeking a consortium to take over rather than seeking another Shettleston or Glencairn may be a better use of time. Or then again....

Very much agree with this point. We've had four failed attempts at moving to another ground. Would hate to think how much time and money has been spent on each.

I would rather we seeked out another CEO, external to the fan base, with the knowledge and vision to give the club some direction and focus. Would be happy to see some funds from the relocation or playing budget put to this use.

The match day experience is honking at Broadwood but I couldn't see it vastly increasing if we were playing at Shettleson or our own version of Dumbarton/East Fife's ground with the way things are on and off the park at present.

I am beginning to wonder if you are perhaps an even bigger troll than our Jamesy Lawd (at least he offers some comic relief),

Jamesy Lawd is a completely unfunny simpleton. Imagine an individual sad enough to keep that act going for such a drawn out period of time. If that's 'comic relief' then shoot me now!

46 minutes ago, Harry Haddock said:

SLW like you I can think of many other things to spend the money on that I squander on Clyde year after year.What worries me is if I choose one of those alternatives and others do the same-then the option of choice may be taken out of my hands.In the old days I would wake up on a Saturday full of excitement thinking today I'll be seeing George Herd,Tommy Ring etc.Sadly those days have gone and now Saturday's are full of trepidation with no team member getting the blood flowing.But it is all about emotion and Clyde still stirs that in me and I don't want to ever lose that.So I'll be there again tomorrow and Saturdays thereafter until the option is no longer there.

I'm unfortunately in the same boat as you. Old enough to remember the Halcyon days of the Fifties and spent fortunes over the years following the team all over Scotland through thick and thin, accepting that football was, is and always will be cyclical, but always with the conviction that the bad times would become good times again, eventually.

I did stop attending regularly during the name change fiasco but once that obstacle was removed I'm back pretty regularly but not so much at away games.

The crap that's being offered under Ferguson's (mis)management, and the lack of any indication that it is going to improve, has me on the brink of chucking it again, but whether my heart will let me is another matter.

I've said it often enough on here and on the OS, but it really time the warring factions put their differences aside and tried to find some way to progress together, but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Like you my fear is that we will have the choice of attending on a match day taken from us, forever.

Why don't I get involved and offer my services?

I simply don't have the time or the skill sets required to make any difference, and that's not a cop out, it's just reality.

13 minutes ago, LiviClyde said:

I simply don't have the time or the skill sets required to make any difference, and that's not a cop out, it's just reality.

And you can be near certain Livi that will be the case for at least 90% of all football supporters

There isn't one example anywhere of a club who have adopted the same or a very similar structure as ourselves and could be held up as a success story

So OK, they tried it, it didn't work out.  Fine, draw a line under it, put it in the past and devise something new.  That in itself might give people some reason for optimism

1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

And you can be near certain Livi that will be the case for at least 90% of all football supporters

There isn't one example anywhere of a club who have adopted the same or a very similar structure as ourselves and could be held up as a success story

So OK, they tried it, it didn't work out.  Fine, draw a line under it, put it in the past and devise something new.  That in itself might give people some reason for optimism

Yes, it is becoming more and more apparent that the CIC is not the answer at our level, but where and how do we find and agree on an alternative?

It's not impossible that Barry and his blue nose cronies could buy their way in, or some other equally scary scenario.

13 minutes ago, LiviClyde said:

Yes, it is becoming more and more apparent that the CIC is not the answer at our level, but where and how do we find and agree on an alternative?

It's not impossible that Barry and his blue nose cronies could buy their way in, or some other equally scary scenario.

That wouldn't be possible under a redesigned model

The main argument for CIC was as a reaction to what happened to us and a handful of high profile of cases. It's worth pointing out the vast majority of clubs are run well in a traditional way. Most are not Romanov

But in any case, we're talking about the existing Board sourcing what's required. Skills, ability & time being priority over a pre-condition of cash up front. They would generate revenue and as has been said before, not exactly a queue of people looking to invest in just about any club right now

So that in itself would be the vetting procedure. Ironically, although highly unlikely to happen, it is the current set up which allows for the kind of takeover you mention automatically. Just a numbers game

Brighton, I am only too aware of why the CIC 'employee owned' model was the one chosen. It was a governance structure the chairman knew well and believed in. It had one redeeming feature regarding the long term protection of the club. I am not sure that even fits.

if someone really wanted the club a la Clydebank and Airdrie then it is not impossible to envisage a day when they could muster more members than Clyde fans could and control may slip away.

That wouldn't be possible under a redesigned model
The main argument for CIC was as a reaction to what happened to us and a handful of high profile of cases. It's worth pointing out the vast majority of clubs are run well in a traditional way. Most are not Romanov
But in any case, we're talking about the existing Board sourcing what's required. Skills, ability & time being priority over a pre-condition of cash up front. They would generate revenue and as has been said before, not exactly a queue of people looking to invest in just about any club right now
So that in itself would be the vetting procedure. Ironically, although highly unlikely to happen, it is the current set up which allows for the kind of takeover you mention automatically. Just a numbers game

The CIC clearly doesn't work we have spent the last year's on life support relying on golf days race nights and philanthropic clyde fans and this is hailed a success ?
Unless it's some maniac that takes over (surely due diligence would stop that) can't really see a down side they would by default bring in buisness acumen, contacts and most of all prime pump funds (you would hope ) so what's the attraction well it would cost them nothing to gain control of the club there is nobody to buy it off, no debts and still a team with a great history , if as rumoured the ground rental is less than 40k per year that's you got no maintenance costs etc while you look for alternatives or build the club at Broadwood. The state the club are in just now ( not good ) as stated in the new year message from the board I don't see a downside.

35 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Brighton, I am only too aware of why the CIC 'employee owned' model was the one chosen. It was a governance structure the chairman knew well and believed in. It had one redeeming feature regarding the long term protection of the club. I am not sure that even fits.

if someone really wanted the club a la Clydebank and Airdrie then it is not impossible to envisage a day when they could muster more members than Clyde fans could and control may slip away.

I agree SLW, I know his background

There can be crossover in practice from sector to sector, some aspects from one can be adopted by another.  But the problem's been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It's not like for like.  When I first heard the plan, I couldn't see it working for the reasons I gave. Unfortunately it's turned out that way

It is the irony as it stands it could be taken over the way you're suggesting, though that would take a concentrated effort to have hundreds of 'their people' sign up. Possible but unlikely....unless existing and ownership reduced massively. 

But as currently designed, it's clearly not working

47 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

The CIC clearly doesn't work we have spent the last year's on life support relying on golf days race nights and philanthropic clyde fans and this is hailed a success ?
Unless it's some maniac that takes over (surely due diligence would stop that) can't really see a down side they would by default bring in buisness acumen, contacts and most of all prime pump funds (you would hope ) so what's the attraction well it would cost them nothing to gain control of the club there is nobody to buy it off, no debts and still a team with a great history , if as rumoured the ground rental is less than 40k per year that's you got no maintenance costs etc while you look for alternatives or build the club at Broadwood. The state the club are in just now ( not good ) as stated in the new year message from the board I don't see a downside.

Largely agree but the priority would be sourcing ability willing to contribute their time and knowledge

If they decided to fast track a few things with a cash injection, that should be viewed a bonus, not a pre-condition. The whole point is the re-development of the club as a healthy and viable ongoing concern, no longer reliant on being bailed out in that way

What I'm suggesting is the general principle, there can be various versions, but clearly something needs to change. If the board did nothing else other than source what's required and adapt the structure to suit, they'll have fulfilled their purpose.

if as rumoured the ground rental is less than 40k per year that's you got no maintenance costs etc while you look for alternatives or build the club at Broadwood.

Surely one of the problems, and it's big one at that, is that we are also unable to gain revenue through the stadium.

It would be different if we were able to sublet the stadium, earn income from pitchside advertising, catering etc.

It will never happen at Broadwood. That's one of the main reasons that I think we need to leave.

Surely one of the problems, and it's big one at that, is that we are also unable to gain revenue through the stadium.
It would be different if we were able to sublet the stadium, earn income from pitchside advertising, catering etc.
It will never happen at Broadwood. That's one of the main reasons that I think we need to leave.

We can do pitch side advertising at the moment , we have control of hospitality/ corporate subletting any pitch ( 4g) requires you to buy a stadium then lay the pitch (that's a helluva out lay ) albion rovers, Elgin, Stirling, arbroath all have grass pitches serious question how much do you think you could make out of catering ? Attracting a 100 more fans to the game blows that out the water
Broadwood isn't ideal but it does represent value for money at the moment until we buy our own ground or get someone else to build us one what's the option

We can do pitch side advertising at the moment , we have control of hospitality/ corporate subletting any pitch ( 4g) requires you to buy a stadium then lay the pitch (that's a helluva out lay ) albion rovers, Elgin, Stirling, arbroath all have grass pitches serious question how much do you think you could make out of catering ? Attracting a 100 more fans to the game blows that out the water
Broadwood isn't ideal but it does represent value for money at the moment until we buy our own ground or get someone else to build us one what's the option

You're missing the point that I was making.

Paying £40000 with very few income streams gained from that rental will not allow the club to prosper.

Also £40000 at our level is not value for money. It would be different if all the stands were full every week.

You're missing the point that I was making.

Paying £40000 with very few income streams gained from that rental will not allow the club to prosper.

Also £40000 at our level is not value for money. It would be different if all the stands were full every week.

How much do think it would cost to run a football ground per year ?
That's electric, maintenance, rates , insurance?

100 fans per home roughly pays 90% of that

So add 100 fans per home game at today's rates and it's the equivalent of it being rent free

I'm no great fan of Broadwood but I still think it's not the worst option at the moment