Rangers - What should the sanctions be?

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really?

Rangers fans attack opponents every week according to this clown, proves my earlier points.

That sentence would fit right in with the shambles your club released earlier

Read the sentence prior to that you'll see that I picked that out as a separate point. That point was made in relation to the apparent "severe provocation" they suffered. As I said Rangers fans dish that out every week to opposing supporters at Ibrox, it really is a horrible place to go. Not once have I felt the need to jump the advertising hoardings and use the corner flag as a weapon. It is only a game, violence has no place. If you can't take a bit of goading and a get it up ye, then quite frankly you should not be at a football match.

No fans should have been on the pitch. Both are to blame - that's what it comes down to.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're being a bit daft.

The majority of posts on here say nothing of the sort. You seem to wisely have let your "media" claim evaporate.

The majority of posts are blaming Rangers, they attacked hibs fans.

It's there for all to see.

They should get in trouble for the flairs they let off when Hibs went up 1-0. Rangers are acting like they were completely innocent in the events that unfolded at Hampden. They shouldn't have run on to the pitch when the Hibs fans were there either

They should get in trouble for the flairs they let off when Hibs went up 1-0. Rangers are acting like they were completely innocent in the events that unfolded at Hampden. They shouldn't have run on to the pitch when the Hibs fans were there either

Nothing should be swept under the carpet.

That sentence would fit right in with the shambles your club released earlier

Read the sentence prior to that you'll see that I picked that out as a separate point. That point was made in relation to the apparent "severe provocation" they suffered. As I said Rangers fans dish that out every week to opposing supporters at Ibrox, it really is a horrible place to go. Not once have I felt the need to jump the advertising hoardings and use the corner flag as a weapon. It is only a game, violence has no place. If you can't take a bit of goading and a get it up ye, then quite frankly you should not be at a football match.

No fans should have been on the pitch. Both are to blame - that's what it comes down to.

"

I have sympathy for their players as they didn't deserve it after all they just lost a national final.

However I have no sympathy whatsoever for their fans as they do that week in, week out to opposition fans and quite obviously are a violent and bitter bunch"

You are clearly stating that Rangers fans attack opponent's every week.

Nothing should be swept under the carpet.

Exactly, neither club was innocent. But the security failed at Hampden and something should be done about it. I think G4S were involved so no wonder the fights happened, they weren't fit to deal with the olympics either

"

I have sympathy for their players as they didn't deserve it after all they just lost a national final.

However I have no sympathy whatsoever for their fans as they do that week in, week out to opposition fans and quite obviously are a violent and bitter bunch"

Wee benny has never been to ibrox.

Armchairloyal.

They really dont. Thats just lazy sterotyping.

The element of Rangers fans who behave like knuckle-dragging bigots is not as tiny as Rangers and their fans would have you believe. However it is absolutely nowhere near as many as the likes of you portray. As I have said before we have far more issues when the Edinburgh clubs come visiting than we do from Rangers.

What percentage of the Rangers fanbase would you estimate sing The Billy Boys and Cheer Up Alan Stubbs....?

Do the minority just have exceptionally loud voices?

I've has the misfortune to attend a match at Ibrox, in the main stand, and its a vile atmosphere. The world and its dog are fenyin basturts. And the women were worse than the men.

Its simply not true that anything other than a tiny minority of Rangers fans arent horrible bigots. Unless you are going down the 90 minute bigots, just a bit of harmless banter route.

The other thing about these decent salt of the earth Rangers fans, like their green bigot counterparts, is to check their behaviour when amongst friends and like minded souls. The mask slips.

"

Nope, I am stating that Rangers fans goad opposition fans every week. A point you cannot refute if you have sat near the away section at Ibrox. Goading should not provoke any sort of attack, unfortunately in the case of Rangers it does. No Rangers fan was on the pitch to save their hero it was an embarrassing episode all round.

It's all Rangers fault.

Good of you to admit it mate. 

Unfortunate   :1eye

Hibs fans should have been celebrating in the stands not on the pitch.  I felt pretty 'exuberant' when we beat celtic, at no point did I feel like invading the pitch, digging up turf and lamping Leigh Griffiths.

Yep, very unfortunate. I seen that the goalie was pushed and it looked in the papers as if something may have happened to Wallace. Both instances have to be investigated and the perpetrators punished. Yet I also seen hundreds if not thousands of Hibs fans run past the Rangers goalie without acknowledging him and I seen Hibs fans dancing, hugging and singing across the park - more interested in congratulating their own players than having a go at Rangers players.  I don't doubt that must have been disconcerting for the Rangers players to be surrounded by rival fans but it is hardly an unprecedented scenario in football and there's no reason it should have been more serious than that.

I was devastated at the cup semi final and majorly scunnered by Rangers fans winding me and others up in the group chat I share with my pals, but I didn't want to fight anyone over it. Defeat isn't an excuse to riot. 

Unfortunate  :1eye

Hibs fans should have been celebrating in the stands not on the pitch.  I felt pretty 'exuberant' when we beat celtic, at no point did I feel like invading the pitch, digging up turf and lamping Leigh Griffiths.

Absolutely agree with this. And there is also no way that Rangers fans should have been on the pitch. Hibs fans were on the pitch celebrating, as wrong as that was, but why were any Rangers fans on the pitch? Please, please don't anyone say that they were protecting their players! They were on there for a fight, nothing more, nothing less.

A lot of the Rangers statement is reasonable enough, but this bit goes too far:

We acknowledge that a tiny minority of Rangers fans also encroached on the pitch but only after having been faced with prolonged and severe provocation and in order to protect our players and officials who were being visibly attacked in front of them. Any club’s supporters would have done the same.

It's obvious that some of the minority were intent on having a go at Hibs supporters rather than protecting players and officials and there's no way any responsible official should be publicly trying to justify that.

They didn't even know about the players - they just saw red after getting a big GIRUY from some of the Hibs fans.

They do now. Early in the thread a lot of it was about Rangers, albeit a number of them were clearly trying to be funny in a P&B windup way.

I'd agree with this to be honest. I think people could just empathise with the Hibs fans given the circumstances. Not saying it's right, but after that comeback, that wait, the season of failure and the whole Hibsing it thing, I can completely understand the pitch invasion. If it was my team and I was 20 I'd have been on there too. No question.

But there were way too many of them behaving like arseholes when you see the footage. Spoiled it really, and that was glossed over by some of us at the time.

There was still zero excuse for any Rangers fans to be on the pitch though. They should have stayed where they were, and the whole thing would have been wrapped up much quicker.

Had it been 20,000 Falkirk fans, we would have behaved in a completely different way. The Rangers fans just can't take losing. Its that sense of self entitlement.

Be interesting how much of the blame lies at the feet of the SFA for the security failings, expect a bit of a white wash, probably end up with SFA deducting monies from  square up of revenue generated on a % basis, 75% from Hibs 0% form sevco knowing them.

Just about every football fan would condemn some Hibs fans behaving like tools. There were mitigating circumstances – the last minute goal among them – for going onto the pitch, but none for those who went to goad Rangers fans.

But their aggressive and misleading post-match statements are counterproductive. In trying to portray themselves as victims, Rangers come across as paranoid. And not for the first time.

Seriously, issuing a statement criticising Nicola Sturgeon, the BBC and Stuart Cosgrove? I genuinely thought it was spoof when I first read it. What can that possibly achieve, other than illustrating the club's paranoia and giving an excuse to their own followers to cause trouble next year?

Would it not have been better to simply condemn the violence and ask for an enquiry?

That statement is weird. It makes you wonder how professional Rangers are nowadays behind the scenes, because that sounds like a drunk 17-year-old wrote it.

The Cosgrove attack is ludicrous in the extreme - all he said was that some were guilty of a moral over-reaction - this wasn't 1980 - and some people seem to forget that.

They really dont. Thats just lazy sterotyping.

The element of Rangers fans who behave like knuckle-dragging bigots is not as tiny as Rangers and their fans would have you believe. However it is absolutely nowhere near as many as the likes of you portray. As I have said before we have far more issues when the Edinburgh clubs come visiting than we do from Rangers.

I think if you did a head count the number of morons from both sides was probably roughly equal.

No, most fans/sections of the media seem to be excusing the behaviour of hibs fans and turning it in to a let's bash sevco carnival.

Rangers cannot allow this to happen for a third time, while some of the statement was ott, I agree with a fair bit of it.

I think the media did the opposite - they tried to make out that this was a re-run of 1980 when it wasn't.

Archived