Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Murder in his first match after a month out injured and in a game where we ultimately kept a clean sheet. 

Liam Gordon is not a better defender or player than Steven Anderson on the evidence we've seen so far. Anderson has played around 400 matches for us, Gordon 4 or 5. Thats just about as ridiculous as people claiming Wright and Anderson were our 5th and 6th best centre halves the year we won the cup - behind Dave Mackay, Tam Scobbie, Gary Miller and Sanel Jahic. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Can I just ask why everyones moaning about Ando for the penalty. I've not seen it again but it looked like he clearly won the ball?

I thought their guy got a touch and Ando caught his foot, TW almost says as much on radio,as well as commenting on his miss,and not defending the others properly,said Edwards got too much time, and we should've done better at third

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Murder in his first match after a month out injured and in a game where we ultimately kept a clean sheet. 

Liam Gordon is not a better defender or player than Steven Anderson on the evidence we've seen so far. Anderson has played around 400 matches for us, Gordon 4 or 5. Thats just about as ridiculous as people claiming Wright and Anderson were our 5th and 6th best centre halves the year we won the cup - behind Dave Mackay, Tam Scobbie, Gary Miller and Sanel Jahic. :lol: 

Hoped you'd forget that bit! He's also not the most decorated player,we've several cup winners still playing, he is our most appearances player though,but as he's not been signed by Real or Barca in his 11 years here,he's bound to be,and we've had international players,who surely are as decorated?

Edited by glenrothes 1884 saint

I didn't think it was a penalty initially, but our players' reaction said an awful lot. No one protested the decision. Compare that to the penalty Henderson won in the league cup semi and I think it's probably a fair decision. 

8 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I thought their guy got a touch and Ando caught his foot, TW almost says as much on radio,as well as commenting on his miss,and not defending the others properly,said Edwards got too much time, and we should've done better at third

I was quite close to it and it looked like the opposite to me. Ando attacked the ball. Won it and the guy ran into him. 

I'm not convinced re @Randomguys comment that he should of Shepparded him etc. He got their 1st and won it. You can't always avoid tackling fearing giving away a penalty. Particularly when you're rhe favourite to win the ball. 

I could be wrong but at the time I thought. Oh good tackle... Then penalty was given. I was convinced. 

Liam Gordon is also not going to play very much all season and likely to end up out on loan. He's last in the pecking order to play. 

Although... In saying all of that. Did we deserve to win. No we did not. 2nd best in every area after half time. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

8 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Hoped you'd forget that bit! He's also not the most decorated player,we've several cup winners still playing, he is our most appearances player though,but as he's not been signed by Real or Barca in his 11 years here,he's bound to be

He's won a major honour and scored in the final, won the first division, challenge cup and appeared in the most major semi finals of any our players past or present. Hes also appeared in 5 separate European campaigns and is our record appearance holder by quite some distance in and all of that during the club's most successful spell in its history. 

You say I'm blinded by love. All the logic and stats are on my side of the argument here. By all means dwell on the odd mistake and imperfections in his game. If he didn't have them, he wouldn't be with us. 

Edited by Kyle

I'm not convinced re @Randomguys comment that he should of Shepparded him etc. He got their 1st and won it. You can't always avoid tackling fearing giving away a penalty

Although... In saying all of that. Did we deserve to win. No we did not. 2nd best in every area after half time. 

I think sometimes you have to, especially these days. Sticking a foot in on a sprinting striker is asking for trouble as refs will always give the penalty.

And we weren't far off. Partick had three shots on target and scored them, we had ten shots at goal and couldn't get one in target. That's the only difference.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You say I'm blinded by love. All the logic and stats are on my side of the argument here. By all means dwell on the odd mistake and imperfections in his game. If he didn't have them, he wouldn't be with us. 

Just like every player that's here, if they were world beaters they'd not be here, so why can't you accept,just as I do,we have adequate players,who make mistakes? Andos first 5 years here were mistake after mistake, but managers persevered with him,as we had no one better,but now he's Luther Matheus of cb,s,faultless and blameless 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think sometimes you have to, especially these days. Sticking a foot in on a sprinting striker is asking for trouble as refs will always give the penalty.

And we weren't far off. Partick had three shots on target and scored them, we had ten shots at goal and couldn't get one in target. That's the only difference.

Am I the only c**t to have seen the partick keeper make a brilliant diving save in the first half?

The thing with Ando is he needs games to get up to speed but is a liability in the games he's not up to speed in. Liam Gordon is the future Ando though.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Am I the only c**t to have seen the partick keeper make a brilliant diving save in the first half?

The thing with Ando is he needs games to get up to speed but is a liability in the games he's not up to speed in. Liam Gordon is the future Ando though.

Macca was given offside for that save... 

Gordon is currently 5th choice. 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Macca was given offside for that save... 

Gordon is currently 5th choice. 

I was sure we got a corner for it. Must've been numbed by how shite that game was in the first half, at least we seen some goals second half. Liam Gordon shouldn't be 5th choice IMO.

2 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Just like every player that's here, if they were world beaters they'd not be here, so why can't you accept,just as I do,we have adequate players,who make mistakes? Andos first 5 years here were mistake after mistake, but managers persevered with him,as we had no one better,but now he's Luther Matheus of cb,s,faultless and blameless 

Because you don't accept it. You have a pop at Anderson at every conceivable opportunity, even when he's done nothing wrong. I have never said he's faultless - I've said the opposite a couple of posts ago - but surely if he's more than adequate then you accept he'll make mistakes. I don't remember you going for the likes of Shaughnessy, Foster  Easton or even Brad McKay, who was a genuine bomb scare, when their mistakes cost us goals. 

Im not even convinced Anderson was to blame for the third goal. He was given no cover from the midfield (who were posted missing most of the night, except for Spoony) and Erskine had a run on him. Can't legislate for an excellent finish either. 

That's not true,I've given him plenty praise and mom votes on wap,but I also see his faults and will continue to point them out,especially when everyone else seems to blame Cummins' miss but not Andos,or his rash tackle for penalty,they all make mistakes,and I call them all the same,yes I do point Andos out, as I feel he's exempt from criticism in some quarters

I was sure we got a corner for it. Must've been numbed by how shite that game was in the first half, at least we seen some goals second half. Liam Gordon shouldn't be 5th choice IMO.

He was definitely offside. In fact I'm fairly certain every touch MacLean had inside the box was offside.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was definitely offside. In fact I'm fairly certain every touch MacLean had inside the box was offside.

Despite it being offside it was indeed a cracking save. 

An observation I often think about Macca. He seems to slip over at least 2 or 3 times a game when trying to turn when either on the ball or chasing someone in posession! 

Despite it being offside it was indeed a cracking save. 
An observation I often think about Macca. He seems to slip over at least 2 or 3 times a game when trying to turn when either on the ball or chasing someone in posession! 

He's been doing it for ages.

A long shot but we need a striker in as soon as possible. A lack of finisher has seen us out of two competitions already, falling away from the top five in the league is the next problem we might face.