Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

As with most games against other spl teams, the first goal was crucial. Up until the penalty I am not sure any saints fan could really be unhappy with our performance. We knocked it about well. Probed a really tight and packed defence but Just couldn't unlock them. Had we gone ahead with the first goal I am pretty sure we would still be in the cup. Fine margins at this level . Some of the over reaction is mind boggling. Just my opinion

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's strange how every defeat leads to multiple statuses about how the youth players are so much better than what we have. Some people genuinely seem to believe every player under 21 for us is an incredible player but TW just flat out refuses to play them.

Last season they finished bottom of the development league. Certainly doesn't suggest to me the lads who were around 1st team in u20 squad were good enough. 

I know many have left and we tend to play young young lads at under 20 level but still feel some people over state the quality of our youth players. 

We suggests to me the reason Mclaren etc were allowed to go and the others don't get a chance is because they're not good enough (yet for some?).  

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's strange how every defeat leads to multiple statuses about how the youth players are so much better than what we have. Some people genuinely seem to believe every player under 21 for us is an incredible player but TW just flat out refuses to play them.

That'll be the very same youth team that finished bottom of the development league, albeit with a very young team. Honestly, it's unfathomable.

I can sense the WAP hate getting focused on Blair Alston this season.

Tbf I can sort of understand it, I like him, but in 2017 he's got one goal and two assists.

I expected more from Alston. He's done alright for us but thought he would give us more goals than he has and would settle more easily into our team. I'd have him on the bench if everyone happens to be fit.

Is Craig Thomson injured? I don't think he's made either squad yet and the right hand side of midfield looks pretty packed to me. Wonder if he'll be one of the players heading out on loan.

42 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Last season they finished bottom of the development league. Certainly doesn't suggest to me the lads who were around 1st team in u20 squad were good enough. 

I know many have left and we tend to play young young lads at under 20 level but still feel some people over state the quality of our youth players. 

We suggests to me the reason Mclaren etc were allowed to go and the others don't get a chance is because they're not good enough (yet for some?).  

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That'll be the very same youth team that finished bottom of the development league, albeit with a very young team. Honestly, it's unfathomable.

Great minds think alike. 

Re Alston, has ability but lacks belief imo and athleticism. 

It seems like he is never under control of the ball. Constant stumble. 

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're always going to have a spectrum of opinions about players so I don't think this is a surprise. There will be Saints fans who can't stand O'Halloran, or think Shaugnessy's second rate. Happens with every team.

Perhaps the cry to promote younger players is simply frustration that the some players never seem to be dropped irrespective of performance. Certainly have some sympathy with that view.

He'll be injured. Certainly won't be on the way out as saints are tailoring his training.

My best guess is, based on East Fife, he's got a niggle and isn't actually match fit, didn't look it then.

Well this is interesting [emoji38]
Natives getting restless?
Heard that we may not get our top target today. If I was TW I'd be getting 2 lesser strikers in instead, they're bound to be able to at least hit the target unlike the ones we have just now.
Does this coincide with Graham going down South? I'm not ITK.

Surely means at least one striker coming in the next couple of days. Hopefully this can be the making of Kane. Ideally two strikers before the deadline now though.

ETA: The "more to follow" from the club suggests another announcement soon I'd assume.