Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I would take relegation and a glorious league cup triumph.

I assume that's a joke.

More seriously there's good money in the LC. I think winning it gets around 300k plus telly? You would hope that having saved all that money by paying slave wages, there would be an 'eat what you kill' deal for the manager to release at least some of that cash back for fees and/or wages for some quality to keep us up. 

Motherwell bullet the manager after 9 games without a win, but likely to be on 23 points assuming they get the covid points back, and with a squad that's stronger and deeper than ours in most positions. 

Interesting times. 

EDIT - just realised that the cup falls outside window (or at least the final does). Still, we'll have done better than budgeted, you would imagine. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I get what RG is saying about one bad appointment, but on the other hand if they get it right you feel that's a squad that should be fine.

At first glance they should be, but their keepers are poor/awful (Trevor Carsons figures are much, much, worse than most people would expect) and Declan Gallagher is their only top flight level CB.

Their main goal threat seems to be Tony Watt, who we all know is wasteful.

Robinson would've kept them up, as would TW, but a less pragmatic manager opens them up and makes these weaknesses more noticeable, IMO.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

At first glance they should be, but their keepers are poor/awful (Trevor Carsons figures are much, much, worse than most people would expect) and Declan Gallagher is their only top flight level CB.

Robinson would've kept them up, as would TW, but a less pragmatic manager opens them up and makes these weaknesses more noticeable, IMO.

Out of the bottom six, there's not many players I'd take ahead of our first team squad, though we do need numbers in to mix it up a bit. But others might well feel the same about our players.

Basically, managers who can get the sum greater than the parts are the difference between survival and getting relegated.  Livi are a good example, and Accies have been doing it for years.

With Hughes getting a great early reaction from the County players, I'd say there's no single standout relegation candidate anymore.  You could argue Accies, but they've been called that every season for the past 6 years and survived.

There is nothing between the bottom 5 right now, it could be any one of us.  In terms of form, we are the team who have gone the longest without a league win.                      9 matches.

Out of the bottom six, there's not many players I'd take ahead of our first team squad, though we do need numbers in to mix it up a bit. But others might well feel the same about our players.
Basically, managers who can get the sum greater than the parts are the difference between survival and getting relegated.  Livi are a good example, and Accies have been doing it for years.
With Hughes getting a great early reaction from the County players, I'd say there's no single standout relegation candidate anymore.  You could argue Accies, but they've been called that every season for the past 6 years and survived.
There is nothing between the bottom 5 right now, it could be any one of us.  In terms of form, we are the team who have gone the longest without a league win.                      9 matches.

Because we don’t have a goal scorer.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Being so tight we failed to pay 28 staff even the minimum wage then following it up with a statement basically claiming they didn't do anything wrong but couldn't prove otherwise is an issue tbh. 

Hardly surprising though. 

It was 14 grand over a five year period so going by your figure of 28 staff that would work out at two quid per person per week 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Out of the bottom six, there's not many players I'd take ahead of our first team squad.

5950e1a090503_i3tSE8(1).gif.5a334e3fb0ef8eecc4cea52752a41284.gif.1dba46fdef9057b4b92194f0162c5830.gif.70f8c67a13719cc0e68c0a002a443be6.gif

Watt, Lang, Long, Stewart, Tshibola, Kabamba, Brophy etc are all FAR better than Kane and Hendry. I'm probably better than Kane and fucking Hendry!!

Conway is pish, I'd rather have Burke or Mackenzie.

Mulumbu is comfortably better than Bryson and Craig.

We need 2 decent attackers or we are in trouble, big trouble.

26 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

It was 14 grand over a five year period so going by your figure of 28 staff that would work out at two quid per person per week 

This.

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

5950e1a090503_i3tSE8(1).gif.5a334e3fb0ef8eecc4cea52752a41284.gif.1dba46fdef9057b4b92194f0162c5830.gif.70f8c67a13719cc0e68c0a002a443be6.gif

Watt, Lang, Long, Stewart, Tshibola, Kabamba, Brophy etc are all FAR better than Kane and Hendry. I'm probably better than Kane and fucking Hendry!!

Conway is pish, I'd rather have Burke or Mackenzie.

Mulumbu is comfortably better than Bryson and Craig.

We need 2 decent attackers or we are in trouble, big trouble.

This.

Which of those prolific attackers you going for Tam?

Chris Long 1 goal in 15 matches

Aaron Tshibola 2 in 19

Ross Stewart 2 in 19

Tony Watt 3 in 17 

Eamonn Brophy 2 in 15

Callum Lang 3 in 16

Chris Kane is on 2 in 11, so about the same level.

Out of those you named, only Nicke Kabamba has an almost decent record this season on 5 in 19.

Agree we need strikers, but I'm not looking enviously at clubs around us for the answer.  Can't argue about Conway and Bryson so far.

Kabamba and Stewart can actually win headers and play up top on their own, tbf, but Kane I suppose is getting better at that. Hes the only striker scoring at the moment.

Brophy isn't a striker I rate at all. Watt we've been there and done it with. Long? No idea, attitude seems a major issue with him.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kabamba and Stewart can actually win headers and play up top on their own, tbf, but Kane I suppose is getting better at that. Hes the only striker scoring at the moment.

Brophy isn't a striker I rate at all. Watt we've been there and done it with. Long? No idea, attitude seems a major issue with him.

Would have both of them in our starting lineup TBH. 

In fact I'd be surprised if Stewart doesn't score against us on Saturday. 

Also agree on McKenzie, weirdly underappreciated by home fans IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

In fact I'd be surprised if Stewart doesn't score against us on Saturday. 

I would be surprised if he did...

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has Carson regressed since his injury? I know you're going from stats, but I thought he was still considered one of the best keepers in the league.

38 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Which of those prolific attackers you going for Tam?

Chris Long 1 goal in 15 matches

Aaron Tshibola 2 in 19

Ross Stewart 2 in 19

Tony Watt 3 in 17 

Eamonn Brophy 2 in 15

Callum Lang 3 in 16

Chris Kane is on 2 in 11, so about the same level.

Out of those you named, only Nicke Kabamba has an almost decent record this season on 5 in 19.

Agree we need strikers, but I'm not looking enviously at clubs around us for the answer.  Can't argue about Conway and Bryson so far.

It's not all about putting it in the net as you well know, especially if you're counting Kane being an asset to St Johnstone  atm. The strikers I've mentioned all have assets that would compliment Callums formations, they'd probably be better partners for May as well. I'd also bet they would've taken some of the many squandered chances this season, Kane was guilty of about half a dozen against Hamilton and that was him having a  so called decent game.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has Carson regressed since his injury? I know you're going from stats, but I thought he was still considered one of the best keepers in the league.

It's not a flawless system I have, but I have him as being a consistently below average keeper throughout, and near the worst in the last 5 years in 18/19 before his injury, a massive downgrade on Mark Gillespie who legitimately was one of the best in the league.

He's not Clark-esque in terms of conceding when he shouldn't, but he performs almost exactly to his xG conceded.  Hes a below average top flight keeper, yet most people, like yourself, seem to see him as a top half keeper. If the defence in front of him is poor, then he won't be keeping clean sheets consistently. 

Going the other way though, he's a better keeper than Archer, Chapman, Clark, Fulton and Laidlaw.

As I say, it's naturally a flawed system, but thats how he comes out.