Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

When you look back at Reno Matthew’s stats they’re genuinely awful by comparison to the rest of the league. He may not make many high profile errors, but his save percentage and expected goals sit way below even Uniteds goalkeeper which shows how he performed last year. Yes a brilliant guy to have at the club, but ultimately not an amazing keeper. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

MacDonald was in The Courier the other week saying he still wants to be a number 1. To the point he was asked if he'd consider coaching and he said no, because he still wants to play regularly and doesn't want to accept being a second choice keeper. He was offered a new deal at Raith and turned them down.

I'd be surprised if he's not  looking to join you with the intention that he'd be number 1 which isn't a bad thing as long as it's only him that's thinking that.

He was offered a new deal at reduced terms at Raith. Word was he was one of, if not the, highest earners of a series of signings by John McGlynn that were described as having stupid escalator clauses.

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Surely he'd jump at the chance of the likes of a 2 year deal at a full time level as well. Experienced and that kind of signing has worked very well overall for us in the past when called upon. 

Likewise I don't know how he's performing these days but in his earlier years was surprised he wasn't playing at Premiership level.

He’s been at least a top three starter in the Championship for his time at Raith. Last year seemed a wee bit slower to get up and maybe a tiny bit easier to get nicked, but should be an excellent room guy for you, and likely will be helping with coaching.

Edited by TxRover

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

This may be a random question but if during Covid you could have gone to one of these game, what would you choose?

League Cup Final

Scottish Cup Final

Galatasaray away

Istanbul for me.

Galatasaray away likely a "Monaco" moment in that its once in a generation stuff, so surely be everyones choice?

I still have a deep resentment of Hibs after the 15/16 game at Tynecastle which, for me, saw us robbed of a trophy (we won 3/4 against County that season, drawing the other) thanks to Hendersons dive, though. So beating them in a Scottish Cup Final while they have 3/4 of the stadium would've been sensational.

Really tough question, that. Galatasaray would’ve been absolutely nuts, and as Random says, would be the Monaco of my generation. Being there to see us lift a cup at Hampden and complete the double means the Scottish Cup just shades it for me though. 

What a batshit crazy 7 months or so that was. 

The Galatasaray away game would just been a disaster.  The pubs filled with Saints fans attacked as revenge for someone from the fcu called them "kebab eating, hair cut providing small club wankers" or something. 

Blessing in disguise we couldn't go!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

6 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The Galatasaray away game would just been a disaster.  The pubs filled with Saints fans attacked as revenge for someone from the fcu called them "kebab eating, hair cut providing small club wankers" or something. 

Blessing in disguise we couldn't go!

We’d have been fine - Tam would’ve chased them away. 

9 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

This may be a random question but if during Covid you could have gone to one of these game, what would you choose?

League Cup Final

Scottish Cup Final

Galatasaray away

Istanbul for me.

Definitely the Scottish Cup final for me. 

11 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

League Cup Final

Scottish Cup Final

Galatasaray away

Istanbul for me.

Great question! Having been to a League Cup Final and a Scottish Cup Final it would definitely be Galatasaray for me! Although being at Ibrox would have been special.

“If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.” - Michael Scott

2 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Has to be the Scottish Cup final. We'll never witness a cup double again and it would have been amazing to be there.

Yes, would have been a once in a lifetime moment.

"British women can't cook." - Prince Phillip

1 hour ago, gingermunkie said:

Anyone know when the odds on winning the Scottish cup come out…Last two permanent managers won the Scottish cup in their first full seasons…. Get the house on it.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/fa-cup/scottish-fa-cup/winner