Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Na that’s shite Tam. He was a traditional number 9 that liked scoring goals suddenly being asked to run around making tackles. 
It’s no massive surprise that when we played him as part of a pair beforehand he was effective and scored, then when we went back to it in the second half of the play off season he scored goals again.

Just mentioned him as we’ve no game this weekend and saw he scored. players move on as you say.

But whether it’s Hendry, Rooney, Murray, Liam Craig, Frazer Wright or whoever, there’s no doubt we have a lot of players that lack that kind of edge in this current squad. 

I agree that our squad is very lacking in leadership qualities.

Callum had qualities but he also had many faults, my view on him is that he was an okay striker, not much more, no doubting the loans did him good though and also gave him perspective outwith St Johnstone,  which ultimately led to him leaving. As I've said though, he's moved on and so should we.

Callum Hendry was a good player for us at times who you’d be delighted to have kept, as he scored goals. However, I’m agreeing with Tam here, he had plenty of opportunities where he didn’t take his chances and was reckless in tackles leading to red cards. Would he improve our squad, yeah he would for sure, was he worth breaking the bank to keep, don’t think so. I say this as someone who was a Hendry fan and enjoyed watching him play, but the move down south was right for him and I’m really glad to see him to well down there now.  

Hendry was rightly dropped at the start of 20/21 as it was clear he wasn't going to score and he was getting increasingly frustrated which made it worse. You can argue that was all down to the aforementioned partnership with May ending but ultimately it was what it was. He couldn't really complain about Kane, May and Melamed being ahead of him that season and leaving on loan was fine and I don't think many were fussed by it? It was clear that nobody was benefiting from a confidence-sapped Hendry sitting on our bench.

Us losing Clark, Rooney, McCart, Melamed and Hendry for a combined £0, with no chance of any sell on money, is dreadful though. Every chance Fleetwood and Salford can bring in £500k+ fees for both Rooney and Hendry. I know a lot of its out of your control and I'm unsure the likes of Rooney and McCart were ever going to extend their deals, but a well run football club is able to sell these players with 12 months left as they already know who they want to replace them.

As for the new signing, he seems a cheap punt and we're at that stage of the window. When your other left backs cant be trusted then youre forced to do this and hopefully theyve already been made aware theyll need to prove their fitness to even be considered for a new deal.

Note that both Alex Mitchell and Jamie McCart are nowhere near their respective squads and out of contract next season, I’d take either back over what we’ve got to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Note that both Alex Mitchell and Jamie McCart are nowhere near their respective squads and out of contract next season, I’d take either back over what we’ve got to be honest. 

McCart likely one who happens late in this window? Doubt he rejoins us next Summer though.

Zero chance of Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCart likely one who happens late in this window? Doubt he rejoins us next Summer though.

Zero chance of Mitchell.

I mean I didn’t say anything about either of them actually joining or whether they were feasible, only I’d take them over what we’ve got currently? 

1 minute ago, Widge said:

I mean I didn’t say anything about either of them actually joining or whether they were feasible, only I’d take them over what we’ve got currently? 

You could name about 90% of our former players and that would be true, so just assumed youd name checked them for a reason.

I do think McCart on loan could happen if finances worked out.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

After Mitchell saying Lincoln is a step up from Saints he can get right tae f**k. 

😂

I've no idea whether it is or it isn't but if it is then Lincoln are in big trouble. Folk seem to rate him after his loan spell at Saints but for me he aside 2-3 performances at the start of the season he was as poor as anyone else and often made a complete arse of even the most basic defending. Fluffed clearances, missed headers etc. 

That's when he wasn't volleying the ball back to his own keeper at head height 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

😂

I've no idea whether it is or it isn't but if it is then Lincoln are in big trouble. Folk seem to rate him after his loan spell at Saints but for me he aside 2-3 performances at the start of the season he was as poor as anyone else and often made a complete arse of even the most basic defending. Fluffed clearances, missed headers etc. 

That's when he wasn't volleying the ball back to his own keeper at head height 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The English Grant Hanley. Built for egg chasing but trying to play the beautiful game.

FWIW I'd actually take them both over Liam Gordon at the minute.

Its easy to forget Mitchell is only 21.

Same age as Max, younger than Sinclair, Olufunwa, and Ballantyne.

He needs to improve technically and experience should help him defensively, but hes so good physically his potential feels massive.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

After Mitchell saying Lincoln is a step up from Saints he can get right tae f**k. 

I have learnt not to take what players say to literally. 
It’s just easier for players to say where they are playing is better/step up to keep fans onside. I think he said similar when he was here.  He is hardly going to say that level is sh*t and a step down from where he was previously. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

1 minute ago, derektaylor84 said:

I have learnt not to take what players say to literally. 
It’s just easier for players to say where they are playing is better/step up to keep fans onside. I think he said similar when he was here.  He is hardly going to say that level is sh*t and a step down from where he was previously. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

If you think Lincoln City in League one in England is a step up from the Scottish Premiership then you are a no righter in my eyes and are welcome to wallow in the depths of hoofball for all of eternity.