Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Not seeing very many voices in defence of Macca.

I’d like to chip in here. He’s a club legend and inherited a total shite show. Surely he’s got to given time, even if just to learn from his mistakes and bounce back stronger? Chopping and changing isn’t the answer, particularly for a family club like Sainties. 

Davidson deserved the bullet but I couldn't see you being this inept under him and that's some going considering how bad it got back under him. MacLean is going to be record breaking bad.

Really needs to be a case of get anyone in but him as opposed to a shout of, 'But who else is there?!' That is so often the last defence of supporters of a manager that needs to urgently go.

Edited by Ludo*1

31 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Not seeing very many voices in defence of Macca.

I think most fans have been patient with him because of what he inherited but i feel today was a turning point.

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Davidson deserved the bullet but I couldn't see you being this inept under him and that's some going considering how bad it got back under him. MacLean is going to be record breaking bad.

Worth mentioning Davidson took us on a 12 game winless run with a squad better than this one in 21/22. I'm really not a fan of this simmering "sacking Davidson was wrong because MacLeans been a disaster" narrative thats creeping up just now.

We seem to quite clearly be going down with MacLean but guess the club won't want to be seen as a sacking club, as you get trapped into hiring short term managers that way. Theres a kind of weird logic to just accepting relegation with MacLean while making plans to replace him in the Summer as it shows managers we'll give them a chance, its fucking stupid to me as theres still a chance to turn it around this early, but theres a logic there.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning Davidson took us on a 12 game winless run with a squad better than this one in 21/22. I'm really not a fan of this simmering "sacking Davidson was wrong because MacLeans been a disaster" narrative thats creeping up just now.

We seem to quite clearly be going down with MacLean but guess the club won't want to be seen as a sacking club, as you get trapped into hiring short term managers that way. Theres a kind of weird logic to just accepting relegation with MacLean while making plans to replace him in the Summer as it shows managers we'll give them a chance, its fucking stupid to me as theres still a chance to turn it around this early, but theres a logic there.

There's more red flags at the moment than anything else so if there's any chance at staying up it's going to involve another manager and coaching team. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

its fucking stupid to me as theres still a chance to turn it around this early, 

Lol. Still not at the ‘acceptance’ stage yet. Your big problem is that other than you lot, nobody else is utter dog shite. I’d love to see big Yogi coming in. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

But, however rank we currently are, with the right results in Midweek we could be within 2 points of 2 teams and 3 of another with a game in hand.

Not that I'm saying this team or manager will achieve that, but, if we make a change now, there is still plenty of time for someone to turn this around.

As much as I want MacLean to have succeeded, I just cannot see this team under him doing enough.

Time to be grown up as a club and get someone more experienced in, with his own coaches and see where we can get to between now and January. Get to the window and give a new manager time to see what is needed and get some of these players as far away from the team as possible. 

Just now, Saint Paddy said:

Whiff of the mcghee in that one.

How did that work out for you?

Fucking awful. But if you sack MacLean who decent could you attract? Would the board go down on their knees and plead with Tommy to come back?

Sacking Davidson was absolutely the right decision, taken far too late. Hiring his assistant was both lazy and a disaster waiting to happen, only compounded by giving him a three year contract. Absolutely crazy. 

13 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

But, however rank we currently are, with the right results in Midweek we could be within 2 points of 2 teams and 3 of another with a game in hand.

Not that I'm saying this team or manager will achieve that, but, if we make a change now, there is still plenty of time for someone to turn this around.

As much as I want MacLean to have succeeded, I just cannot see this team under him doing enough.

Time to be grown up as a club and get someone more experienced in, with his own coaches and see where we can get to between now and January. Get to the window and give a new manager time to see what is needed and get some of these players as far away from the team as possible. 

Aye its certainly not impossible, think Partick in 15/16 had less points than us at this stage, and scored less, yet finished comfortably safe.

Not wanting to stick the boot in. But I said before and I will say again. The appointment of Maclean smacks of our appointment of Hammell. A club legend and the easy option especially after a few positive results. 

He may well be a nice guy but by Christ he has all the charisma of a dead mollusk. Reminds me of when we appointed Maurice Malpish. Would send you to sleep. You expect him to motivate a team. Nah. 

I hope he is charge when we visit in little over a week. Even though your 1st win is probably a banker 🤔