Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I’d been a fairly regular viewer of A View from the Terrace up until recently. They’ve obviously done very well and therefore this won’t bother them at all, but I listened to a couple of their podcasts earlier in the season and it has completely changed my viewpoint. I’d always assumed they were anoraks with an all-round knowledge of Scottish football, but their takes on St Johnstone have been so off the mark that I pay absolutely no attention to their content now. It’s a shame really. 

They’re generally pretty good, and I’m a big fan of the podcast(while not actually being that into the TV show) I think they’ve just genuinely seen much less of us this season due to various members jobs/lives changing and we’ve been pretty abject on highlights etc so they’re understandably not getting the subtly of us not just being shite. I think the format changes they’ve introduced have made for better coverage of teams they don’t support generally. Jamie Beatson and yer man Sean from the courier have appeared in the last few seasons covering us in depth.

Joel is def on less and he seems to have an active soft spot for us. I may be totally wrong but think he’s pals with Spoony’s brother.

30 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I was planning to come up for the Hearts match, but I’m assuming my chances of securing a brief are slim and I should travel up the following week to see us getting pumped by Celtic?

Not sure what the allocation is? I'd expect you'd be in with a fair shout of a ticket. You'll know on Friday morning.

34 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

They’re generally pretty good, and I’m a big fan of the podcast(while not actually being that into the TV show) I think they’ve just genuinely seen much less of us this season due to various members jobs/lives changing and we’ve been pretty abject on highlights etc so they’re understandably not getting the subtly of us not just being shite. I think the format changes they’ve introduced have made for better coverage of teams they don’t support generally. Jamie Beatson and yer man Sean from the courier have appeared in the last few seasons covering us in depth.

Joel is def on less and he seems to have an active soft spot for us. I may be totally wrong but think he’s pals with Spoony’s brother.

I've listened on and off for a while and it seems to me that one presenter (Craig Fowler I think) seems have a particularly anti Saints thing. Keeps going on about us having the worst squad in the league (not sure about that) and has a real issue with James Brown (which is sort of understandable). Seems to behave a bit better when Sean Hamilton from the Courier podcast is on though.

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Yeah, Craig Fowler is the main culprit. I’m a very petty guy though, so all of his cohorts are guilty by association and I’m boycotting them.

The chubby Hibs fan if he's on the podcast will be quiet now I imagine. 

He was foaming with excitement on the TV about Saints getting relegated. "Saints are going down and it's fully deserved" type stuff 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I’d been a fairly regular viewer of A View from the Terrace up until recently. They’ve obviously done very well and therefore this won’t bother them at all, but I listened to a couple of their podcasts earlier in the season and it has completely changed my viewpoint. I’d always assumed they were anoraks with an all-round knowledge of Scottish football, but their takes on St Johnstone have been so off the mark that I pay absolutely no attention to their content now. It’s a shame really. 

Fair play for lasting so long. I watched the first series as it was something different but didn’t last much longer than that. 

Some of the features were very good; the Arbroath short Wes Anderson film was brilliant, and one of the most original football items I’ve seen.

The studio chat didn’t do much for me; never found it particularly entertaining or insightful, and at times a bit cringy and self-indulgent.

All about opinions though, and it will hopefully have opened the door for something better in future.

Maybe interesting quotes from Levein in the same article too.

“DJ is training,” said Levein. “He’s a strong boy, I’ve seen that. Can he play 90 minutes? I don’t know.

“We are hoping to get a game organised on Thursday to see some of the guys who I haven’t seen other than in training two or three times.

“Watching them in training and playing games are two things altogether. I will get to see him and some others on Thursday.

“I can go and watch video of them but that’s not my way of making an opinion of players – what their attributes are. I will get to see DJ and Luke Jephcott.

“I am sure there are some guys here who can help. I just need a better idea of what we’ve got.

“I’m in the dark at the minute about who I am best to bring on in certain situations.

“I am looking forward to seeing who can help us.”

10 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Likewise, ive been a listener for years and have noticed the slow drift towards "professionalism". The days when Craig Fowler used to watch every game in full have long gone as they have got proper jobs etc. Sadly that means they seem to drift towards the same St Johnstone clichés that we have got used to from the traditional media. If a player has a bad game against Hearts/OF then thats whats shapes opinion for the next year or so. 

I've heard them say stuff about how the double isn't that big an achievement too. Would stress it's not all of the contributors and some do have a better handle on Saints, but the views have gone from being pretty on the money and insightful about us years ago to lazy and petty. It must be difficult for clubs of other non- OF fans to watch on as we've had a ridiculously successful decade when we're classed as a smaller club than the ones the bulk of them  support, but there is sometimes a bitterness towards Saints that I didn't sense before. 

Edited by Kyle

11 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I was planning to come up for the Hearts match, but I’m assuming my chances of securing a brief are slim and I should travel up the following week to see us getting pumped by Celtic?

10 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Not sure what the allocation is? I'd expect you'd be in with a fair shout of a ticket. You'll know on Friday morning.

Allocation is 650 so I still think there’ll be a pretty good chance of getting tickets on Friday, although I can’t see them staying on sale long on Friday. 

8 hours ago, The Saintee said:

With Clark out for that timeframe we need Jephcott or May to step up. 

Kane never gets near double figures.

Yeah, Clark being out is bad news.  But we know Stevie is better in a two, so get him and Kano up front.  The last thing we should do is revert to one up top. I'd also be getting Kane signed to the end of the season. 

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Fair play for lasting so long. I watched the first series as it was something different but didn’t last much longer than that. 

Some of the features were very good; the Arbroath short Wes Anderson film was brilliant, and one of the most original football items I’ve seen.

The studio chat didn’t do much for me; never found it particularly entertaining or insightful, and at times a bit cringy and self-indulgent.

All about opinions though, and it will hopefully have opened the door for something better in future.

This but after a single episode. 

I got asked to do something on it, think it was just like a wee short opinion piece of like 10 seconds for something, but neither had the time to do it or the ability to say what i actually mean properly.

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

It must be difficult for clubs of other non- OF fans to watch on as we've had a ridiculously successful decade when we're classed as a smaller club than the ones the bulk of them  support, but there is sometimes a bitterness towards Saints that I didn't sense before. 

Definitely the case. You only have to see the joy amongst other clubs’ supporters on here as we looked to be dead certs for relegation. Expect they’ll all be back if we go on another poor run.

Have to say it’s very understated in Scottish football how big a failure clubs like Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts are. With their supports and budgets, for all three of them to win so little for so long is an achievement in itself. No one’s realistically expecting them to challenge for a title or anything, but surely they could stand up to the OF in a cup semi or final once in a while?!

Since we’ve been back in the top division, the 15 year non-OF roll of honour is:

St Johnstone    3

Inverness CT    1

Ross County     1

Kilmarnock       1

Dundee Utd      1

Aberdeen          1

Hearts                1

Hibs                    1

st Mirren            1