Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

There's Macca confirming Hallberg is away on the post match Saints TV interview. He's gone from saying the offer is on the table until we've brought someone else in to giving him a 24 hour deadline yesterday and confirming it's a no in the space of a few days. Presumably means he's got someone lined up for that role that was maybe time sensitive and gave Hallberg one last chance before pressing forward with a potential new signing. 

Hallberg was ok but not worth waiting forever for. I'm glad we've stopped the charade now. 

Goalkeepers 

Ross Sinclair - 2024 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024 

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025 

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Chris Kane - January 2024  

Taylor Steven - 2024

Loans ended 

Remi Matthews

Alex Mitchell 

Adam Montgomery 

Connor McLennan 

Zak Rudden

Left the club 

Elliot Parish

Bobby Dailly

David Wotherspoon 

Spencer Moreland 

William Sandford

Murray Davidson

Melker Hallberg

Charlie Gilmour

Michael O’Halloran 

Jamie Murphy

Eetu Vertainen

Theo Bair

I make it that 17 players have now left the club, no new signings and we have a squad of 21 in and around the first team still. 

Wills picking up a bad injury seems to be doing the rounds so you'd have to imagine that'll hasten the need to sign another goalkeeper. We're down to a 16/17 year old as the back up right now. 

GMS is surely more like a Dunfermline target, with the idea theyve very few wingers and have O'Halloran training with them, than an us signing?

We cant have absolute crocks in the side if we're going with a smaller squad, and thats what he is.

On top of that he hasn't shown much in a long time that would suggest he's capable of playing at Premiership level anymore. 

Like I said before if it is true consistent game time might allow him to prove me very wrong but like Random Guy said he's always injured so he'd likely struggle to play regularly. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

GMS is surely more like a Dunfermline target, with the idea theyve very few wingers and have O'Halloran training with them, than an us signing?

We cant have absolute crocks in the side if we're going with a smaller squad, and thats what he is.

That was my hope. It makes zero sense to release Murphy and spoony then sign GMS 

11 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

That was my hope. It makes zero sense to release Murphy and spoony then sign GMS 

Aye pretty much my thoughts. Youre taking on the most injury prone of the 3 and its not as if GMS isnt flaky form wise either. Does he press well? Genuinely cant remember but i dont think hes that interested in it.

Probably unfair but he feels like a winger version of Crawford.

A signing we'd have made over the past few years, but not a chance in this window, if the idea i have that MacLean wants a younger, smaller, squad is right.

Doubt we’re signing GMS, makes no sense in terms of age, style and fitness. I know we’ve not seen any signing yet, but I trust McLean not to go down that route! 

Its genuinely mental, but every time i start having doubts about this season i end up reading a MacLean interview and you just feel better about things.

Squad depth looks awful so close to the first game, yet he says hes refusing to bulk up the squad with the wrong signings, and you agree. Squad over the past few years been filled with these types and this is where we are due to that.

This season could be a disaster, but it feels like hes going to set proper foundations the best as he can, while also stopping us from "legacy" issues (like a 2.5yr deal for Crawford) which helps us build in future. 

First game together for the season and yes a bit Meh! Thought we came in to the game and had our best spell when McGowan went to RB and Ballantyne got more involved in the paly making!

Youngsters played away and some at least look like they can play football ! Thought of the youngsters Parker, Steven did what was asked of them Ferguson a bit lost at RB and was up against a fairley bulked up Lewis McCann so got a few knocks and eventually was replaced!

Of the other youngsters that came on for me the number 21 McCrystal looked tidy and committed enough however when you see the likes of the reserve goalkeeper we had out he looked the smallest person on the field so hopefully he can stretch a bit, but we massivley need another keeper in pronto.(       

4 minutes ago, Center half said:

First game together for the season and yes a bit Meh! Thought we came in to the game and had our best spell when McGowan went to RB and Ballantyne got more involved in the paly making!

Youngsters played away and some at least look like they can play football ! Thought of the youngsters Parker, Steven did what was asked of them Ferguson a bit lost at RB and was up against a fairley bulked up Lewis McCann so got a few knocks and eventually was replaced!

Of the other youngsters that came on for me the number 21 McCrystal looked tidy and committed enough however when you see the likes of the reserve goalkeeper we had out he looked the smallest person on the field so hopefully he can stretch a bit, but we massivley need another keeper in pronto.(       

I wasn't at the game last night but my thoughts are:

7 players injured - 3/4 of them will be in our best XI

Somewhere between 3-5 new signings? Likely all go into our best XI IF the purchases are right.

So in summary? I am not overly concerned about the line up. Like Macca said, it about getting game time in the legs so have to keep the faith with that.

"In order to rise from its own ashes, a Phoenix first must burn." - Anon

Was a better workout than I feared it might be after 20 minutes. Wouldn't say there was enough in it to be optimistic but it at least served a purpose. In that opening quarter, I was worried it wasn't even going to do that.

We are unfortunately going to have to treat the League Cup as friendlies again but hopefully this time next year we have a far more settled look and are back to being St Johnstone.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Was a better workout than I feared it might be after 20 minutes. Wouldn't say there was enough in it to be optimistic but it at least served a purpose. In that opening quarter, I was worried it wasn't even going to do that.

We are unfortunately going to have to treat the League Cup as friendlies again but hopefully this time next year we have a far more settled look and are back to being St Johnstone.

Fingers crossed mate

"St Johnstone were 'disgusting' to play against" - Dominik Thalhammer

Without ever reading too much into friendlies, some thoughts on players:

Everything would suggest Carey is best suited to the wide left role but noticeable how Steven managed to keep Comrie pinned back far more. Carey runs around a lot but he was nowhere to be seen when Comrie was getting the freedom the park down the right. And I don't like him in central midfield. Definitely a potential problem.

Ryan McGowan breaks up play well and that holding role is probably the one I prefer him in but it was also noticeable how much more of a grip we got of possession even with Ballantyne in that deeper role. I think McGowan will obviously bring his versatility this season but in terms of starting games he has be used more sparingly or selected for the right matches.

Could that wide left role be the fit for Stevie May? He works hard and likes to link and it takes him away from needing to be the hold up man? Would also then help accommodate two of May and Clark/Kane.

Ben McCrystal can be really pleased with that debut. A few too many silly fouls and obviously the ball use does need to be better but looked comfortable which is always the first thing you want to see.

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

Could that wide left role be the fit for Stevie May? He works hard and likes to link and it takes him away from needing to be the hold up man? Would also then help accommodate two of May and Clark/Kane.

For me, aye, and I’ve thought this for a while. Different story if we’re playing two strikers, but we’re not. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

For me, aye, and I’ve thought this for a while. Different story if we’re playing two strikers, but we’re not. 

We have to find away to take better advantage of Stevie May's legs, effort and endeavour per game.

He has so much potential to bring others into the play in the final third and link the midfield to the front line. I guess it depends on his fitness, squad fitness and who else we manage to bring in.

I take it Kucheravyi is injured?

“There is absolutely no one, apart from yourself, who can prevent you, in the middle of the night, from sneaking down to tidy up the edges of that hunk of cheese at the back of the fridge.” - Boris Johnson

9 minutes ago, 1985Saint said:

We have to find away to take better advantage of Stevie May's legs, effort and endeavour per game.

He has so much potential to bring others into the play in the final third and link the midfield to the front line. I guess it depends on his fitness, squad fitness and who else we manage to bring in.

I take it Kucheravyi is injured?

“There is absolutely no one, apart from yourself, who can prevent you, in the middle of the night, from sneaking down to tidy up the edges of that hunk of cheese at the back of the fridge.” - Boris Johnson

Kucheravyi was hit in the eye and due to swelling couldn't put contacts in. 

Hallberg staying and playing an advanced role and getting into the box with late runs was probably the plan to allow May to drift and run about. 

33 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Kucheravyi was hit in the eye and due to swelling couldn't put contacts in. 

Hallberg staying and playing an advanced role and getting into the box with late runs was probably the plan to allow May to drift and run about. 

Should have gotten him some Edgar Davids goggles!! 

4 hours ago, Center half said:

when you see the likes of the reserve goalkeeper we had out he looked the smallest person on the field so hopefully he can stretch a bit, but we massivley need another keeper in pronto.(       

Kyle is only 16 and being on the bench last night came way earlier than he would have expected . I am sure he will "stretch" in time.

I would expect a back up keeper to come in asap as even Jack Wills would not have expected to be the back up keeper this season before his injury.