Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, The Saintee said:

His confidence should have been sky high after the double season and being made captain.

Maybe it rattled him that nobody wanted to sign him.

Half wonder if that’s part of the issue. Been largely poor since then. 

7 hours ago, The Saintee said:

His confidence should have been sky high after the double season and being made captain.

It wouldve been, then a few months later hes as low as he can get as hes captaining a side to the bottom of the league and the whole squad looks hopeless. 

Its not an excuse, really, but i do think hes better than hes showing and could turn it around quite quickly.

Hes one of many he needs to step up though. The squad is clearly staring at a relegation battle for me, so the big earners who have experience at this level need to earn it.

Slept on it. Still pissed off. 

Jephcott isn’t fit, whilst you can see his ability, he’s probably about 2 weeks away, such is the problem with recruiting free agents. 

Considine needs dropped, but Parker’s not good enough. The next permanent needs to be a CB, we can’t keep kicking the can down the road by signing loanees. Gordon, at the least needs captaincy removed and told to just focus on his game. 

Can’t help but think had we spent less time trying to persuade Hallberg to stay he wouldn’t need to kid himself that Max is ready, he’s good enough, but not strong enough still. 

Also, Gallacher was yet again our best player. 

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

This is true to a point, but that starting 11 is one that should (on paper at least) be beating Ayr. This squad has nowhere enough in it for the league, but in this group should have enough to beat the 2 sides we have lost to. That cannot be blamed on Davidson.

Club has to be pressed into getting bodies in the door over the next 3-4 days. May have to sacrifice something somewhere to tempt a couple of serious central defenders as we cannot conceivably go through a season with both, or either, Gordon and Considine playing each week. Ideal signing(s) would be an out and out CD and a right sided one that can play right back to, in the Dave MacKay mould. If Brown isn't fit enough for Hearts, he effectively needs replaced.

Despite all above, I'd say we have 15/16 proper first team players now and of those 2/3 are questionable as to whether they are premiership standard. So, 3/4 in the door of the right age and quality and I think we'd have enough about us this season to not go down. 

Should it though? Minus Akinyemi that’s the team that finished 2nd in the championship last season, on paper this squad would lucky to make the play offs.

1 minute ago, vince sinclair said:

Who was your number 9? Absolute “dug meat”  Despite the ending throughly enjoyed it.  Totally surpassed expectations from our side of things. All the best for the season 

Our number 9 never played 🤣

9 minutes ago, 1985Saint said:

This isn't all on CD....Macca was guilty by association as part of the previous regime and he has also been in charge since April

Who signed the Players?

Macca can input as much as he wants as an assistant, did Davidson have final say? Of course he did and he had the same attitude as bulletproof, his way or none at all.

The only questions Macca should be answering are, Why did you stay so long when your input meant so little? And Have you lost the dressing room already?

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Who signed the Players?

Macca can input as much as he wants as an assistant, did Davidson have final say? Of course he did and he had the same attitude as bulletproof, his way or none at all.

The only questions Macca should be answering are, Why did you stay so long when your input meant so little? And Have you lost the dressing room already?

I understand that.

Where Macca is not blameless is that he is talking us up pre matches, saying we are going to play a pressing, high tempo style. Saying we are going to go and at least try to win every game.

I have been at every game this season and I have seen little evidence of what Macca saying translating to what I am seeing on the pitch. Of course, I am not wetting myself with excitement at beating Alloa 4-0.

To me, Macca looks out of his depth. I think he desperately would benefit from a DoF style, experienced head around him who can hold his hand a bit.

Failure to do that means Macca will fail.

4 minutes ago, 1985Saint said:

saying we are going to play a pressing, high tempo style.

FWIW, Stirling did a better job of this against Ayr than Saints did. Tougher on a bigger pitch obviously, but a clear difference between the two.

9 minutes ago, 1985Saint said:

To me, Macca looks out of his depth. I think he desperately would benefit from a DoF style, experienced head around him who can hold his hand a bit.

Failure to do that means Macca will fail.

Like Gus MacPherson?

You may well be right, but it’s a bit premature to be saying he’s out his depth tbh. You’re expecting him to implement a style that’s the total opposite from what’s gone before him, with largely the same squad. 

What style Macca would like to play and the style these current players can play are totally different things. Sure he shouldn't be forcing players to do things they clearly cannot do, but I'd say his hands are loosely tied at the minute, mainly due to the mismanagement of those in charge before him.

A high pressing young athletic side who can pass the ball should be the basics for every single side on the planet. Can Saints find this with a slashed budget and ageing players with years left on their contracts? I don't think it's possible without the youngsters stepping up, which I also don't think is possible. 

Good experienced managers adapt to the players they have at their disposal, Tommy Wright for example was a master of this. Davidson and thus far MacLean have not. I’ll give MacLean a little leeway since he’s obviously still bringing guys in to play the system, but what if they get injured you need to have a plan b, c and d ready for use. 

35 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Like Gus MacPherson?

You may well be right, but it’s a bit premature to be saying he’s out his depth tbh. You’re expecting him to implement a style that’s the total opposite from what’s gone before him, with largely the same squad. 

I dont care what the question is but Gus MacPherson is not the solution

St Mirren - Played 289 - Won 101 - Drew 83 - Lost 105 - Win % 34.95%

Queen of the South - Played 42 - Won 10 - Drew 12 - Lost 20 - Win % 23.81%

Queens Park - Played 211 - Won 72 - Drew 57 - Lost 82 - Win % 34.12%

Morton - Played 37 - Won 9 - Drew 16 - Lost 12 - Win % 24.32%

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

Good experienced managers adapt to the players they have at their disposal, Tommy Wright for example was a master of this. Davidson and thus far MacLean have not. I’ll give MacLean a little leeway since he’s obviously still bringing guys in to play the system, but what if they get injured you need to have a plan b, c and d ready for use. 

Last night there was not a clear Plan A