Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

At 2-0 and knowing the fragility of some of our players, passing it about waiting for the right openings was exactly the right gameplan. If County scored(unlikely I know) then that defence may have shit the bed. There was no need other than to improve the goal difference for going baws oot, it's too big a gamble to take.

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

At 2-0 and knowing the fragility of some of our players, passing it about waiting for the right openings was exactly the right gameplan. If County scored(unlikely I know) then that defence may have shit the bed. There was no need other than to improve the goal difference for going baws oot, it's too big a gamble to take.

Pretty much how I seen it too. The conversation at half time looked like it was "let them come to you" and to avoid taking risks that would  have given them a sniff of getting back into the game. Which makes sense as eventually if County wanted anything they'd need to get the ball off us and that would require them to break the defensive shape. 

I appreciate people wanted more entertainment and a few were getting really quite upset but they killed them off well and showed a bit of professionalism and calm that they often lack.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

As most have said the most important thing yesterday was 3 points. Getting 3 goals and a clean sheet was a bonus. One of the biggest things for me yesterday was it looked like we had actually been on the training pitch this week. A couple of set pieces which clearly they had worked on. Releasing the full backs in advanced positions. Getting Smith and Holt to link with wide players. All stuff that would have been worked on during the week. Not sure we can say that about any of the regimes over the last few seasons. Think I’d be working on the tempo and transferring the ball from defence but it was an encouraging start 

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Did it look like there was a bigger emphasis on players pressing more yesterday? Seemed like they were pressing in packs at times.

I think there was more a plan about what to do behind the press, if that makes sense? 

Like players seemed to have instructions about where to cover depending on who went forward.

Do worry better sides will find a lot of space if we play that shape in games against them but at the same time you won't know until you try it. This season might be about Valakari figuring out what's best for the players he has/can get.

On 20/10/2024 at 08:12, RandomGuy. said:

Liked this one.

editorial-use-no-use-unauthorised-942038148_6a830c.thumb.webp.782b31e8efa14d65c5c47bf3b599125c.webp

Just to add to this, I'm fairly sure (unless anyone on here knows better?) that the guy on Simo's right is his son Paavo, who I believe has been helping with training. Looks a bit different in the below photo but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy:

image.jpeg.edd3eb21f18f5e3e636133e5ff213857.jpeg

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah Sidibehs reaction was poor, refusing to go off next to Kirk and then refused to shake anyone's hand, before going up the tunnel (before coming back out). It's not a great look if clubs are looking at him as a signing and Kimpiokas there working like f**k and scoring.

He definitely shook Andy Kirk's hand, FWIW. I was watching closely because it looked to me like he was going to snub everyone, and it looked like when Kirk stuck his hand out Sidibeh didn't shake it at first because he had his head down and didn't see it. Just as Kirk was pulling his hand away, Sidibeh noticed it and turned back and shook it.

I don't think any of it's a massive deal TBH. It could just as easily be read as him being annoyed at his own performance, rather than being annoyed at others for substituting him. I think he'll come good again and hope the fans don't start getting on his back, as I'm a bit concerned there have been a few early signs of that starting to happen.