Copa America 2019 (previously the CA 2016 Thread)

Cerberus

I was in a bar in Orlando last week and they had the Brazil Haiti game on, it seemed to be on 2 different channels as well.

To be fair I think we were the only people paying much attention to it though

The games are on Fox for English viewers and Univision for Spanish. Most likely just a feed from those two different networks.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see this tournament will trial going straight to penalties without extra-time in event of a draw after 90 mins during the quarter and semi final stages. Returns to normal for final.

Not something I'd like to see introduced but I can't help thinking it's a trial with a view to potential implications of heat fatigue on players at the Qatar World Cup, assuming it doesn't get pulled.

http://www.ca2016.com/article/copa-america-centenario-local-organizing-committee-announces-revised-game-regulations

I see this tournament will trial going straight to penalties without extra-time in event of a draw after 90 mins during the quarter and semi final stages. Returns to normal for final.

Not something I'd like to see introduced but I can't help thinking it's a trial with a view to potential implications of heat fatigue on players at the Qatar World Cup, assuming it doesn't get pulled.

http://www.ca2016.com/article/copa-america-centenario-local-organizing-committee-announces-revised-game-regulations

Was that not always the case? Pretty sure the Copa always goes straight to penalties until the final, certainly was last year

Cheers. That's a shame. Maybe if they beat Argentina and get to the final the excitement will build.

Went to Sports Media Watch to check out the actual numbers.

USA v. Columbia - 1.3 million viewers

USA v. Costa RIca - 1.6

USA v. Paraguay - 2.06

USA v Ecuador - 2.13

USA group stage matches at the last Gold Cup averages 1 million viewers, so I suppose this is bigger than a normal North American tournament. But it's nowhere near a giant sports event.

For comparison, here's a few other sporting events going on right now.

NBA FInals Game 6 - 20.7

Stanley Cup Game 6 - 5.4

England v. Russia, which has been the most watched Euro match - 1.2

As Messi and co move into the Semis of the Copa America and Messi moves on to top scorer in the tournament, surely nobody can reasonably suggest Ronaldo is on his level now?

Even flying past all the penalties scored at home to Granada et al, his overall game is just so much better, he enhances the players around him too, while ensuring he is far from his team's only outlet, rather than demanding to be it.

Undoubtedly the greatest of all time.

I thought the Mexico Chile match would be a close game. I was slightly off......

Slightly! Thought it would be the pick of the Quarters entertainment wise. Not disappointed.

Sweet Jesus! What happened to Mexico? I checked the score at work and it was 2-0 just before the half. I get home turn on the TV and I see 7-0 scroll across bottom. Haha. What a pleasant surprise.

This US v. Argentina game has the potential to be the biggest soccer match to take place in the US. I guess you could say the '94 World Cup, but based on my memory as an 11 year old people were kind of confused about the event and a bunch of people ignored it. I remember a couple other kids trying to explain that it was the biggest event in the world and none of us believing them. It was the first pretty much any of us had even heard of the event. Everyone knows who Messi is and everyone knows that Argentina is a soccer power. People don't know what the Copa America, but if they can be alerted that this is a big deal historical tournament and that the US is playing Messi's Argentina it could be huge. We will see.

I kind of want to fly down to Houston for the match. I've been to a Stanley Cup Finals, NBA Finals, and a Copa America match in the past few weeks, so I've already busted my sports budget all to hell. I'm gonna think hard about it.

Crikey! I've watched most of this and going in to the QF, I'd have put Mexico firm favourites pre-match, also pretty much a home game for Mexico.

Chile haven't been great under Pizzi. They were very fortunate to beat Bolivia with a late penalty, but that is some win last night.

The semi-finals look very good.

Archived