The TV Coverage Thread

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand commentators sometimes talking pish as having to constantly give useful and interesting info for 90 minutes its probably hard to avoid sometimes. 

This is what I don't understand. Why do they feel the need to witter inane rubbish for 90 minutes? TV is a visual medium. We can see what's going on. Ok, identify players, scorers and maybe clarify some points but that's it. You don't get a running commentary over the tannoy when you're at a game so why on the TV? 

ITV getting Bilic has been an amazing decision. I'd have him on every game.

even the simple fact that he seems to research the teams and knows players that dont play the EPL puts him well above most pundits

5 in the studio, 3 in the commentary box and Gabby Logan pitchside for the BBC today.

9 people for 90 minutes of football ffs.

Ridiculous, isn't it. I'm still getting my head round the need to change commentators half way through a half for radio games. Only the BBC need to do it unsurprisingly.

The coverage itself hasn't actually been too bad this tournament.  Both BBC and ITV have decent enough pundits to call on.  Lawrenson has gone way beyond being an annoyance, and is now a bit of a joy to listen to.  He either really doesn't give a f**k about being there, or he's doing a brilliant job of playing that role.  Some of his comments have been confusing gold.  Only minus mark was his sneering "why do you know that" to the main commentator when he pulled out an obscure stat about a referee.  

But the online coverage for ITV has let it down massively.  Can't get a decent stream of it anywhere, while BBC remains crystal clear most of the time.  Plus BBCs option to rewind through incidents, and overall presentation makes it much better.

Ridiculous, isn't it. I'm still getting my head round the need to change commentators half way through a half for radio games. Only the BBC need to do it unsurprisingly.

they were worst during the world cup and had 2 or 3 changes of commentators during some of the games 

they were worst during the world cup and had 2 or 3 changes of commentators during some of the games 

That used to annoy me about BBC Radio 5 Live when I used to listen to games before I got Sky.  However I thought they were meant to have stopped that practise a few years ago due to costs...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/oct/25/bbc-radio-5-live-commentator

That used to annoy me about BBC Radio 5 Live when I used to listen to games before I got Sky. However I thought they were meant to have stopped that practise a few years ago due to costs...

Thinking of it as getting fifty percent less Alan Green.

Can't say it really bothers me. I quite like Five Live's sports coverage.

That used to annoy me about BBC Radio 5 Live when I used to listen to games before I got Sky.  However I thought they were meant to have stopped that practise a few years ago due to costs...

i only relay noticed them doing it during the knock out stages of the World Cup 

What experts have they got on? I remember watching games in Canada before and they had some auld Scottsh bloke I'd never heard of.

This year's Canadian coverage on TSN, our version of ESPN, has Jason De Vos and some guy called Kristian Jack as the two main analysts, and I haven't a clue who is presenting it. That's the usual line up for the EPL games during the season as well.

We have also had guest appearances from Steven Caldwell and John Herdman, the Canadian women's team coach. Despite the lack quality and experience it actually hasn't been too bad. Although, they did present some of the show before the Hungary Iceland game today dressed like this:

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/744195116831735809

This year's Canadian coverage on TSN, our version of ESPN, has Jason De Vos and some guy called Kristian Jack as the two main analysts, and I haven't a clue who is presenting it. That's the usual line up for the EPL games during the season as well.

We have also had guest appearances from Steven Caldwell and John Herdman, the Canadian women's team coach. Despite the lack quality and experience it actually hasn't been too bad. Although, they did present some of the show before the Hungary Iceland game today dressed like this:

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/744195116831735809

Jason De Vos is excellent. The TSN feed is my back up to ESPN, which just featured Craig Burley and Steve McManaman singing.

Archived