Third Place Finishers

jmothecat

Sweden/Southern Ireland will be one of the losers IMO: I think that Albania are most likely to drop out.

Would love to see TFS taking an absolute hammering and get papped out though. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not looking great for Albania. Need NI to take a tanking from Germany, and that would likely involve NI moving from their own six-yard line.

Real shame South Ireland can't go out on goals scored, or number of fouls, something ridiculous like that.

Hope Northern Ireland can somehow get a draw tomorrow otherwise it will be a tense wait for them.

They needn't play the way they played against Poland.

Can't see them playing quite the way against Ukraine.

Somewhere in-between, could get a draw.

Wales now face the 3rd placed team from Group A, C or D.

How is it determined which one they are playing if two or all 3 make the cut?

Is there a draw?

Winners of D play 3rd place B/E/F

Winners of A (France) play 3rd C/D/E

and

Winners of C play 3rd A/B/F

All very confusing (to me, at least).

Big day today for the third placers. Group C could see Germany, Poland or Northern Ireland finishing third, though in all likelihood it will be Northern Ireland. The big question will be whether they could somehow get a draw, and if not how little damage they can do to their goal difference.

Group D is basically a straight race between Turkey and Czech Republic. A Czech win would put them on 4 points and depending on the Northern Ireland result probably be enough. If they win by 2 goals they will be through.

Turkey need to win and probably by a few goals, at least 2, to have a realistic chance of progression.

A draw and Czechs finish third on 2 points, with a goal difference of -1, unlikely to be enough. .

3rd place qualifiers has ruined this tournament. Absolutely no drama as basically everyone apart from the utter dross are through. Nobody having a real go with do or die games. Pure crap.

I think that was true for the first three groups, but for the latter three it should be more tense. Particularly the four games tomorrow.

The teams who play later get an advantage as well. They know what result they need to qualify- which defeats the purpose of playing the final 2 group games at the same time- they aren't competing against group members they are competing against everyone across the groups.

Complete and utter shambles.

Northern Ireland through. Turkey probably will be but will have to wait until tomorrow to be sure.

Updated table:

Slovakia 4 (0)

Northern Ireland 3 (0)

Turkey 3 (-2)

Albania 3 (-2)

Portugal 2 (0)

Sweden 1 (-1)

I've probably got this wrong but I think Northern Ireland will face France if neither Ireland nor Sweden win tomorrow, or Wales if Ireland do and Sweden lose or draw or Ireland do and Sweden do but only by three goals or fewer, or Ireland don't and Sweden draw or Ireland don't and Sweden win by one, two or three goals. Sweden winning by four or more or both Sweden and Ireland lose then Northern Ireland play France.

So Northern Ireland will be hoping their fellow islanders do them a favour. Basically barring a freak result between Sweden and Belgium they will want Belgium to get a draw or a win and Ireland to get a win.

Cannae believe turkey could be away tae sneak through man, they were dross in the first two games.. But then again Norn Iron haven't exactly lit the tourny up so far either I suppose, although they played brilliant against Ukraine.

Norn Iron were piss poor against Poland, beat a very poor Ukraine and were easily swept aside by Germany today....yet are in the last 16. I'm not a fan at all of this new format.

Archived