East Region South Division Thread 2016/2017

Burnie_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week Andy McQuillan had work commitments but was also struggling with an injury so probably wouldn't have played. He started on the bench yesterday as presumably he's still not fully fit, although came off the bench and scored.

As far as trialists are concerned, there is no limit as far as I am aware as to how many games a trialist can play.

David Swan was a trialist yesterday (and last week)

5 hours ago, PastyMan said:

Now we are at the Christmas break what are folks thoughts on the way the league promotion spots will play out? It's tight at the top with 4 teams in contention, Dunbar and Pumpherston have yet to meet each other and when they do it matches the tightest defence against the top scorers ... something has got to give. Blackburn have looked steady with just a loss at Rosyth coming as a surprise. Lochgelly have pulled out results even when trailing in matches but can't afford to drop too many more points if the top 3 stay as consistent. West Calder have put some good results recently and could have been closer to the top 4 if not for the points deduction.

Only 10,11 or 13 games to go .....

There's still a lot of points up for grabs and also alot to be dropped, any teams in the top 10 or so places could take points of each other. 

Just looking forward to the 7th Jan for the start of it all again.

All the best to all.

Last week Andy McQuillan had work commitments but was also struggling with an injury so probably wouldn't have played. He started on the bench yesterday as presumably he's still not fully fit, although came off the bench and scored.

As far as trialists are concerned, there is no limit as far as I am aware as to how many games a trialist can play.

David Swan was a trialist yesterday (and last week)

You couldn't ask for a better player to come in and help when he can , Blackburn being able to use Swan as much as they want for remainder of season could be the answer to winning the title

I reckon that Blackburn will win the league if they have Swanny available to play. The laddie has ability that would put some professionals to shame. His only hindrance is that his attitude will always be that of an amateur player. I don't even mean that as a criticism. It's up to him what he wants to do, or not do, as far as his football is concerned. He plays at a level far below what he's capable of though. I don't think anyone would argue that who's seen him play.

2 hours ago, Falside Jag said:

I reckon that Blackburn will win the league if they have Swanny available to play. The laddie has ability that would put some professionals to shame. His only hindrance is that his attitude will always be that of an amateur player. I don't even mean that as a criticism. It's up to him what he wants to do, or not do, as far as his football is concerned. He plays at a level far below what he's capable of though. I don't think anyone would argue that who's seen him play.

Maybe they will win the league, maybe they wont but surely they will have some unhappy players if they know that every time McQuillan is out, they will be overlooked. I agree the boy is a good player but is it that he just likes the thought that he can pick whoever he wants to play for whenever the need arises. There are no rules being broken so good luck to them.  

Just on the above, Danny Campbell has been out for over 2 months but is back in training, same with Fraser Cormack, Andy has had a few niggles, and Dean Macarthur decided to go back amatuer, so we've not really had a settled forward line for the whole season.

Ross Donnelly was signed and Craig Easton has returned from working down south for the last couple of years recently, but both will need time to get fully match fit.

If David Swan is available to play for us then imo we'd be mad not to, particularly in these circumstances. He's a Blackburn lad after all.

Great dilemma for the management to have once everyone is fit and available. A lot of talent in the front line.

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 18:03, PastyMan said:

Now we are at the Christmas break what are folks thoughts on the way the league promotion spots will play out? It's tight at the top with 4 teams in contention, Dunbar and Pumpherston have yet to meet each other and when they do it matches the tightest defence against the top scorers ... something has got to give. Blackburn have looked steady with just a loss at Rosyth coming as a surprise. Lochgelly have pulled out results even when trailing in matches but can't afford to drop too many more points if the top 3 stay as consistent. West Calder have put some good results recently and could have been closer to the top 4 if not for the points deduction.

Only 10,11 or 13 games to go .....

Pumphy  play Dunbar at home first Saturday in January then Crossgates then play Blackburn on third saturday 

• 2 weeks later...

So match of the day on Saturday undoubtedly at Pumphy where they face Dunbar.  Last night Pumphy lost 4-2 to Broxburn, whilst Dunbar beat Tweedmouth Rangers 1-0.

After that match, all of the top four will have faced the other three once, but before January is finished Blackburn will face Lochgelly away and Pumphy at home, whilst Pumphy will also host Lochgelly.

Picture could be a little clearer after all that.

3 hours ago, Mr Motivator said:

friends of mine involved at Kirkcaldy lochgelly Oakley and the primrose all say Dunbar are the best team in this league and should be certs for promotion leaving pumphy and Blackburn to fight it out for the other spot with lochgelly the best of the rest

Dunbar certainly don't leak many goals and Pumpherston are top scorers in East Region.

15 hours ago, Mr Motivator said:

friends of mine involved at Kirkcaldy lochgelly Oakley and the primrose all say Dunbar are the best team in this league and should be certs for promotion leaving pumphy and Blackburn to fight it out for the other spot with lochgelly the best of the rest

I wouldnt say Dunbar are "certs". They have as good a chance as the three other teams at the top and with them all to play each other, anything can happen. I think it will still be any two from the top four, with Lochgelly being the outsiders. January is showing a lot of good games , so as has been said, might be a bit clearer come the end of the month, although with Dunbar still involved in the Scottish and with games in hand, they might just have to play catch up. Dunbar need to keep playing as they have and make sure they keep the pressure on the top two. 

I said at the start of the season this will go to the wire and I've seen nothing to change that view. No team are "certs" to go up.

It may become a little clearer at the end of the month who are more likely to last the pace, but that can quickly change.  It's 2 from the top 4 and it could be any combination of them.

20 minutes ago, Mr Motivator said:

fare enough no team are certs but from what I gather it is any 2 from 3 with Dunbar the unlikliest candidates to slip up in the runin every one I speak to from fife clubs who have seen Blackburn have said they have been fortunate to take all 3 points against them this season and have been surprised by pumphy 

LOL nice one.

Archived