East Region South Division Thread 2016/2017

Burnie_man

Fantastic achievement from Dunbar winning the league, well done!! by far the better team overall as the league standings show! The management still somehow manage to make hard work of it getting beat by both big rival's away, in hindsight they could afford to do so!! But poor team selection for some reason in 2 key game's against Blackburn and Pumpherston where you chose a weak centre forward which didn't work out, luckily you got away with it which I'm delighted about but this needs addressed if you're to hold your own next season.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic achievement from Dunbar winning the league, well done!! by far the better team overall as the league standings show! The management still somehow manage to make hard work of it getting beat by both big rival's away, in hindsight they could afford to do so!! But poor team selection for some reason in 2 key game's against Blackburn and Pumpherston where you chose a weak centre forward which didn't work out, luckily you got away with it which I'm delighted about but this needs addressed if you're to hold your own next season.

What an entirely odd post. "By far the better team overall" is a statement that instantly calls you out as someone who hasn't watched too much South Division football.

Dunbar have been excellent. Playing catch up for most of the season they have coped with that pressure brilliantly. Blackburn have been as equally excellent, coping with the pressure of leading from the front just as brilliantly.

Having been at New Countess Park last week I felt that, over the ninety minutes, Blackburn were marginally the better side. Marginally. Oh how they must be regretting missing that penalty with around 8 minutes left. To balance that, I thought that over the ninety minutes at New Murrayfield Park earlier in the season Dunbar were marginally the better side. Marginally. Yet they lost by the same scoreline.

Sooooo.....if things had went the way of the better team on each of those afternoons then respective league positions wouldn't have changed. Point being, neither were "by far better" than the other. Dunbar had a quite brilliant run to the end of the season and timed that run perfectly. The best team always wins the league and Dunbar turned out to be just that, but "by far the best team"? - maybe you need to watch more of the game at this level and do a little bit less bandwagon jumping!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that both teams will be a credit to next season's Premier League and that both Geoff Jones and Mark Campbell deserve a pat on the back and a restful close season as just reward for what they have achieved. Congratulations to both guys who are, quite evidentially, a great credit to their clubs.

34 minutes ago, 12 Angry Men said:

What an entirely odd post. "By far the better team overall" is a statement that instantly calls you out as someone who hasn't watched too much South Division football.

Dunbar have been excellent. Playing catch up for most of the season they have coped with that pressure brilliantly. Blackburn have been as equally excellent, coping with the pressure of leading from the front just as brilliantly.

Having been at New Countess Park last week I felt that, over the ninety minutes, Blackburn were marginally the better side. Marginally. Oh how they must be regretting missing that penalty with around 8 minutes left. To balance that, I thought that over the ninety minutes at New Murrayfield Park earlier in the season Dunbar were marginally the better side. Marginally. Yet they lost by the same scoreline.

Sooooo.....if things had went the way of the better team on each of those afternoons then respective league positions wouldn't have changed. Point being, neither were "by far better" than the other. Dunbar had a quite brilliant run to the end of the season and timed that run perfectly. The best team always wins the league and Dunbar turned out to be just that, but "by far the best team"? - maybe you need to watch more of the game at this level and do a little bit less bandwagon jumping!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that both teams will be a credit to next season's Premier League and that both Geoff Jones and Mark Campbell deserve a pat on the back and a restful close season as just reward for what they have achieved. Congratulations to both guys who are, quite evidentially, a great credit to their clubs.

Blackburn were not by any means the better team at dunbar. they pressed late on in the game, but thats what you have to do after losing the league.

7 hours ago, yanooosh said:

Agreed, sack the manger poor decisions all year .

Agreed, sack the manger poor decisions all year .

You're so facetious General, I was merely nit picking. I happen to think all the management team have done a wonderful job throughout the season apart from those 2 game's, I'm sure they would agree, you can't win them all.

Congratulations to Dunbar United on winning the South Division from all at Livingston United 

and to Blackburn United's promotion they pushed each other all the way to the end as did Pumpherson and Lochgelly Albert making the run in exciting.

2 hours ago, yanooosh said:

You're so facetious General, I was merely nit picking. I happen to think all the management team have done a wonderful job throughout the season apart from those 2 game's, I'm sure they would agree, you can't win them all.

Why focus on two games? Me thinks ur simply stirring the brown stuff. Dunbar not won a trophy in 20 years, and when they finally do u sign up for an account here and 'nit pick' team selection in two games?  Really? From where I'm sitting it's been an incredible season and with only 8 points dropped in the league must be some sort of record. The manager deserves credit for turning the club around Imho. And by the way the lad ur referring to as a 'weak striker' has scored in excess of 30 goals in only his second season in junior football - I'd bet every club in the area would have him in their side - so give it a rest. 

Blackburn were not by any means the better team at dunbar. they pressed late on in the game, but thats what you have to do after losing the league.

Blackburn were the better team second half, the first half was fairly even. However Dunbar took their chance, we didn't and that's football.

Why focus on two games? Me thinks ur simply stirring the brown stuff. Dunbar not won a trophy in 20 years, and when they finally do u sign up for an account here and 'nit pick' team selection in two games?  Really? From where I'm sitting it's been an incredible season and with only 8 points dropped in the league must be some sort of record. The manager deserves credit for turning the club around Imho. And by the way the lad ur referring to as a 'weak striker' has scored in excess of 30 goals in only his second season in junior football - I'd bet every club in the area would have him in their side - so give it a rest. 

How anyone can criticise Dunbar's achievement this season is beyond me.

18 hours ago, yanooosh said:

The bit about us winning the league is right,no team is lucky when winning 22 out of 25 league games and getting to the 5th round of the Scottish and beat from a team that is in the final. The two games you say the manager fielded a "weak CF" the game before we played Blackburn was against Kennoway in the Scottish,we won 5-0 I think they might be at the top of the premier,anyway,the "weak CF" scored a hat trick,that's 3 goals,so how was the manager wrong in his selection of Dean Ballantyne,who you refer to as weak,against Blackburn. Same against Pumpherston,the league game before ,we beat Stoneyburn 5-0 and again Ballantyne scored, again how is the manager wrong to select him. Against Blackburn we played for over an hour with 10 men , I thought we matched them but lost 1-0 , against Pumpherston we lost 3-0 but it was a game of missed chances for us. Ballantyne is our top scorer this season. Manager was totally justified  and correct in selecting him in the games you mention. To only lose 2 games out of 25 and win all our home games is not lucky . The management have got it bang on ,no one can argue, the trophy is in the cabinet. As for next season,i'm sure once this one is over they will have a well deserved rest and then I'm not sure how many have signed already but I hope that this was not written by the player  himself or someone close to him,cos he might just find himself surplus. I have heard some names that we are supposedly thinking about,but we will not have to make many changes,maybe some will leave who knows, but I just cant believe that anyone would even think about writing what you have. 

The bit about us winning the league is right,no team is lucky when winning 22 out of 25 league games and getting to the 5th round of the Scottish and beat from a team that is in the final. The two games you say the manager fielded a "weak CF" the game before we played Blackburn was against Kennoway in the Scottish,we won 5-0 I think they might be at the top of the premier,anyway,the "weak CF" scored a hat trick,that's 3 goals,so how was the manager wrong in his selection of Dean Ballantyne,who you refer to as weak,against Blackburn. Same against Pumpherston,the league game before ,we beat Stoneyburn 5-0 and again Ballantyne scored, again how is the manager wrong to select him. Against Blackburn we played for over an hour with 10 men , I thought we matched them but lost 1-0 , against Pumpherston we lost 3-0 but it was a game of missed chances for us. Ballantyne is our top scorer this season. Manager was totally justified  and correct in selecting him in the games you mention. To only lose 2 games out of 25 and win all our home games is not lucky . The management have got it bang on ,no one can argue, the trophy is in the cabinet. As for next season,i'm sure once this one is over they will have a well deserved rest and then I'm not sure how many have signed already but I hope that this was not written by the player  himself or someone close to him,cos he might just find himself surplus. I have heard some names that we are supposedly thinking about,but we will not have to make many changes,maybe some will leave who knows, but I just cant believe that anyone would even think about writing what you have. 

You clearly need to get out more. My original post was on the back of a drunken debate with a pal about the game's Dunbar lost and why, after much discussion we came to the conclusion that the forwards couldn't handle the big CB's and with the ball getting pumped forward alot it was coming straight back and putting pressure on the defence which led to the loss of goals, I'm aware Dean is top scorer and I do rate him as a player though I think his hold up play is something he could work on, just my opinion remember. I didn't mean to offend anyone, seems I have offended you though, I was led to believe this was a forum for opinions and discussion, kind of wishing I hadn't bothered now. Have you signed for next season?

On 5/7/2017 at 20:33, yanooosh said:

You clearly need to get out more. My original post was on the back of a drunken debate with a pal about the game's Dunbar lost and why, after much discussion we came to the conclusion that the forwards couldn't handle the big CB's and with the ball getting pumped forward alot it was coming straight back and putting pressure on the defence which led to the loss of goals, I'm aware Dean is top scorer and I do rate him as a player though I think his hold up play is something he could work on, just my opinion remember. I didn't mean to offend anyone, seems I have offended you though, I was led to believe this was a forum for opinions and discussion, kind of wishing I hadn't bothered now. Have you signed for next season?

Regardless of trying to wiggle out of this and blaming drink, nobody celebrating Dunbars league win would even think about trying to come up with a reason on why we lost 2 games, no supporter at any club would be sitting down and debating how we lost 2 games  out of 25 and won a trophy for the first time in years, have a word wi yersel,  only the person it affected or someone close to him,would write such pish. You havent offended me  but you have offended a young player and his family and you have totally disregarded the job Geoff Jones has done for the club. Strikers are judged on how many goals they score, We were lucky to have someone like Sam, who was one of the very best strikers, in this league and he certainly did have a major part to play for us and was the leagues top scorer as well, but the club couldnt stand still, new players come in and things change and competition for places is healthy for the club, and that was down to Geoff, but obviously sometimes you get left out and its how you react to that and i would say, it shouldnt be on here. Yes its a forum and anyone can have their say but be prepared for some stick if people dont agree with what is written and as you can see, not one person is agreeing with you.  

Just been watching that debate from the sidelines as I wasn't wanting to get involved (i have no idea who it is, certainly not Sam or a family member) but just had to say I understand what your saying about "offending a young player and his family" but as Sams brother (as I've admitted to before/I don't hide behind a username) who has followed Dunbar week in week out for the last 5 seasons do you not think you're doing the exact same thing to Sam and his family by speculating twice that it sounds like Sam himself or someone close to him has wrote that!??, and suggesting "he may find himself surplus to requirements" both you and yanoosh are as bad as each other in my eyes. All I'm saying on the matter. 

10 hours ago, Pistol88 said:

Just been watching that debate from the sidelines as I wasn't wanting to get involved (i have no idea who it is, certainly not Sam or a family member) but just had to say I understand what your saying about "offending a young player and his family" but as Sams brother (as I've admitted to before/I don't hide behind a username) who has followed Dunbar week in week out for the last 5 seasons do you not think you're doing the exact same thing to Sam and his family by speculating twice that it sounds like Sam himself or someone close to him has wrote that!??, and suggesting "he may find himself surplus to requirements" both you and yanoosh are as bad as each other in my eyes. All I'm saying on the matter. 

Well said Pistol. Agree fully. 

However I'd be stunned if the players themselves even read this forum because let's be honest what good can come from them reading - it's hardly ever positive things that's posted as positive topics rarely cause debate. If they do and are offended then they need thicker skin anyway.

FFS Dunbar just won the league. We should be happy and applaud the achievement of every player. Sam and Dean both more than played their part this season. Both have strengths and both I am sure have weaknesses. If they didn't neither would be wearing black and white. What I do know is Dunbar United are lucky to have two number 9s of such quality.

As for the surplus to requirements shout.......Laughable. As laughable as the weak centre forward post from a few days ago. 

My hope is that next year Geoff finds a system that allows them to be unleashed as a partnership. Imagine the damage they could do as a front 2.........wait a minute, am I being too positive?

12 hours ago, Pistol88 said:

Agreed pistol and I totally apologise for any offence that may have been picked up incorrectly and even thinking it could be Sam or anyone near to him, for that i am to blame and apologise to you both .Soured the achievement really. All I'll say on it as well.

12 hours ago, TheGeneral10 said:

Well said Pistol. Agree fully. 

However I'd be stunned if the players themselves even read this forum because let's be honest what good can come from them reading - it's hardly ever positive things that's posted as positive topics rarely cause debate. If they do and are offended then they need thicker skin anyway.

FFS Dunbar just won the league. We should be happy and applaud the achievement of every player. Sam and Dean both more than played their part this season. Both have strengths and both I am sure have weaknesses. If they didn't neither would be wearing black and white. What I do know is Dunbar United are lucky to have two number 9s of such quality.

As for the surplus to requirements shout.......Laughable. As laughable as the weak centre forward post from a few days ago. 

My hope is that next year Geoff finds a system that allows them to be unleashed as a partnership. Imagine the damage they could do as a front 2.........wait a minute, am I being too positive?

Fair comment General. For my part, I apologise. 

Archived