The Scottish-English border post independence

During the brexit debate I kept hearing from leave campaigners about how a brexit would have no impact on trade and free movement of people between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and any suggestion to the contrary was scaremongering by the remain side. In a Scottish indy ref 2, would the same leave campaigners, most of whom would oppose an independent Scotland, foresee the same freedom of trade and movement between the English and Scottish borders? Surely the same principle should apply to both scenarios?

If Scotland was to join Schengen then there would have to be a border

Scotland could do an Ireland and opt out of Schengen in favour of a free border with the UK, but it's unclear if the EU would allow this with the current rules.

Can new EU applicants not opt out of Schengen?

No, but the UK and Ireland have Schengen opt outs and have done so since the agreement was signed.

Maybe just maybe Scotland could get an opt out like our Irish cousins.

Of course, it may be that the Scottish government would rather join Schengen and have a border with England

It depends on how the UK negotiates exit. Don't put it past Boris to get a Swiss style exit that leaves the UK in pretty much the same place on immigration and accepting EU law.

That could probably be the thing that saves Scotland's place in the UK

Of course, it may be that the Scottish government would rather join Schengen and have a border with England

Yeah but that's going to be a hard pitch to sell in an indy ref. Any hint of strict border control with England will have the soft no's running for cover again, it doesn't take much for them to shit themselves.

It depends on how the UK negotiates exit. Don't put it past Boris to get a Swiss style exit that leaves the UK in pretty much the same place on immigration and accepting EU law.
I think that's what all of those on the Leave side would prefer but they've whipped up middle England into such a racist frenzy that they surely couldn't do that. It would be entirely my preference and is the sort of decision that would stop me from voting yes. I get the feeling Boris is relatively ambivalent towards maintaining the Union though.

I think that's what all of those on the Leave side would prefer but they've whipped up middle England into such a racist frenzy that they surely couldn't do that. It would be entirely my preference and is the sort of decision that would stop me from voting yes. I get the feeling Boris is relatively ambivalent towards maintaining the Union though.

He may be ambivalent towards Scotland, but there's no way he (or whomever takes over from Cameron) will want to be the PM who presided over the break-up of the UK.

He may be ambivalent towards Scotland, but there's no way he (or whomever takes over from Cameron) will want to be the PM who presided over the break-up of the UK.

there is also the slight issue of a virtually bankrupt UK about to take a massive hit from brexit not wanting to lose 1.3 trillion worth of oil. They will be DESPERATE to keep Scotland when the time comes.

Johnson has also been proposing a pipeline from Scotland to England to pump water south costing 15 billion for about a decade, which we'd pay our share of obviously and not get paid for.

We need to build a big beautiful wall.

Says someone who has probably never even left his village.

have you ever been to Carter Bar? It is not a good place for wall building.

I would suggest that only a c**t would suggest a hard border with England , not that Scotland would be daft enough to vote for independence, it's all waffle.

I would suggest that only a c**t would suggest a hard border with England , not that Scotland would be daft enough to vote for independence, it's all waffle.

I thought you wanted to "take back control"? Could you explain where you want it to be taken back to, exactly?

you mean like the leaders of both labour and the tories who did so During indyref?

Archived