Assistant referees

I can't believe it hasn't been discussed but I can't find it, so.......

Do the refs beside the goals ever actually do anything? I forget the game but one had a clear view of a shot deflected for a corner but did not react. Are they just for goal line decisions? Technology has made that pointless so what's their purpose?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have discreet comms with the referee so people assume that just because they're not dancing around they're not doing anything.

Ok, but are they pro-active, like a 'linesman'  or do they just wait til the ref asks them a question? I have never noticed one raise a flag  (they appear to carry flags),  although they actually 'dance around' quite a lot.  (To no effect imo.)   Maybe 4 'linesmen' would be a better idea?

The stick they hold is the same as the ones that the asst referees have, without the flag.

However they have buttons on them so that when they see something they can press it and the referee has a buzzer that notifies them that the assistant has seen something. They are proactive for things they see, however what they are doing is less obvious than waving a flag about.

The stick they hold is the same as the ones that the asst referees have, without the flag.

However they have buttons on them so that when they see something they can press it and the referee has a buzzer that notifies them that the assistant has seen something. They are proactive for things they see, however what they are doing is less obvious than waving a flag about.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

The one who didn't buzz for a corner was just fkn blind then. Or the ref was deef. 

The reason it sticks in my mind was that the defending team scored almost immediately.

That's football, I suppose.

Can anyone explain why they stand on the same side of the goal as the linesman? Surely it would make more sense if they were on the other side of the goal? 

The first season where they had the additional assistants, they did stand on the opposite side.  However, referees typically like to move in a diagonal between the two corners not covered by the linesmen in order to get full coverage of the pitch, and it was more difficult for them to have to try to zig-zag to account for the extra assistant being there.

Having it the way it is now allows the ref and the extra assistant to stand on opposite sides of the box when the ball comes in and theoretically gives them a better view of that.

Archived