Kaliningrad

I always remember seeing this on Michael Plain's New Europe and thinking it looked pretty nice.

Looking online it says you will need a Russian visa, although it did mention a special Kaliningrad visa which allows you stay for 3 days but you must enter through specific border checkpoints.

Greetings from Kaliningrad! :) 

Michael Plain's show was fun, but it was more than 10 years ago. I was in the crowd during one the events that was filmed.

I will be happy to help you with all info you need about visiting our region.

Accommodation prices starts from £8 in the hostel dorm up to 120 in the most fancy place around. You can check the options you like: http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk 

Or you can try to find a travel agency to let them enjoy all that bureaucracy.

And yes, you can request a 72 hour visa that can be obtained on the border. But this cost extra fee, and make your journey less flexible. You need to cross the border on the exact time and only from Poland or by plane.

p.s. and if you are interested in visiting Kaliningrad during FIFA Word Cup 2018 than the visa regulations will be much easier. Maybe the fans will be allowed to cross the border without any visas.

Looking forward for your questions! Cheers!

Nick Kharchenko

Kaliningrad, Russia

Michael Plain's show was fun, but it was more than 10 years ago. I was in the crowd during one the events that was filmed.

Accommodation prices starts from £8 in the hostel dorm up to 120 in the most fancy place around. You can check the options you like: http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2918852&aid=918725

General cost of living cheaper I think than in EU... russian currency is very weak for several years in the row.

I didn't heard about any safety issues related to tourists for a long time. So that's not a problem here.

Touristy activities: we have some nature POI, couple of sea resorts, war memorials, amber museums and art galleries. Interesting festivals are happening during the year. It all depends on what you are interested in.

Visa requirements are more or less usual. Book a flight, a hotel, do some paper work and add some money. Just check the requirements from the Russia Visa Application Centre in Edinburgh. http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk

And yes, you can request a 72 hour visa that can be obtained on the border. But this cost extra fee, and make your journey less flexible. You need to cross the border on the exact time and only from Poland or by plane.

p.s. and if you are interested in visiting Kaliningrad during FIFA Word Cup 2018 than the visa regulations will be much easier. Maybe the fans will be allowed to cross the border without any visas.

Nick Kharchenko

Kaliningrad, Russia

^^^Magee.

Accommodation prices starts from £8 in the hostel dorm up to 120 in the most fancy place around. You can check the options you like: http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2918852&aid=918725

General cost of living cheaper I think than in EU... russian currency is very weak for several years in the row.

I didn't heard about any safety issues related to tourists for a long time. So that's not a problem here.

Touristy activities: we have some nature POI, couple of sea resorts, war memorials, amber museums and art galleries. Interesting festivals are happening during the year. It all depends on what you are interested in.

Visa requirements are more or less usual. Book a flight, a hotel, do some paper work and add some money. Just check the requirements from the Russia Visa Application Centre in Edinburgh. http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk

Nick Kharchenko

Kaliningrad, Russia

Thank you

When you say apply for a three day visa at the border how much extra does this cost? I'd be entering by plane and leaving by plane also and only plan on spending 2 nights there

I may have left it a bit late as I'm traveling next month

On 7/4/2016 at 6:53 PM, HairyBawz said:

Thank you

When you say apply for a three day visa at the border how much extra does this cost? I'd be entering by plane and leaving by plane also and only plan on spending 2 nights there

I may have left it a bit late as I'm traveling next month

Hope you tell us what it was like after your trip, it's been on my mind to visit for years but haven't got round to it.

Archived