Is Newton Mearns a good place to live?

6 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Barons usually don't have their stash in their own home for you to pop over and have a few on the house.

There are a few, they just don't advertise it. Let's just say they are legitimate business men importing exotic goods.

Drug dealers, i could tell you where plenty lived. Especially the ones that had a working relationship with the police. 

Just now, dave.j said:

Drug dealers, i could tell you where plenty lived. Especially the ones that had a working relationship with the police. 

Still, it's a nice area to live if you can afford it.

8 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Still, it's a nice area to live if you can afford it.

Very much so, probably about 25k outwith our budget, when we were looking for a 3 bedroom house. Thankfully I'd ploughed enough into my wee one bedroom in The Broom, to get us a tidy deposit. The scheme's got a bit of a herion problem these days though.

Back in my day it was Pat Bonner, Billy McNeill, Tommy Burns, Stuart McCall, Gordan Petric and John Brown that were the old firm players of note.

Tommy Burns was a fckin horendous driver! Drove like a bloody maniac.

Stuart McCall never once gave his paperboy a christmas tip. :unsure:

Luckily I wasn't around in the Ricksen days, what a fckin scumbag of a neighbour he was. 

I did get to witness Gazza in full scumbag mode in Parklands Country Club. Putting fags out on the baize of the snooker table and pulling his cock out infront of a bunch of weans to piss in a pint glass, instead of using the toilet, like any normal person. Gazza eh, whats he like. 

Edited by dave.j

4 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Very much so, probably about 25k outwith our budget, when we were looking for a 3 bedroom house. Thankfully I'd ploughed enough into my wee one bedroom in The Broom, to get us a tidy deposit. The scheme's got a bit of a herion problem these days though.

Back in my day it was Pat Bonner, Billy McNeill, Tommy Burns, Stuart McCall, Gordan Petric and John Brown that were the old firm players of note.

Tommy Burns was a fckin horendous driver! Drove like a bloody maniac.

Stuart McCall never once gave his paperboy a christmas tip. :unsure:

Luckily I wasn't around in the Ricksen days, what a fckin scumbag of a neighbour he was. 

I did get to witness Gazza in full scumbag mode in Parklands Country Club. Putting fags out on the baize of the snooker table and pulling his cock out infront of a bunch of weans to piss in a pint glass, instead of using the toilet, like any normal person. Gazza eh, whats he like. 

I used to help out my brother in-law with his window cleaning to raise a few bob for a weekend out in the Mearns, he knew loads of people in the area and knew a lot of the local gossip. But some of them were just mean as fcuk. Who the hell writes out a cheque for a few quid and dates it to be cashed in a few weeks time? :lol:

You can tell who comes from the Mearns at the Silverburn shopping centre, they have plenty of money off coupons and have the cheek to ask for their bags to be filled?

It truly is a place where every neighbour is a Jones.

3 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

I used to help out my brother in-law with his window cleaning to raise a few bob for a weekend out in the Mearns, he knew loads of people in the area and knew a lot of the local gossip. But some of them were just mean as fcuk. Who the hell writes out a cheque for a few quid and dates it to be cashed in a few weeks time? :lol:

You can tell who comes from the Mearns at the Silverburn shopping centre, they have plenty of money off coupons and have the cheek to ask for their bags to be filled?

It truly is a place where every neighbour is a Jones.

Merc in the drive and nae wallpaper on the walls

3 hours ago, Rowan said:

They're also trying to reassign parts there and along stewarton road to Barrhead high catchment. Which isn't going down too well.

The fact that my mum's council tax money is getting spent giving Barrhead a full on regeneration project, whilst hardly a penny gets spent in the Mearns drives her mental. 

Add to that, she'd thought she'd seen the back of the Tories when Alan Stewart went climbing trees demonstrating againt the M77, only for them to win the last local election has her climbing the walls.

Just now, dave.j said:

The fact that my mum's council tax money is getting spent giving Barrhead a full on regeneration project, whilst hardly a penny gets spent in the Mearns drives her mental. 

Add to that, she'd thought she'd seen the back of the Tories when Alan Stewart went climbing trees demonstrating againt the M77, only for them to win the last local election has her climbing the walls.

I frequently visited the protests at the Pollok Estate when the M77 was being built, happy memories with who we called the tree people.

1 minute ago, hellbhoy said:

I frequently visited the protests at the Pollok Estate when the M77 was being built, happy memories with who we called the tree people.

Alan Stewart was an Arsehole.

I was too busy, up at the "Half Pipe" on the Barrhead Road.

Edited by dave.j

16 minutes ago, Rowan said:

My partner isn't interested in politics so voted for ad lib seeing as I knew him off the internet! Don't think he voted Tory in last election either.

Your partner or Ad Lib?

Used to stay there as a lad. There were a lot more fields there then. Moved out in my 20s and never looked back. It was a good place to grow up. Had a good bunch of mates to kick around Crookfur Park and down at the Orchard smoking Embassy Tipped.

Alan Rough signed my City Bakeries pie wrapper up at the Shoppy once. Popped into the Shoppy at the Cross a while back. It's gone right downhill now, nae Willie Lows, WTF!!!!!

• 6 years later...
On 18/07/2016 at 10:11, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The Residents tend to look down on you if your house has less than four shitters.

Is this for real? I noticed the place was full of massive houses.