• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Do we ever beat County?

2011 was our last victory up in Dingwall..it was the day we stayed up in the defiant season. Mcintosh with the only goal that day. 5 years and counting hopefully our highland hoodoo comes tae an end Saturday, however I'm going for 1-1 

I'll be a lot more optimisitic if Stewart is gone by the end of the week.  When the teams last met in April, he tore County apart in a free role behind the strikers:

Mitchell

Konrad Julen O'Dea

Kerr -  McGowan - Ross - Holt

Stewart

Hemmings Loy

I don't think Ross County were prepared for that system on the day.  Jackson Irvine was injured but they continued with the flat 4-4-2, with McShane and Woods the two CMs.  The team marks man-for-man across the park, so Woods & McShane were mostly interested in McGowan and Ross, but Dundee's CMs could afford to play quite deep and tempt County's CMs forward,giving Stewart and the forwards a lot of space on the counter attack.  County were two goals down by the time that they changed the shape - going to a back three and bringing Stewart Murdoch on to sit in Stewart's space. County got themselves back into the match, but as they over-stretched themselves Stewart pulled wide and cut in, turning McShane and Davies inside out more than once.  It was a stinging defeat but didn't stop us dancing to the cowbells.

County had been tinkering with a three-man defence around that point, using it in the League Cup final, then the next two league matches, then reverting back to it at Dens after going behind.  When County used it they had a defensive midifelder to screen behind two others, but Dundee flipped it around and used Stewart to support two forwards.

Dundee might not have used it since (I don't know, have they?).  County, however, seem to have adopted it.  It was used for 45 mins against Motherwell late last season, with Michael Gardyne and then Liam Boyce behind the strikers; then it was used in the 4-0 thumping of Aberdeen at Pittodrie on the last day of last season.  Woods and McSchane were used in a 4-4-2 in the LC match against Raith Rovers and it didn't work well, so the 3-4-1-2 was back for the 3-2 loss at Alloa and kept for the 7-0 win at Cove.

A lot of fans aren't fond of a three-man defence, but it suits Ross County here because they have Jay McEveley, Paul Quinn and Andrew Davies as three 'captains' to play centre-back and the manager will find it hard to keep any out.  County also have a glut of strikers.  I think County will continue to use it until Davies finds the right move in England.  I think the team will be:

Fox

Davies Quinn McEveley

Gardyne - Routis - Woods - Van der Weg

Boyce

Graham Schalk

Cracking away day to start the season, one of the best away days in the league so looking forward to it. Barring nobody leaving before Saturday and everybody is fit then I'd go with..

Bain
Kerr Etxabeguren O'Dea Holt
O'Hara McGowan
Duffy Stewart Williams
Loy

Think that team above will be pretty spot on but maybe Ross in for O'Hara depending on the latters fitness. I also doubt Stewart will start centrally and will likely swap with Duffy there but he seems to float everywhere anyway so makes sense for him to start there.

First trip to Dingwall, so gonna make a weekend trip of this and go camping somewhere in the highlands. Also very excited to source the (last remaining?!) Wimpy up there, which I have heard so much about..

Michael Gardyne and Brian Graham aside, I quite like County. Games between us were great entertainment last season. Add in the first-game-buzz, hopefully some sun and we should be in for a treat.

Not much beats a bender in a bun at Wimpy, but do save room for a haggis pie at the ground, they're worth the trip alone.

Last few times I've been up, they've run out before half time. They're tremendous though.

First trip to Dingwall, so gonna make a weekend trip of this and go camping somewhere in the highlands.

There's a campsite next to the ground. Well, there was. I've not been there since 1997 when Neale Cooper said hello to me before a pre-season game against St Andrews United (I think?). Dingwall is a hoot.

Really looking forward to this game.  Great to have the football back.  Bit concerned with how our squad is shaping up mind you.  We could really do with another CM and winger.

We'll turn up in Dingwall and "do a Dundee" which is to say we'll lose.

We'll then lose to Rangers at Dens and the more reactionary Dee's on here, not to mention the DAB's, Perth and bizzarely some Falkirk, Dunfermline and Morton fans will be all over our threads preaching crisis / Hartley out.

We'll steadily improve and finish 9th - 5th with minimal fuss.

Terrible record in the highlands but I think we'll sneak a draw. All our games last year were high scoring games, so I'll go for a 2-2 draw. Gutted I can't make it. Hate missing he first day of the season. Two years in a row I've missed it through holidays. Need to start planning them a little better!

Archived