Amateur football leagues

Gretna1995

It's really disappointing to see so many clubs folding, five from the central league alone this pre season.

If you look at the Caledonian league, they have over 20 clubs that have been in league for years. There are a lot of people out there who put a lot of time and effort into ensuring clubs survive.

Apart from last season, you very rarely see clubs in the caley league folding, what's people thoughts on this?

I thinks it's time that amateur association should look to amalgamate some of the leagues that are struggling, this may help clubs survive.

Do we really need the Lanarkshire, west of Scotland and ggpl leagues. By introducing these clubs into other leagues It may help clubs survive.

Cost of playing comes into it play sat and sun is £20 a week to start with....yet there is 300 grand sitting in a bank scottish amatuer football doing fook all....plus players have no loyalty to teams u drop someone one game they wanna go elsewhere....and then the paying players is pissing lot of folk off into into chucking it

find it doubtful a team had 54 signed........I know for a fact that some leagues has a cap on signed Players, Aberdeenshire only allow 32 Players Max to be signed by any one Club.

Echo what people are saying though re players, there just is not the interest at the moment and it is across the board. Here in Aberdeen there has been a team In nearly every division from top to bottom folding or struggling to field a team, Players just want to turn up 30 minujtes before a game, get a game then go, they do not want to put the effort in, they will take the bags, tracksuits, all that jazz but ask them to work for it? shout at them for not pulling their weight in a game you are losing because they aren't trying? They just up sticks and go to the next club to fall for the same act.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 21:23, Gretna1995 said:

It's really disappointing to see so many clubs folding, five from the central league alone this pre season.

If you look at the Caledonian league, they have over 20 clubs that have been in league for years. There are a lot of people out there who put a lot of time and effort into ensuring clubs survive.

Apart from last season, you very rarely see clubs in the caley league folding, what's people thoughts on this?

I thinks it's time that amateur association should look to amalgamate some of the leagues that are struggling, this may help clubs survive.

Do we really need the Lanarkshire, west of Scotland and ggpl leagues. By introducing these clubs into other leagues It may help clubs survive.

same problem in fife , 2 leagues that cannot even sit in the same room and talk about amalgamation .

I think this season is the first season in a long time I've heard of so many players chucking it to get old firm season tickets. I'm sure most teams  will have been a victim of the fact Rangers are back in the big league. I find It hard to believe that one team had 54 players registered. One club may have had that many registered but likely have  2 or 3 amateur teams. I think criteria to start up a team and join a league should be much stricter. You hear of amateur teams starting because the club need one for there SFA Quality Mark but they have no foundation for an Amateur team and only have young kids teams. You also have nostalgic coaches who want to re start there old teams for instance Pollok and Aikenhead but in reality they folded previously so what is going to be different this time around.  However you hear of teams folding all the time but people have to remember there are good very well run new teams starting all time and becoming successful.

its hard keeping amateur teams going, especially sunday teams as guys dont seem as interested as saturday teams, all it takes is a team having a hard half a season and guys go "f**k this im not giving up my saturday night bevvy for this shite"

also leagues are sometimes too stubborn for their own good, especially when teams fold, some leagues will not change their set up, instead simply promote teams to fill gaps, but this leads to teams being promoted that arent good enough and they get scudded every week

my sunday team is 6 years old now, we havent won much, only two cups, and have had a nightmare two years until last xmas time, but we stuck it out due to the guys being mates outside the game, we got lucky, other teams dont have that

22 hours ago, grahamredmond said:

I manage Strathaven Dynamo, we have lost 15 players over the summer, going for season tickets or just don't want to play football anymore, we're having to start again and find new players from nowhere

Very hard Graham, then the guys you get in heads go down after a few bad results. No loyalty in the amateur game no more unless a big bunch of pals.. There that far up there own arse it's embarrassing, young prima Donna's who wouldn't even warm the bench 20 years ago....

1 hour ago, loco de futbol said:

Very hard Graham, then the guys you get in heads go down after a few bad results. No loyalty in the amateur game no more unless a big bunch of pals.. There that far up there own arse it's embarrassing, young prima Donna's who wouldn't even warm the bench 20 years ago....

I personally disagree with this statement. In my opinion the gap between amateur and youth football has reversed. When I was young an u18's team would never beat any level of amateur so you aspired to play for our local ams team. Now Amateur teams are taking regular beatings off youth teams. The amateur team is held in low opinion now by the majority of football supporters. So when young players leave a youth football club with a disciplined structure and arrive at a regular ams team where the training is normally a shambles, guys just dont turn up but those same guys are guaranteed a start on a Saturday because there all mates its no wonder the young players get pissed off very quickly and start showing an attitude that wasn't  there in youth.

The comment about ...wouldn't even warm the bench 20 years ago... says more about the standard of the current amateur player than a young player IMO.

Archived