The Folk Rock thread

BB_Bino

Over the past 6 months I've been listening to a lot of Bears Den, Passenger, Kassidy & Lumineers. I know they're not everyone's club of tea.

Can anyone recommend any other 'Folk Rock' bands worth checking out?

Going back a bit maybe but how about Fairport Convention - still going strong and often credited with having invented folk rock?

Also consider  :  

Steeleyeye Span, The Albion Band, Fotheringay, Jethro Tull, Lindisfarne, Jack The Lad, Gryphon, Hedgehog Pie, Mathews Southern Comfort, JSD Band, Five Hand Reel, Horslips, The Oyster Band, The Incredible String Band,

No doubt WillieA will be on here soon with a few more suggestions!

:)

5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No doubt WillieA will be on here soon with a few more suggestions!

:)

Ha!  ICTJ has pretty much covered it.

If you want Scottish try Silly Wizard or Tannahill Weavers, Capercaillie, Ossian l, Irish, Planxty, Moving Hearts, Clannad, Welsh Ar Log. Breton Alan Stivell or Tri Yann. Galicean, Millardoiro.

If you google one you will find leads to lots of others

Umm ... the late Matmatah if you like your Beatles fronted by Alan Stivell. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Levs and the intergenerationally fucking superb NMA. Check out an album called Bear Hair by Island of the Misfit Toy is the 1960s West Coast thing appeals.

Greenie to ICTJohnboy for mentioning The Incredible String Band.

Two guys I know were respective bass players in North Sea Gas and Avalon, who were fairly popular locally in the 1980s - one of them goes to the Cropredy Festival every year.

Some nice attempts at folk-rock on Led Zeppelin III and IV, imo - The Battle of Evermore features the late Sandy Denny from The Fairports.

How about Richard Thompson's solo stuff, or Pentangle, featuring the brilliant Danny Thompson on bass?

Maybe even Nick Drake and John Martyn?

Archived