Musselburgh Athletic Football Club

Benny The Fish

Good luck to Calvin, Geordie and the boys tomorrow. Just go out and play the way you can and do yourselves proud. We have nothing to lose (apart from the match - now I think about it, it's a pretty rubbish saying!)

Anyway, KRR are top of their league, but I know we can beat them! Hopefully the wee break will have done us good!

Mon the Burgh!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week's defeat against KRR, in the Scottish, was quite hard to take. The boys played well, particularly in the 2nd half, and should have come away with at least a draw.  However, we move on, and the best way to do this is to show Dundonald Bluebell why we should be in the quarter finals of the Fife and Lothians Cup after tomorrow's match.

Lets get a winner, lets get a winner!! All best to Musselburgh!

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Last week's defeat against KRR, in the Scottish, was quite hard to take. The boys played well, particularly in the 2nd half, and should have come away with at least a draw.  However, we move on, and the best way to do this is to show Dundonald Bluebell why we should be in the quarter finals of the Fife and Lothians Cup after tomorrow's match.

Lets get a winner, lets get a winner!! All best to Musselburgh!

Agree Casey, it was a sore one. The boys were superb 2nd half. I think we should have at least been playing a replay at Olivebank tomorrow but hey ho. Will take one of the other cups as a consolation eh. Take it your traveling tomorrow, if so, see you there.

3 hours ago, Benny The Fish said:

Agree Casey, it was a sore one. The boys were superb 2nd half. I think we should have at least been playing a replay at Olivebank tomorrow but hey ho. Will take one of the other cups as a consolation eh. Take it your traveling tomorrow, if so, see you there.

Haven't left a game in a long time feeling so despondent as last week. Granted, I didn't think that we got off to a great start last week. KRR were the better team in the first half, and what a goal they scored! But we were much the better team in the 2nd half - always good to rely on the Ship's man to get important goals for us. What a terrible way to concede our second goal though. Up to the last five minutes, I genuinely thought we would get another, as you say to take us back to Olivebank. But they got the goals - we didn't - so need to change that for tomorrow, and I am confident in our boys to do so.

Will see you there Benny. Hopefully with a bus running tomorrow and some cars, we will have a good support.

YES!!! We got a winner, we got a winner! The golden oldie strikes again. I do hope that the Ship's man gets a few free pints if he enters the pub tonight, especially as his body took a wee battering today.

Game was played on a heavy pitch, but even against the wind and playing up a wee slope in the first half, thought we played well and it was good to go in at half time in the lead. Thought we would get more goals in the second half but a mixture of off target strikes or a number of blocked shots, it wasn't to be. But hey-ho who the hell cares - we are into the quarter finals, and with us also still in the East of Scotland cup with potential ties against St Andrews and Newtongrange, me thinks there is still a lot to play for for the rest of the season.

Mon the Burgh!

Game for 4 March has been announced, and the Burgh are at home in the East of Scotland Cup against St Andrews.

That means in four weeks, we will have played in four different competitions. Lost the Scottish; won in the Fife and Lothians Cup. Next two games are the league and the East of Scotland Cup. Looking forward to these two games, as it's good to watch my team at the moment, and hopefully after 4 March, it will be 3 out of 4 wins in these games.

Mon the Burgh

3 hours ago, Benny The Fish said:

Love your posts Casey - always very positive. And I agree, all winnable games coming up.

Cheers for that Benny. I try and be positive as I enjoy watching my team play. I also think I am fair and say when I don't think that Musselburgh have played well.

I believe that if the majority of the team stay next year, with perhaps an additional centre half and a forward, that we have the potential to have our best end of season position since joining the Super League. In Calvin, Geordie and the team I trust!

I admit I do have a moan or two as well, but I am happy to deal with, and respond to, any comments/moans that come back at me, as though it may be hard to believe, I'm not always right!?!?

Casey Jones, I've heard a little rumor from a good friend of mine that some of the players have not been paid again or are a month or so behind on wages and a few players are unhappy. If i can remember correctly this happened last year under the last management and shortly afterwards the wheels came of the bus at the athletic. Can you shed light on this?

Casey Jones, I've heard a little rumor from a good friend of mine that some of the players have not been paid again or are a month or so behind on wages and a few players are unhappy. If i can remember correctly this happened last year under the last management and shortly afterwards the wheels came of the bus at the athletic. Can you shed light on this?

If this is true then they wouldn't be the only super league club to be behind with wages.

Having seen the boys most games this season, in fact all but 2 of league and cup games - sorry benny, I'll need to ensure better commitment next year, I'm glad you posted that message.

All the players seem happy to be part of this team, all seem happy to talk to fans before and after games.

My thoughts are if this was the truth, why did both of our Management team come back to Musselburgh at the start of the season? Why did Jed stay with us and why did two of our former players also come back? If they knew they'd be shafted surely they would have stayed away.

If secret admirer is telling porky pies why doesn't he do one!

Meant to say 4 players who returned and turn up to each match. All the boys work hard for the management team and committee. If they were being short changed I'm not so sure we would see players putting in so much effort into each game.

20 hours ago, secret_admirer said:

Hi secret admirer. Have just seen Benny's comment from earlier on, which appears to refute the rumOUR you heard from your good friend. So has the bus hit the wall, and the wheels come off to this story of yours?

As said before I support my team, go to the matches, enjoy a Saturday because of this, and though it's a worry for me to hear these things, hopefully Benny has more knowledge than you on this issue.

To be truthful, I am surprised that there are still so many Junior teams playing these days. For most teams, crowds at matches aren't great, and I bet more than not have worries that all is not good at times when paying players and co. 

On 2/21/2017 at 16:16, Benny The Fish said:

Having just come off to the phone to our Manager literally 5 minutes ago I can 100% confirm that Secret Admirer is talking out of his arse as per usual. Players fully paid up to date and one big happy family within the squad this year. That is a fact.

Sorry to disappoint you but i was correct last year when the club failed to pay players for a few months, even 3 at one point, the 'gaffer' if he would speak to you would know that what happens in the changing room stays in the changing room and it's not disclosed to fans!

So if/when the club have a poorer run of results or even relegated, which will be down to players being unhappy i'm sure i will be waiting on an apology ;) 

Also can you confirm (once you speak to the gaffer again) if Sean Murphy 'SKIP' has been approached by Penicuik for next season? Apparently they have already agreed a deal with him personally if he can get released or transferred? 

6 hours ago, secret_admirer said:

Sorry to disappoint you but i was correct last year when the club failed to pay players for a few months, even 3 at one point, the 'gaffer' if he would speak to you would know that what happens in the changing room stays in the changing room and it's not disclosed to fans!

So if/when the club have a poorer run of results or even relegated, which will be down to players being unhappy i'm sure i will be waiting on an apology ;) 

Also can you confirm (once you speak to the gaffer again) if Sean Murphy 'SKIP' has been approached by Penicuik for next season? Apparently they have already agreed a deal with him personally if he can get released or transferred? 

Need to wait and see if Benny will answer you, but he may think it is a waste of his finger power answering a guy why just seems to like a bit of stirring!

If this did happen last season, I'm sure Musselburgh wasn't the only team who had such difficulties, and it also doesn't mean that it has to be the same for this term.

Relegation will not happen this season and I'm sure you won't apologise on this thread at the end of this season when we are still in the Super League at that time. From what you write, I doubt you would have the mentality to say you are wrong.

Is all the things that you say hearsay or do you ever come down and what Musselburgh play. If you do come, you would see how well the players get on with each other and whether things do stay in the dressing room or if players are unhappy as you appear to think, they must be good actors as well as good players, cause that certainly doesn't show week in week out.

I would be surprised if Skip hadn't been spoken to by other teams within our league, whether or not it was Penicuik.If you have seen Skip play this season, you would know he has been consistently good in all matches, Jonny Harvey would probably confirm personally, if he is one of your contacts, (though I doubt he would waste his breath with you) that Skip was outstanding in our replayed Scottish cup tie against KRR.

If Skip was to leave Burgh in the close season, and I hope he doesn't, why would he go to Penicuik, when there is a better Midlothian team closer to here that would be a better team and option for him than the sloped arena of Penicuik. However, a safer bet, if he was to leave, would be to go up a level, and leave for a senior team. He certainly has the skill for such a move.I think he will stay, as he is already surrounded by good players and he has time on his hands to improve his own skills, and learning from our management team.

9 hours ago, secret_admirer said:

Sean Murphy has already signed a deal to keep him at Musselburgh next season. You really need to try harder Secret Admirer. I look forward to the next load of mumbo jumbo to come out of your mouth.

Archived