Berwick v Annan

Huuuuuuuugely looking forward to this. No Saturday friendlies or cup ties at Berwick mean this my first trip north since last season.

Missed my pub, chippy and Berwickers.  Oh and there is a match on too.

Decent result up at Broath and with Mckenna and Mackie (sometime) to come back,  I'm a lot more optimistic now than after the cup games. Hope Notty recovers though.... 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this and getting to see more having only seen us thus far in a pish defeat to Gateshead. Annan generally provide tough opposition but since it's not at Galabank we might actually have a chance.

Nevertheless our chances would be improved should the board find it in their ice cold hearts to supply Cough with a bit extra for another addition. I fear his repeated mentions of the matter on BRFC TV are attempts at pressuring that are simply going ignored.

I agree that the development team should be good enough to supplement us, but it simply isn't doing that in forward areas - a quick look of the bench on Saturday and you won't see much in the way of gamechangers there.

Was pleasing to see Lavery get an assist yesterday - hoping that sparks him into life a bit as he's had a quiet six months. It looks as though him and Sheerin are struggling to click so far, though I do assume most partnerships take time.

13 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Nevertheless our chances would be improved should the board find it in their ice cold hearts to supply Cough with a bit extra for another addition. I fear his repeated mentions of the matter on BRFC TV are attempts at pressuring that are simply going ignored.

Yes. Story from Saturday is one in, one out.............which, if true, suggests the purse strings have been hotwired to a taser.

Sheerin still far too isolated. Not entirely sure whether that's because tactics need further refinement, or just that the partnership with Lavery/ Thompson/McKenna is still to gel.

Good response from the players on Saturday after last Tuesday's horror show. Looking forward to Saturday. Annan have haemorrhaged some good players, but Chapman has brought in plenty of reinforcements, unlike our board who are taking the George Osborne austerity roadmap a little bit too seriously. Tough one to call, but I'll go for a narrow home win.

I predict if we lose or draw, total Private Frazer-fest melt down from The Negiviterati on here. And just general whining that it wasn't good enough if we win. 15-0 Berwick, Kev Walker gets 7 and saves a penalty. Subbed at halftime as his suit get's a small wrinkle, Sean Brennan completes the scoring. 'Mon the Dream Team.

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

I predict if we lose or draw, total Private Frazer-fest melt down from The Negiviterati on here. And just general whining that it wasn't good enough if we win. 15-0 Berwick, Kev Walker gets 7 and saves a penalty. Subbed at halftime as his suit get's a small wrinkle, Sean Brennan completes the scoring. 'Mon the Dream Team.

One top 4 finish in 9 years. One of our most embarrassing cup defeats in recent history last week. And a manager on repeat about his desperate need for reinforcements. Yet you wonder why there's some negativity about?

I'm as excited about the new league season as anyone. I hope we win the league. I think we've got some good players and I am a big supporter of our manager. But I'm also a realist. I want better things for our football club. I don't expect us to win the league or even challenge for it every season, but now and again I'd like to see us put a genuinely competitive team on the park. It's been too long since we did that, and I think it's reasonable to hold the board to account for that failure. If you don't challenge them to improve things, feel free to put on your slippers and smoking jacket and sit idly by as we slide out of the league.

I agree it's negative at times on here, but 'Negiviterati' is up there with the worst thing I've ever seen. I hope you get ebola

And I hope you get a sense of humour. I'm more likely to get Ebola, which will be more pleasant than you. Lighten up man. Negativitirati might be bad; but hooked you.[emoji23]

One top 4 finish in 9 years. One of our most embarrassing cup defeats in recent history last week. And a manager on repeat about his desperate need for reinforcements. Yet you wonder why there's some negativity about?

I'm as excited about the new league season as anyone. I hope we win the league. I think we've got some good players and I am a big supporter of our manager. But I'm also a realist. I want better things for our football club. I don't expect us to win the league or even challenge for it every season, but now and again I'd like to see us put a genuinely competitive team on the park. It's been too long since we did that, and I think it's reasonable to hold the board to account for that failure. If you don't challenge them to improve things, feel free to put on your slippers and smoking jacket and sit idly by as we slide out of the league.

Great post RM, balanced and real. It's the lack of that balance on here that rips my knitting. And fairly challenging is spot on too, I'm all for developmental feedback; but alongside motivational; unfortunately a foreign concept with at least one poster on here.

I love our club, the work being done to build strong grass roots options and M desperate to see us achieve.

Holding the board to account is always correct; I'm a director of another sports club and signed up to that legally and morally.

It'll all take a bit of time, and giving Coff 2 years, alongside the strengthening of developing our young players and the new Academy will hopefully bear fruit before his tenure is out. I believe it will.

Our recent record hurts deeply; I was a season ticket holder until 2 years ago; and results have been ruining my Saturday as much as anyone else's. But I'm happy with the framework; not happy when we play badly: Spartans was a nightmare result. I see all this being as good a basis for success for the club for some time.

On 8/8/2016 at 11:37, Red Mist said:

Yes. Story from Saturday is one in, one out.............which, if true, suggests the purse strings have been hotwired to a taser.

Sheerin still far too isolated. Not entirely sure whether that's because tactics need further refinement, or just that the partnership with Lavery/ Thompson/McKenna is still to gel.

Good response from the players on Saturday after last Tuesday's horror show. Looking forward to Saturday. Annan have haemorrhaged some good players, but Chapman has brought in plenty of reinforcements, unlike our board who are taking the George Osborne austerity roadmap a little bit too seriously. Tough one to call, but I'll go for a narrow home win.

Well that's all well and good, lifted from BBC website

In: Jordyn Sheerin, forward (Livingston); Kevin McKinlay, defender (Stirling Albion); Sean Brennan, goalkeeper (Hibernian); Lee Hamilton, defender (Stirling Albion); Steven Thomson, forward (Musselburgh Athletic); Jordan Orru, defender (Dunfermline Athletic). Loan: Ben Stirling, defender (Hibernian); Sean Mackie, defender (Hibernian).

Out: Finn Graham, midfielder (Brechin City); Blair Henderson, forward (Stirling Albion); Ewan McNeil, defender (Clyde); Ross Drummond, defender (Dundonald Bluebell); Billy Bald, goalkeeper; Mark Walters, goalkeeper; Dwayne Coultress, midfielder. Loan ended: Jordan McGregor, defender (Hibernian); Callum Crane, defender (Hibernian); Dylan Stevenson, midfielder (Greenock Morton); Sandy Cunningham, forward (Stirling Albion)

To me thats 5 in not including J Orru for under 20s and 2 Loanees in !!

with 7 departing and 4 loanees returning to home teams.

So my maths says there should be finances for 2 more players and options for a further 2 loanees !!!

Can the board kindly step up

3 hours ago, A Believer said:

Great post RM, balanced and real. It's the lack of that balance on here that rips my knitting. And fairly challenging is spot on too, I'm all for developmental feedback; but alongside motivational; unfortunately a foreign concept with at least one poster on here.

I love our club, the work being done to build strong grass roots options and M desperate to see us achieve.

Holding the board to account is always correct; I'm a director of another sports club and signed up to that legally and morally.

It'll all take a bit of time, and giving Coff 2 years, alongside the strengthening of developing our young players and the new Academy will hopefully bear fruit before his tenure is out. I believe it will.

Our recent record hurts deeply; I was a season ticket holder until 2 years ago; and results have been ruining my Saturday as much as anyone else's. But I'm happy with the framework; not happy when we play badly: Spartans was a nightmare result. I see all this being as good a basis for success for the club for some time.

Cheers. Agree absolutely that some of the community-based stuff is really positive. Long overdue maybe, but huge credit to the club for finally addressing one of the structural weaknesses holding it back. I think we've got a good, committed, forward-thinking manager in place, but my big worry is the ability of the board to back his ambitions. I really don't want to revive the arguments about who should have been appointed chair etc, but I strongly believe that a radical overhaul of the FC governance is the way forward, rather than the traditional board structure. The future success of the club isn't something that exists in a bubble. It's intrinsically linked to the wellbeing and feelgood factor of the wider community. We need to get it right, and having a football team to be proud of is an important part of that bigger picture stuff.

A comfy win v Annan would be a good starting point.

Criticism of the board over the playing budget is unwarranted. It is their responsibility to sit down with the manager and agree a budget for the season ahead. From what I understand this year, they agreed on a sizeable amount, certainly good enough to get a squad to challenge at the right end of the table. The fact we seen off other league clubs to sign Jordan Sheerin suggests the above looks accurate. Once that money has gone, the board cannot be blamed for not releasing more funds. Word on the street suggests money is still available as a bid of £200 per week was made for a striker on loan. 

The board have done great work in the community of late and deserve praise for their recent efforts, it's over to the manager to deliver success on the pitch, hopefully starting tomorrow.

How many boards actually sit down with their manager and 'agree' a budget? I highly doubt Cough would have had much say.

I'm sure if we're in a position to push on come January the board will allocate funds to support it, and that's good. But as it stands I think we're 2 short, and with what seem to be our better development team players now loaned out for regular Saturday football, what is left to fill the bench?

Our amount of game changing options, whether including those loaned out or not, look slim. Injuries could quite easily wipe out our season before January.

Archived