Berwick v Annan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But as it stands I think we're 2 short, and with what seem to be our better development team players now loaned out for regular Saturday football, what is left to fill the bench?

Our amount of game changing options, whether including those loaned out or not, look slim. Injuries could quite easily wipe out our season before January.

Agree we'd be a better outfit with 2 more established players, and of course you're right about the impact of injury to key players, but TBF surely that's the case with any lower league club.

And re cover in that case, surely we can recall any loanee's at any time? Like Hibs did with ours? 2 recent loanee's both with development squad last night.

Really looking forward to the match today. Mon the dream team.

Agree we'd be a better outfit with 2 more established players, and of course you're right about the impact of injury to key players, but TBF surely that's the case with any lower league club.

And re cover in that case, surely we can recall any loanee's at any time? Like Hibs did with ours? 2 recent loanee's both with development squad last night.

Really looking forward to the match today. Mon the dream team.

I'd argue the only club who are realistically aiming for a play off spot where it isn't the case is Arbroath, with Campbell admitting at the end of last season he'd be going with about 14 decent players and doing a Berwick. The likes of Clyde for example will have no issues covering injury, and I think even the likes of Stirling are better equipped.

I think we can recall but my point is what about now. Our bench this afternoon will most likely demonstrate our lack of game changing options. By the sounds of it, the management would rather the best kids were getting 90 mins elsewhere than sitting on our bench on the off chance of 10 mins here. That leaves us short.

Hopefully we can get a result. Minus Mackie we're at full strength so we should certainly have a better idea of our depth and ability by 5pm!

Terrific work rate and application. We worked even harder arguably when we down to 10 men.

Mikey McKenna and Steven Thomson deserved their goals particularly for their hard work and invention. The formers determination to score his was admirable.

Very solid at the back, both full backs defended and pushed on well.

Well done the squad; and Coff for reinforcing strong and successful principles of pushing the back four out and always having someone pressing the ball when they have it in our half.

Corners had purpose with the only niggle being the poor quality of delivery of free kicks when we were in a dangerous position.

Dare I say that the team didn't weaken when the subs came on.

Great performance, well done the dream team.

Well done boys any talant last night?

Kinda sitting on the fence to say that it was just a great all round performance. New striker finished well for first two goals, and back division and goalkeepers all looked a good unit.

If we can keep this group of players to their late teens, we could have the nucleus of something good. After all, TBF development is a slow burner rather that instant success.

Annan were totally shite. A totally shite game - not worthy of £12 & ridiculous £7 for concessions - no way to attract young fans.

Under 12s Annan in fr nout.

OK I made an  arse of ma prediction - have a good laugh.

2 new boys from last week did hee haw yesterday - Chappie ? contacts oh aye.

Intuition - he's no other job, flannels away - the freebie committee boys easy taken in wi his patter.

Big question - where did the 50 grand (people's millions)  go in a year.

Money set aside for replacing  pitch by agreement - Zilch  - oh oh got out of jail  Rangers at Ibrox.

Annan no transparency 

Good meltdown above there. For the record, all kids can get junior season tickets for free. I'd encourage anyone who brings their kids across from the away team to do it too. The club will happily hand them out, because weirdly I think even they acknowledge that £7 is fucking ridiculous for a kid.

Agree that the crowd was very disappointing. Hopefully some positivity can be spun from a good performance and result with 10 men as opposed to the doom and gloom, and that may drag a few back in next week. There'll also be the talk-in on Friday so hopefully that can ignite some interest too.

I heard a few in the Ducket say that we were 'alright' etc during the game. Personally, I thought we played Annan off the park. In the first-half we limited them to two chances. One which Brian Martin blocked, and another powderpuff header that bounced into Walker's arms with utter ease. We meanwhile created numerous chances, and whilst we failed to put them away, we were cruising. Second-half, Annan created a few chances after the red, but again, we were more than equal to them and it was most pleasing to see the determination to keep a clean sheet even with 10 men and a 2 goal cushion - no one shyed away. In years past, we'd likely have conceeded a first softly and our arses would have went for a second (see most Colin Cameron era games).

The switch to 4-4-1-1 looked a very wise one from Cough. For all the stick he gets, I thought Walker did very well in the centre of the park whilst on. He was commanding the team into an organised shape and ensuring things remained tight. The dirty work him and Notman put in allowed for a platform for McKenna, Stirling & Thomson to cause havoc. I thought Jordyn Sheerin was terrific though, I really think he'll be a huge player for us whether or not he's netting regularly. The amount of times he brought others into play with clever movement or determined hold-up play was outrageous for a League Two striker. I think he'll get amongst the goals too, but if that's his contribution when he isn't, I'd be delighted with it. Man of the Match for me yesterday. 

At the back, we looked good too. McKinlay and Hamilton are two tough-tackling full backs who are more than happy to take wingers out of the game. It's not pretty, but at this level it's something I think we've lacked since the last time Cough was about. From my angle, it was never a red but I've heard quite a few from the other side say he went in over the top of the ball so perhaps it was. What was a certain red was David McKenna's 2-footed knee to Kevin Walker's dome. I've genuinely not got a fucking clue how a ref can acknowledge a foul like that with only a yellow card. Walker was very good yesterday, he's improving quite rapidly. He made a few quality stops, and perhaps more tellingly, he's starting to come support his defence with important punches/catches away.

Fairbairn's suspension is a big chance for Robert Wilson. He improved immensely towards the back end of last season, and I hope he can impress again here.

Annan meanwhile were pish. Ramsay I thought would be a danger but minus some threatening set-pieces, most notably his quick free-kick to Wright late on that almost caught us out, he was poor. But it was the same across the park. What happened to the 'keeper Annan used to have, Jordan Hart? Always thought he was quality when I watched him.

A good result. Not to get carried away of course, but it's always nice going under the radar and picking up points! I suspect Forfar will be a much tougher test but after yesterday I look forward to it.

4 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Good meltdown above there. For the record, all kids can get junior season tickets for free. I'd encourage anyone who brings their kids across from the away team to do it too. The club will happily hand them out, because weirdly I think even they acknowledge that £7 is fucking ridiculous for a kid.

Agree that the crowd was very disappointing. Hopefully some positivity can be spun from a good performance and result with 10 men as opposed to the doom and gloom, and that may drag a few back in next week. There'll also be the talk-in on Friday so hopefully that can ignite some interest too.

I heard a few in the Ducket say that we were 'alright' etc during the game. Personally, I thought we played Annan off the park. In the first-half we limited them to two chances. One which Brian Martin blocked, and another powderpuff header that bounced into Walker's arms with utter ease. We meanwhile created numerous chances, and whilst we failed to put them away, we were cruising. Second-half, Annan created a few chances after the red, but again, we were more than equal to them and it was most pleasing to see the determination to keep a clean sheet even with 10 men and a 2 goal cushion - no one shyed away. In years past, we'd likely have conceeded a first softly and our arses would have went for a second (see most Colin Cameron era games).

The switch to 4-4-1-1 looked a very wise one from Cough. For all the stick he gets, I thought Walker did very well in the centre of the park whilst on. He was commanding the team into an organised shape and ensuring things remained tight. The dirty work him and Notman put in allowed for a platform for McKenna, Stirling & Thomson to cause havoc. I thought Jordyn Sheerin was terrific though, I really think he'll be a huge player for us whether or not he's netting regularly. The amount of times he brought others into play with clever movement or determined hold-up play was outrageous for a League Two striker. I think he'll get amongst the goals too, but if that's his contribution when he isn't, I'd be delighted with it. Man of the Match for me yesterday. 

At the back, we looked good too. McKinlay and Hamilton are two tough-tackling full backs who are more than happy to take wingers out of the game. It's not pretty, but at this level it's something I think we've lacked since the last time Cough was about. From my angle, it was never a red but I've heard quite a few from the other side say he went in over the top of the ball so perhaps it was. What was a certain red was David McKenna's 2-footed knee to Kevin Walker's dome. I've genuinely not got a fucking clue how a ref can acknowledge a foul like that with only a yellow card. Walker was very good yesterday, he's improving quite rapidly. He made a few quality stops, and perhaps more tellingly, he's starting to come support his defence with important punches/catches away.

Fairbairn's suspension is a big chance for Robert Wilson. He improved immensely towards the back end of last season, and I hope he can impress again here.

Annan meanwhile were pish. Ramsay I thought would be a danger but minus some threatening set-pieces, most notably his quick free-kick to Wright late on that almost caught us out, he was poor. But it was the same across the park. What happened to the 'keeper Annan used to have, Jordan Hart? Always thought he was quality when I watched him.

A good result. Not to get carried away of course, but it's always nice going under the radar and picking up points! I suspect Forfar will be a much tougher test but after yesterday I look forward to it.

Pretty well spot on.

I guess the "it was alright" approach is an understandable reluctance not to get too excited after years of mediocrity.

But this was a dominating performance against a poor Annan team,  who spent much of the game whingeing at the ref, each other, or passing seagulls. 

I too heard that a standside view of Fairbairn's tackle suggested that a red was deserved. But I'd still like to see a replay as Jonny's own reaction suggested a genuine attempt to win the ball, with contact only being made because the Annan player went for it too. Depends how reckless (or not) he was in the follow through.

That said, the assault on Walker was clearly more dangerous and the ref bottled it for fear of being accused of even-ing things up for the sake of it.  Mr Steven was, as usual, pish in lots of other regards. At least 10 warnings for dissent to moaning Annan players but no further action except to send the Annan coach to the stand when he did it, a sympathy free kick for Berwick soon after the red, and several instances of just getting fouls and free kicks the wrong way round. A really crap ref - always has been

Back at the match, I agree that Sheerin - who played with a serious gash on his leg - was excellent. Holds the ball up brilliantly and an absolute bulldozer. A perfect foil for McKenna. Sheerin's ability to get to the ball first, control it and hold it up till support arrives is a world away from Henderson's flick and hope technique.

I was particularly impressed with Hamilton at RB,  and with Brian Martin.

Promising stuff, but tempered by the apparently poor opposition. Next week will be very interesting, especially without Fairbairn. 

What I dont understand is that Annan are a League 2 club with a development team and yet they have signed 3 french lads who look all to be at least 25 years old. If these players are stifling the young Scottish players then I think its a disgrace for these clubs to even run a youth development. How is this helping Scottish Football and if its the view to help the club get up the divisions by bringing in average foreign players then they should not have any funding to have a youth development system.

Annan perhaps should be picking players from North of England because of location but France?? Does anyone know why these players are there.

Berwick seem to have the balance right, good young players or players who have not yet filled potential along with some loan players.

Do any other League 1 or 2 clubs have so many international players???  

4 minutes ago, young talent spotter said:

What I dont understand is that Annan are a League 2 club with a development team and yet they have signed 3 french lads who look all to be at least 25 years old. If these players are stifling the young Scottish players then I think its a disgrace for these clubs to even run a youth development. How is this helping Scottish Football and if its the view to help the club get up the divisions by bringing in average foreign players then they should not have any funding to have a youth development system.

Annan perhaps should be picking players from North of England because of location but France?? Does anyone know why these players are there.

Berwick seem to have the balance right, good young players or players who have not yet filled potential along with some loan players.

Do any other League 1 or 2 clubs have so many international players???  

If the French players are better than the young Scottish players then the decision to pick the French players is the best one for Annan.

2 minutes ago, RangersRyan084 said:

If the French players are better than the young Scottish players then the decision to pick the French players is the best one for Annan.

Are they? from what I saw yesterday they did not stand out but I haven't seen all there games. But nevertheless how is developing other nationality good for the Scottish game? If this is what Annan want to do then they should not be given any money to develop players in an academy. Short term gain in my opinion.  if it was a goalscoring striker they could not find in Scotland then I understand but a left back and a CB? I also understand they cannot maybe attract players there but its League 2???? 

You must watch them so ill bow to your opinion of them being better but we would as well just shut up shop in Scotland if our young players are being stifled.  

26 minutes ago, young talent spotter said:

Are they? from what I saw yesterday they did not stand out but I haven't seen all there games. But nevertheless how is developing other nationality good for the Scottish game? If this is what Annan want to do then they should not be given any money to develop players in an academy. Short term gain in my opinion.  if it was a goalscoring striker they could not find in Scotland then I understand but a left back and a CB? I also understand they cannot maybe attract players there but its League 2???? 

You must watch them so ill bow to your opinion of them being better but we would as well just shut up shop in Scotland if our young players are being stifled.  

I don't watch Annan so therefore haven't seen the players thats why I put the if at the beginning of the sentence, all I am saying is that if I were an Annan fan I would rather a better foreigner playing rather than a worse young Scottish player.

WELCOME TO EDUSPORT ACADEMY

The Edusport Academy is a residential football academy based in Scotland designed to offer the very best environment to develop talented footballers both on and off the pitch.

Created in 2011, the Edusport Academy now has academies in Glasgow and Edinburgh with teams competing in both the South of Scotland and the Lowland U20 Leagues respectively.

The 1-year academic program offers talented footballers the unique opportunity to combine high-level football coaching with intense English language tuition whilst benefiting from the experience of living abroad.

Training daily in the best football facilities in Scotland, our players benefit from the coaching experience of top UEFA qualified coaching staff, allowing them to improve technically, tactically and physically, guaranteeing remarkable progress during their time at the Academy.

Regular matches organized against professional clubs in Scotland allow our players to be tested and showcase their talents at the highest level.

As well as continuing their football education, players attend 10 hours per week of intense English language tuition, ensuring that each player is guaranteed something positive for their future.

Our players will also gain a coaching qualification delivered by the Scottish FA and will have opportunities in the USA and Canada upon completion of their year in Scotland.

The Edusport Academy is all about development - Developing the player, developing the person, developing opportunities, developing your future!

Archived