Brechin v QP

We were excellent for the first half hour against Airdrie and threatening for the last ten and poor inbetween. Similarly, we were poor for 45 minutes at Stenny and then went on to control the second half and deservedly win the game. Still a few of the lads bedding in, but they all look absolutely fine and look like they have something to offer. If we can play as we have in our good spells and take our chances, we can absolutely take something from this game. It'll be a tough assignment against a side with some good players who know what's required at this level. We know Alan Trouten and also the likes of Ally Love and Andy Jackson will be a threat.

I'd be tempted to go with Connor McVey in midfield ahead of Liam Brown. I think Brown is a talent with good technical ability, but I think we're going to have to win the battle in midfield. Connor has had a few critics, but he's looked really good in the early stages of the season and has been putting himself about. Aiden Malone was back during the week, so I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the side. He looks like a big strong lad who can hold it up and isn't shy of having a dig. Brechin will be obvious favourites but, as with most away games, I'd be pleased with the point but certainly think we're capable of three if we can play to the best of our ability. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brechin had a tough season last year but the stats suggest their escape plan had success at home and in the last quarter of the season so if that's the trend we're in for a hard shift. Still, we know our lads will go to the end and Gus has shown already he's using the bigger squad well, not only for different opponents but shuffling the pack during the game to exploit our opponents weakness.

Our midweek game was an early opportunity to keep most of the squad lively but I'd expect us to start with similar to Stenny. Nice to know we've got a decent second goalie.

Been a while since I was up at Glebe Park but like all the Angus clubs it's always a good place to be. 2-2 on the day.

Looks like a good crowd going up on the bus and really looking forward to this one! Early days to be bigging games up, but with matches against Livi, Peterhead (away) and Alloa in the coming weeks important we come away with something from this one.

We were pretty dreadful at Firhill on Tuesday but thankfully there will be a number of changes for this one so wouldnt expect that performance to effect matters.

Agree with an86 that we should be looking to get McVey in for Brown. Stacks of potential in Brown but he has struggled every time I've seen him so far this season. Maybe its too early to ask him to play such a crucial role in this division as games are passing him by, and it leaves Darren Miller with far too large a workload beside him.

Good to see Malone back fit midweek but he didn't look up to speed. I'd personally be tempted to start with Carter now he's fit as I think he's the best option we have in the centre forward position.

I'd go:

Murphy

Millen, McGeever, Cummins, Burns

Miller, McVey

Woods, Galt, Watt

Carter

Decent line up there Andyboy. Malone didn't do that well on Tuesday but he can hold the ball up better than Carter so would be tempted to stick with him in the meantime. Wonder if at last Gus will have a sub keeper on the bench.I know losing your goalie is a rare occurrence but is it worth the gamble to continue with no back up?

Hopefully Trouten will get a well deserved reception from the troops before we get on with supporting our lads. A top player for us and only a few days before the 10th anniversary of him scoring that winning penalty against the Dons. 

Would definitely go with Malone as Glebe Park is narrow and Carter needs space to run into, so Malone would be the better choice for this particular one. On a tighter pitch he'll have less running to do, so any perceived lack of fitness won't be as much of an issue as it would have been if the game was at Hampden.

We haven't played you guys in a league encounter for a few years . Looking forward to it . Think it will be a hard game but hope to maintain our unbeaten start to the league. We will have to be at our best as there are no easy games in this league, Anybody can beat anyone on the day. That said i'll stick my neck out and go 2-1 to City.

Hoping that City play the way they have been the last few weeks, what a massive difference from the same time last year, good to see City fighting for every ball and playing good football. don't know too much about QP but my heart says a narrow victory for Brechin.

A truly terrible game.

Maybe Buzz gets pass marks but the rest....no. Plenty of effort but no much football.

I would expect Smith and Rodgers to be replaced with McLean and McCormack next week....please.

Our wing backs were too deep and did not offer balls out, the defence kept pumping it long to the big No 5 and we could not pass to another red shirt anywhere.

Trouten looked like he'd had a fish super and a pint before the game.

The ref blew a foul for every contact. QP played their part in being equally as gash, relying on just breaking up the play and slowing down any momentum - something we never had or were likely to have with QP's approach and the ref.

It also showed our lack of alternatives as the shape and personnel did not change - Caldwell came on but huffed and puffed along with everyone else. We need another creative player for middle to front and a striker.

E Smith is a back up midfielder not a first pick centre half.

Poor game by all concerned but my cup is half full and we are undefeated in league after three - lets hope we cannot be that gash again.

A truly terrible game.

Maybe Buzz gets pass marks but the rest....no. Plenty of effort but no much football.

I would expect Smith and Rodgers to be replaced with McLean and McCormack next week....please.

Our wing backs were too deep and did not offer balls out, the defence kept pumping it long to the big No 5 and we could not pass to another red shirt anywhere.

Trouten looked like he'd had a fish super and a pint before the game.

The ref blew a foul for every contact. QP played their part in being equally as gash, relying on just breaking up the play and slowing down any momentum - something we never had or were likely to have with QP's approach and the ref.

It also showed our lack of alternatives as the shape and personnel did not change - Caldwell came on but huffed and puffed along with everyone else. We need another creative player for middle to front and a striker.

E Smith is a back up midfielder not a first pick centre half.

Poor game by all concerned but my cup is half full and we are undefeated in league after three - lets hope we cannot be that gash again.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Very poor performance today, just didn't get going at all. Ref was absolutely terrible also, some bizarre decisions and didn't let the game flow at all.

McCormack and Pabs need to come back in assuming they are fully fit for next week. It seems bizarre saying that after another clean sheet but there was a few errors today that should have been punished. Rodger seems to be prone to lapses of concentration and although Euan Smith has done well out of position, he shouldn't be utilised there unless absolutely necessary.

At the end of the day it's a point and we continue our unbeaten start. Hopefully we improve for East Fife next week.

We got a point from a game we barely deserved anything from imo. Agree with CF's comments about a wee  change at the back , although bit hard on Euan Smith as i feel he has done ok covering that position. Thought to myself looking at the bench, ' who can come on and change this' the answer 'no one '. So creative midfielder / striker will hopefully be added in due course as the manager will no doubt be aware that is where our weakness is. That said not sure what the finances is like but possible to get someone in on loan ? Anyway , positives , we are still unbeaten , we could have quite easily lost that today but didn't, Trouts tackle on the standside linesman second half, and i had a fantastic coffee at half time.....still in a better place than we were a year ago.....on to the next one.

Archived