Read an interesting piece on the BBC website from the forthcoming Scottish Football program due this week. States that during the Hearts v Hibs Derby in 1990, the Police asked Hearts not to score any more goals in the second half as they were 3-0 ahead. The Police were worried there would be a riot as the Mercer takeover trouble had happened not long before it. What's your thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Thoughts on what? 

It says in the same article that they never held back after half-time. 

I would imagine some of the Hearts players would have held back, not wanting the game stopped by police.

Just now, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Whats that got to do with it? :lol:

They never done what the police asked them, it says so in the article. 

No it doesn't :lol:

Do big teams always make up excuses when they can't match the prolific score line record of their wee rivals?

HIbs were completely there for the taken and Hearts could still only muster 3. Hibs put 7 past Hearts when Hearts weren't at a complete disadvantage.

3 hours ago, Cream Cheese said:

Do big teams always make up excuses when they can't match the prolific score line record of their wee rivals?

HIbs were completely there for the taken and Hearts could still only muster 3. Hibs put 7 past Hearts when Hearts weren't at a complete disadvantage.

Trying to gain one-upmanship because we only mauled you by three. titter.png

No idea why this rankles Hibs fans so much, tbh. Police told us to stop scoring, we did. It's no like there's a wee star beside the scoreline to denote "Actual score would have been 18-0 if not for the constabulary"

If only the police had taken this approach during the Scottish cup final.

The police should have put a stop to the scoring after Andy Halliday put Rangers 2-1 up.

Then the peace loving rangers fans wouldn't have had to come on and defend their players and we would have avoided the hospitalisation of the Rangers team.

21 hours ago, Cream Cheese said:

Yet 7-0 isn't the biggest scoreline between the sides.....

54 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was there and at the time it looked like Hearts were taking it easy in the second half.

Not that anyone in the Hearts end seemed bothered 

I was bothered.  I wanted a hammering and more pitch invasions.

Still, all things considered, I enjoyed it.

Archived