Palawan

XIII

Certainly one of the better parts of that god forsaken hole that's the Philippines ( [emoji12] ). Pretty much beaches and caves. The north of the island is meant to be a real getaway. Personally I'd find a better place to go for my honeymoon than The Philippines.

Have to agree with TM here.  I was 'seeing' a Filipina for a few years.  She'd been working in London for a while and we planned a big trip 'over there', including a week in El Nido, Palawan.  The island itself may have some pretty good parts to it but I concluded that the rest of the country was a stinking, corrupt, backward shithole and it wasn't worth the time and money to endure the rest of it just for a few days in a wee bungalow by the sea.

Needless to say she took it well.  Nice girl, though.

I concluded that the rest of the country was a stinking, corrupt, backward shithole

A stinking corrupt, backward shithole which is heading precariously close to martial law. But probably the only way to drag the country forwards. Certainly not a place I would be remotely consider for a honeymoon.

In fairness things are improving generally, now the bodies are piling up (or disappearing), but it's a long troublesome path for Duterte and the Philippines. The bombing in Davao last week and the bomb threats around Malacanang would suggest Duterte has now created enough enemies that his tenure is going to be more challenging.

3 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

A stinking corrupt, backward shithole which is heading precariously close to martial law. But probably the only way to drag the country forwards. Certainly not a place I would be remotely considering for a honeymoon.

A honeymoon there right now?  Indeed not.  There are hunners of island paradises more attractive, where the food doesn't taste of vinegar and where they actually process sewage rather than pump it straight in to the sea.

On Filipino politics I'm no expert but chat to Celestine, my Pinay ex, now and then on FB.  At the age of 33 she's gone back to Yooni in Cebu to study to be a doctor and this is to her credit.  She's absolutely no lover of Duterte and regards his election as abhorrent and a bit of an embarrassment.  She also referenced martial law and wouldn't be surprised if it happens.  She also recognises that she may be out of step with many other Filipinos who seem to adore Du30.

How're you liking Jakarta?  Are you in the oil industry there?  Are you from Motherwell originally?

<<Nosy b*****d.

It's seems a wild choice for a honeymoon, each to their own I suppose. Lived in the Philippines for around 3 years and experiences (both personal and business) astounded me. Half of which I doubt most people would believe. It could be and should be a great country, but corruption and cheating is so ingrained its hard to break. There is also a major flaw in that there is always little to no follow up on anything (there is a word in tagalog for it which I have forgotten) and no one is prepared to lead by example. Had several Filipina girlfriends before and everyone was trouble or at least some of their family were. They will rob and steal from anyone including their own family.

I was sceptical of Duterte before he got in, but honestly, if he gets it all right, it will benefit the country. He has to break the grip of the 'families' running the country and that's doubtful. He has achieved great (also illegal and against human rights) things in his first few months but murdering criminals and threatening people isn't really a political plan with longevity and with the bombing and bomb threats things will get more challenging. He has already empowered the army and it's only one step from martial law which I'm sure will happen. The drawback is he needs the support and help of the people and as mentioned above with no follow through, when things get tough they'll drift away and what happens next? He can either drag the country forward, get assassinated in the process or the country falls into civil war. Manufacturing development is 'on hold' as companies wait to see what happens and the country has to import rice from overseas, mental!

I don't mind Jakarta, but as the wife is Indonesian I may be biased. It's an easy place to stay with only the traffic and the inability to buy alcohol locally (regional laws), it's fine, but moving to Singapore in the next few weeks so will have civilisation for a while!

Not in the oil and gas industry, but even with the downturn wouldn't mind being involved in it. I'm a business consultant (Jack of all trades/chancer) mostly involved in setting up new companies or territories or turning around problematic sites usually in developing regions (hence all the traveling around, mostly in shit locations).

Originally from the backwaters of Lanarkshire and into Larkhall during my first marriage. So really, all these arse end countries are a walk in the park. :-)

I should add, in a country where you can buy a vote for 200php (circa £3) or a t-shirt and have regular shoot outs at the polling stations (6 opposition party members to Duterte murdered the morning of the election in the area I used to live) there is little wonder it can't drag itself from the dark ages.

10 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Originally from the backwaters of Lanarkshire and into Larkhall during my first marriage. So really, all these arse end countries are a walk in the park. :-)

So that'll be Plains or Longriggend then ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Singapore.  Is the Mrs going too?

No your off in the wrong direction. Not too far from Larkhall but enough to be in the wilderness. Within the 'orange triangle'

Always travelled in and out of Singapore for the last 10 years on business (couple of days at a time). Spent 5 months there at the beginning of the year and it was fine. First time in 7 years I lived in a house with hot water and the first time in 5 I had a shower unit in the house. So all luxury. The wife should be coming with me, but her visa is taking a little longer and should be finalised by the end of the month. The main reason I'm heading there is she is 7 months pregnant and the hospitals are considerbly better there than in Jakarta and a better place to have a child all round. If for any reason she can't get the visa then it may be plan B whatever the he'll that is! There appears less and less western companies looking for development in the region

Well, that was interesting reading.

It would be a two week honeymoon away from the kids in a nice tropialesque retreat. Not interested in seeing any other part of the Phillipines.

Any recommendations for a Island retreat then?

Well, that was interesting reading.

It would be a two week honeymoon away from the kids in a nice tropialesque retreat. Not interested in seeing any other part of the Phillipines.

Any recommendations for a Island retreat then?

Palawan would certainly be a considerbly better place to go in the Philippines than many others, but it's still part of the Philippines and the Philippines is a difficult and painful place to be. Maybe for a holiday where you may be happy to right off 'misshaps' and 'miss fortune' but I'd avoid it like the plague for a honeymoon. The political situation right now is also really precarious.

Another factor to consider for the Philippines is the time of year you would plan to go, the country does get hit by an astounding amount of typhoons, usually above 20 per season.

Maybe Phu Quoc island (Vietnam), Maldives, I'm not a big fan of Bali (Ibiza for Aussies) but I'm sure between Bali and Lombok there are some good retreats. Seram Island, Karimunjawa Island, Kura Kura, etc (all Indonesia).

I'm sure there are some good island resorts in Thailand.

There was chat recently that Indonesia were looking to ban alcohol but I can't see anything coming of it tbh.

Currently any alcohol ban is a local authority decision. Where I live it's banned and I need to travel an hour to buy any, and even then from a specially licenced store. It's highly unlikely tourist areas would implement the ban as it would cripple their industry so doubt it would be much to be concerned about for tourists.

Archived