Ayr United v Greenock Morton

Just now, callum-ayr said:

:lol:

I do understand it can be very frustrating watching a losing team and I myself have shouted at players before/will again no doubt.  However, to give someone that level of abuse and to be horrified when they react is just stupid.

I don't mind a player/manager reacting, I'll happily go nose to nose if I think they're hiding/sauntering about.

It's actually been a wee while since I had a pop at a player for the above.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ayrmad said:

I don't mind a player/manager reacting, I'll happily go nose to nose if I think they're hiding/sauntering about.

It's actually been a wee while since I had a pop at a player for the above.

At least with a reaction like that you can see they actually care and are not happy with the situation.  Bet you the folk badgering him would be the first to hang out the back of him if he scored a winner in the Renfrew derby.

Also seen him getting stick from Morton fans because he's a Celtic fan :lol: 

Played fairly well yesterday, got drawn in to a bit of head tennis and booting the ball between the center halfs for most of the first half but both teams tried to play football in the second half. Doc is back to his best, Gilmour was on an off game, Harkins and Forrest play well together but need Moore or O'Connell up front with them, I think Thomas and Nesbit are too willing to drop deep, 3-4 times yesterday Harkins or Forrest got the ball in the Morton half and the closest player to them was 30 yards behind them.

Morton looked like they had zero confidence, center halfs booting the ball up in the air, Forbes aside, the midfield got rid of the ball as quick as it could, the 2 up front, one isn't a footballer and Quitongos son, who looks a decent enough prospect needs experience either just behind him or up front beside him. 

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

I'm aware of Duffy's comments and I would like to hear the Chairman or one of the board directors back that claim up. Who knows if Duffy went to the chairman to recommend a player only to be told we can't afford him? 

If the Chairman comes out and says Duffy didn't use the full budget available then yes, Duffy will pay the ultimate price of failure. I've never known a manager who won't fully utilize a budget that's why I'm so skeptical.

In the players we did sign I would say Duffy has failed. I'm not impressed with any of the signings so far.

I've always said Duffy will be judged on his signings after the transfer window closed and I don't blame anyone for having a go at Duffy. Every fan is frustrated including myself as I believe we are in deep trouble.

We are now relying on last years development squad players to save our season. Yesterday we brought on development player Orr up against the vastly experienced Balatoni. That's our problem right there, summed  in that one substitution alone. 

Unless our young players suddenly show they are capable or Duffy brings in quality using the emergency loan or similar then we are well and truly fucked! 

The proof about the budget will come out with whatever happens to Duffy. If he isn't sacked in the next few days that's surely confirmation of the board holding up their hands.

The emergency loan system has changed this season, as far as I'm aware. The only players we can sign before January are out of contract players.

14 hours ago, IainMorton said:

The problem is the club has no ambition. In 2013 and to a lesser extent last season, we looked like we could be going somewhere but Rae doesn't want to build on that and instead he cuts the budget and wages which means we end up struggling the next season. It's a succession of poor manager after poor manager with him in charge. We can slag off Duffy all we want, but the owner is the bigger problem and we will go nowhere with him in charge.

Absolutley nailed it.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Right, I'll try the long post again...

Colkitto, you say we've had no comment from anyone at the club about the budget and that's an insult to supporters. This isn't true. We have had a comment from someone at the club. Jim Duffy has explicitly said that he has the option to bring in players but is choosing to 'wait and see', preferring to give the absolutely shite squad of youth players, junior diddies and family members he's assembled further chances to prove themselves.

Despite the literally thousands of faults Duffy has as a manager, one thing he really can't be accused of is not being media savvy; all the time he spends on Clyde 1 and in The Sun pontificating about Brendan Rodgers' tactics makes sure of that. He knows fine well that when he says he's choosing to wait and see people will interpret that as him having the option to sign players and choosing not to.

If he genuinely didn't have any money left, do you really think he would willingly say that he's waiting to see in public for Morton fans to hear, when it makes it clear that our plight this season is 100% his responsibility? If you genuinely believe he doesn't have a budget, then you're saying that he's choosing to say he does to deflect flak from the board and make himself the target when the person responsible for our start to the season unquestionably has to lose their job for it. The logic is absolutely preposterous and you're simply deluding yourself if you think this is the board's fault.

I am a massive critic of the board - they've long outstayed their welcome and need to go as soon as possible - but in this case their only flaw is giving a new contract to Duffy. They've provided him the budget and he's failed to build an adequate squad because he's a shit manager, nothing else.

While Irons is being discussed, I think I'm right in saying you were one of his biggest critics. Fair enough, he absolutely deserved to be sacked when he was. However, Irons was sacked with 3 points from 6 games, and including the previous season's results only 1 win in 10. Duffy has 3 points from 5 games and including the previous season's results 0 wins from 8. How can you justify hounding Irons out then but defending Duffy now?

It's undoubtedly time to go. The weaknesses of the squad will still be an issue, but Duffy clearly isn't capable of grinding out enough points to keep us in touch of 8th - the obvious solution is to see if another manager can.

The obvious solution is not always the realistic solution.

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

*sucks air sharply through teeth*

Maybe an idea to look through the tear-stained utterings from Morton 'supporters' , including yourself, to identify who is 'sucking air sharply through teeth'. I'm just stating the obvious and based on your utter contempt for all that is Morton, I'd say we're pretty much in agreement. 

I'm sure you remember your repeated assertion that part-time teams like Ayr didn't belong among the big teams like Morton. Well, the fact is that your full-time team was second best against a part-time Ayr United team still finding their feet. 

One other thing...I'm very proud of the fact that I still have my teeth at my ripe old age. 

We tried to sign Denny Johnstone, Luca Gasporotto and Declan McManus... clearly there is a budget that stretched further than Caolon McAleer and Gary fucking Oliver.

Duffy should never have got the job in the first place. He did, then should've been sacked after stumbling over the line to win the diddy league. He didn't, and should be sacked now.

Sacked after winning promotion? This guys knows his stuff [emoji122]

6 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Sacked after winning promotion? This guys knows his stuff emoji122.png

Correct never heard such crap.

Duffy has done a decent job for Morton so far and yes not unexpectantly things are now not going as well as the fans would like but you really have to have patience and be careful what you wish for or it could become free fall for you guys if you change manager too soon with no transfer window.

Ayrs chairman wont spend money and never has over and above the budget for the season and we still make a 6 figure loss every year, converted in to soft loans to him and that is at a part time level.

It has annoyed fans over the years that he hasn't invested more but it comes down to how much he is willing to lose every year and how sustainable it is. I am sure it is the same at Morton, Ayr fans in general accept where we are, the chairman is keeping the club afloat but we need more people through the gates and more fundraising if we are to bring in better players, however it sounds like any extra cash at Morton isn't guaranteed to be spent on the team. 

21 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Correct never heard such crap.

Duffy has done a decent job for Morton so far and yes not unexpectantly things are now not going as well as the fans would like but you really have to have patience and be careful what you wish for or it could become free fall for you guys if you change manager too soon with no transfer window.

Stick to your own team m8.

Archived