Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

It's figure one here. https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-and-housing-in-the-uk-experiences-and-impacts/

UK born 17%, non UK born 18%. It must be the case that non UK born residents have been getting access to social housing at a higher rate than the UK born population for a while to level out UK born pensioners.

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What was the shortage in 2017 vs 2018?

I don't know. It's hard to find figures on the number of people who are inadequately housed in the UK.

But if you take into account homelessness, council waiting lists, over crowded homes and adults living with their parents home over the age of 25 it's clearly significant.

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's figure one here. https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-and-housing-in-the-uk-experiences-and-impacts/

UK born 17%, non UK born 18%. It must be the case that non UK born residents have been getting access to social housing at a higher rate than the UK born population for a while to level out UK born pensioners.

Cheers. It would be interesting to find a breakdown for EU versus non-EU immigrants for the purposes of discussing the merits and costs of freedom of movement within the EU.

New figures that reveal the true scale of the housing crisis in England for the first time have been published today by the National Housing Federation – which represents housing associations in England, social landlords to 5 million people – and Crisis, the national charity for homeless people.

The groundbreaking research, conducted by Heriot-Watt University, to be published in full this summer, shows that England’s total housing need backlog has reached four million homes. A new housing settlement is needed to address this shortage, providing a home for everyone who currently needs one, including homeless people, private tenants spending huge amounts on rent, children unable to leave the family home, and even couples delaying having children because they are stuck in unsuitable housing.

https://www.housing.org.uk/press/press-releases/england-short-of-four-million-homes/

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Corbyn could be raising the Lib Dems from the grave, people who see remaining as a priority in England will have nowhere else to go.

Every single person who wants to stop brexit and has no other political beliefs already votes Lib Dem and has the #FBPE tag to prove it.

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Every single person who wants to stop brexit and has no other political beliefs already votes Lib Dem and has the #FBPE tag to prove it.

We'll find out if that's true in 2022 if Corbyn sticks to his "strategy". There's no way he can force an election without bringing a fair number of Tories onboard and the only way he could do that is by listening to Kate Hoey in the Telegraph today and going for a hard brexit (pay wall, only read first para) or getting the Tory remainers to rebel.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Are there any bookies offering odds on the lib dems failing to capitalise in any useful way on anti-brexit sentiment because it would be free money.

The Lib Dems will gain despite themselves if Corbyn sticks to May's red lines, plus.

We'll find out if that's true in 2022 if Corbyn sticks to his "strategy". There's no way he can force an election without bringing a fair number of Tories onboard and the only way he could do that is by listening to Kate Hoey in the Telegraph today and going for a hard brexit (pay wall, only read first para) or getting the Tory remainers to rebel.

Labour only need to convince the DUP.

The Lib Dems will gain despite themselves if Corbyn sticks to May's red lines, plus.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Nope I don't think they will.

What might happen is that the many young people who were enthused by Corbyn will just give up and drift into apathy.  If so it will be a real shame.

Are there no left of centre alternatives to Corbyn within Labour’s ranks?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Corbyn could be raising the Lib Dems from the grave, people who see remaining as a priority in England will have nowhere else to go.

People might talk about tuition fees but for me the most uncomfortable aspect of the Liberal Democrats going into coalition with the Tories was about how comfortable they seemed with the arrangement. 

Nick Clegg sat beside David Cameron, and the rest were just as cosy.  When the Tories blamed the Labour Government for the financial crash, the Liberal Democrats were quite happy to concur.  They reinforced the Tory agenda and gave austerity a legitimacy it did not deserve.

I can easily imagine a lot of Liberal Democrat voters who despised the Tories were horrified.

Now it seems Jeremy Corbyn will play the role of "useful idiot" for the Tory agenda.
For people in England who dither between Labour and Liberal Democrat but are definitely not Tory, I suspect voting Liberal Democrat might seem appealing.

The main problem is the electoral system, FPTP, where the anti-Brexit vote is split leading to a pro-Brexit win.

Ah but that is what we call democracy!

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

People might talk about tuition fees but for me the most uncomfortable aspect of the Liberal Democrats going into coalition with the Tories was about how comfortable they seemed with the arrangement. 

Nick Clegg sat beside David Cameron, and the rest were just as cosy.  When the Tories blamed the Labour Government for the financial crash, the Liberal Democrats were quite happy to concur.  They reinforced the Tory agenda and gave austerity a legitimacy it did not deserve.

I can easily imagine a lot of Liberal Democrat voters who despised the Tories were horrified.

Now it seems Jeremy Corbyn will play the role of "useful idiot" for the Tory agenda.
For people in England who dither between Labour and Liberal Democrat but are definitely not Tory, I suspect voting Liberal Democrat might seem appealing.

The main problem is the electoral system, FPTP, where the anti-Brexit vote is split leading to a pro-Brexit win.

Ah but that is what we call democracy!

Nick Clegg was on the far right of the Lib Dems, but what did it for me was how useless they were at negotiating. That crappy form of PR referendum that even the Lib Dems couldn't be arsed campaigning for. If they'd said tuition fees were a non starter they would have won that as well. Useless amateurs is what put me off them. If I was voting in England and Corbyn keeps on the May plus Brexit waffle I'd vote for them despite that.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

And the wider UK electorate which seems to be shifting towards remain. Inexplicable that Corbyn is unwilling to shift his position on one thing in order to try and get into power and make real change in a number of other areas, and also if unwilling to do that, then to step aside to let someone else further the cause.

Surely one mans disdain for the EU cant be allowed to be the blocker for providing a real alternative to the Tories at the ballot box?

He is the leader of the Labour Party, no one else.  It is his job, and responsibility,  to accept a democratic vote.  

Not opinion polls. Not the concerted voices of a media which has always been against his policies.  And, yes, that mostly also includes the Guardian 

( which among a fairly dismal lot, is my usual fare ).

Secondly...,   it is a political truism that Oppositions do not win elections.., Governments lose them. 

So while the government maintains some kind of cobbled together majority, and has not yet succumbed to a vote of confidence..

the situation, right now, politically ... with Corbyn is exactly as it should be.   

No matter what all the noises offstage might say.

PS    I voted Remain, and shall do again. 

6 minutes ago, beefybake said:

He is the leader of the Labour Party, no one else.  It is his job, and responsibility,  to accept a democratic vote.  

Not opinion polls. Not the concerted voices of a media which has always been against his policies.  And, yes, that mostly also includes the Guardian 

( which among a fairly dismal lot, is my usual fare ).

Secondly...,   it is a political truism that Oppositions do not win elections.., Governments lose them. 

So while the government maintains some kind of cobbled together majority, and has not yet succumbed to a vote of confidence..

the situation, right now, politically ... with Corbyn is exactly as it should be.   

No matter what all the noises offstage might say.

PS    I voted Remain, and shall do again. 

Which democratic vote?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nick Clegg was on the far right of the Lib Dems, but what did it for me was how useless they were at negotiating. That crappy form of PR referendum that even the Lib Dems couldn't be arsed campaigning for. If they'd said tuition fees were a non starter they would have won that as well. Useless amateurs is what put me off them. If I was voting in England and Corbyn keeps on the May plus Brexit waffle I'd vote for them despite that.

Agree with much of that, except, situation is I think unlikely to come to the point where you'll have to hold your nose and vote Lib Dem.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Which democratic vote?

The only one that there has been on Brexit, so far.

And in due course in a future democratic vote , he will of course accept the result of that.

Edited by beefybake

4 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The only one that there has been on Brexit, so far.

And in due course in a future democratic vote , he will of course accept the result of that.

So what was the decision of the people on Brexit; WTO rules, May’s proposal, Norway+, something else?

The first three options alone are significantly different from each other.

Anyone who claims that Leave meant any one specific thing and that they are respecting that result is talking nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So what was the decision of the people on Brexit; WTO rules, May’s proposal, Norway+, something else?

The first three options alone are significantly different from each other.

Anyone who claims that Leave meant any one specific thing and that they are respecting that result is talking nonsense.

If a 2nd vote return at remain vote, can you guarentee there won't be a EU Fiscal union or a pan European army?