Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

As a nation, are we not eating more fish/seafood than we've ever done? A health conscious alternative to red meat, the choice you have in your local supermarket is much wider than a generation ago!?

I had a look and it seems prices have risen consumption has fallen when measured by weight but risen in terms of cost since the start of the century.

http://www.mseproject.net/data-sources/doc_download/148-8-how-much-seafood-do-we-consume-in-the-uk

I had a look and it seems prices have risen consumption has fallen when measured by weight but risen in terms of cost since the start of the century.
http://www.mseproject.net/data-sources/doc_download/148-8-how-much-seafood-do-we-consume-in-the-uk

Interesting stuff, much more competition on the High St for the good old British Chippy too I guess these days!?

13 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

House of Lords spokesman saying grave danger UK fishing will lose access to European markets.

Karma?

So the Remoaners in the Lords are upset that Britain will exit the Common Fisheries Policy which has had a disastrous impact on our fish stocks and fleets! There are many reasons why the fishing towns voted decisively to leave the EU.  

If the EU denies the UK fishing fleet access to its markets, we can deny EU fishermen access to our waters. I doubt that happen because a lot of Britain's best and most expensive fish ends up in the Michelin starred restaurants of Brussels and Paris. 

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So the Remoaners in the Lords are upset that Britain will exit the Common Fisheries Policy which has had a disastrous impact on our fish stocks and fleets! There are many reasons why the fishing towns voted decisively to leave the EU.  

If the EU denies the UK fishing fleet access to its markets, we can deny EU fishermen access to our waters. I doubt that happen because a lot of Britain's best and most expensive fish ends up in the Michelin starred restaurants of Brussels and Paris. 

"Remoaners". Grow a brain, an opinion, a sense of individuality. Please, for the sake of your kids.

11 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Interesting stuff, much more competition on the High St for the good old British Chippy too I guess these days!?

I know Napoleon described us as a nation of shopkeepers but there are surely more important things to consider than chip shops?

Combined marine fish, freshwater fish and total aquaculture contribute 0.01 % to the UK economy.

It's totally irrelevant except to the few who work in it and certainly not something we should base any economic decisions on.

If UK fishermen want to continue to sell to Europe they will have to accept the price they are offered.

I know Napoleon described us as a nation of shopkeepers but there are surely more important things to consider than chip shops?

Aye, but you can't beat a good Chippy though Williea!
Seen a page that claims 25% of our Fish consumption is purchased on a Friday, what's all that aboot!? [emoji6]

3 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Combined marine fish, freshwater fish and total aquaculture contribute 0.01 % to the UK economy.

It's totally irrelevant except to the few who work in it and certainly not something we should base any economic decisions on.

If UK fishermen want to continue to sell to Europe they will have to accept the price they are offered.

It's so small because the fish stocks and fishing industry have shrunk dramatically due to the Common Fisheries Policy. A lot of fish that is caught in our waters goes direct to other ports in EU states.

If you think it's irrelevant, ask those who live in fishing ports where the fleets are over 90% smaller than they were when we joined the Common Market. The adverse impact on the local communities has been huge and that's why they voted for Brexit. 

On 16/12/2016 at 19:28, John Lambies Doos said:

Imagine calling yourself Scottish and not wanting to control your own country.
Imagine letting your neighbours make all the decisions. Unbelievable shitebaggery

Imagine calling yourself Scottish and wanting to the EU control your own country.
Imagine letting Brussels make most of the key decisions. Unbelievable shitebaggery.

14 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

But, German cars Michelin Starred Restaurants. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Imagine calling yourself Scottish and wanting to the EU control your own country.
Imagine letting Brussels make most of the key decisions. Unbelievable shitebaggery.

Only an idiot would think that the EU makes most of the key decisions for its member countries.

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's so small because the fish stocks and fishing industry have shrunk dramatically due to the Common Fisheries Policy. A lot of fish that is caught in our waters goes direct to other ports in EU states.

If you think it's irrelevant, ask those who live in fishing ports where the fleets are over 90% smaller than they were when we joined the Common Market. The adverse impact on the local communities has been huge and that's why they voted for Brexit. 

So! Before the EU fishing accounted for 0.09% , 0.1% to be generous of the economy.

Bravo!