Murder of Becky Goddard

Adam

Haven't been following this one but if the guy was denied a solicitor then it's very serious.

There are lots of people who have problems and will confess to crimes or be lead into doing so without a solicitor.

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work? Surely even if you confess to something, no matter how horrific then you should still be allowed some form legal representation? On what grounds can they deny you a solicitor?

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work? Surely even if you confess to something, no matter how horrific then you should still be allowed some form legal representation? On what grounds can they deny you a solicitor?

I don't know the details of this case but I assume they'd have questioned the suspect without allowing him access to a lawyer, or giving him enough time. I think the Cadder ruling was on something similar in Scotland, but I don't really know the details, I'm sure others on here will.

Thanks for the replies, well, kind of. I'll need to read up on this Cadder ruling clearly. I just found the whole situation about no legal representation bizarre really.

It's not just the police that bungle things on occasion.

I can mind some years ago reading about a guy who had been detained and charged with breaking into a jewellers shop. He was given an application form for legal aid to fill in. One of the questions on the form requested names and addresses of any person or persons accused with you.

He obligingly wrote down the names of his accomplices who, up until that point, were unknown to the investigating police officers!

It's not just the police that bungle things on occasion.

I can mind some years ago reading about a guy who had been detained and charged with breaking into a jewellers shop. He was given an application form for legal aid to fill in. One of the questions on the form requested names and addresses of any person or persons accused with you.

He obligingly wrote down the names of his accomplices who, up until that point, were unknown to the investigating police officers!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived