Motherwell vs Hamilton Academical - 17th September 2016

That's the first time I've seen or heard of a Motherwell player scoring four goals in a match. What a man Louis Moult is!

I'd take Crawford at Fir Park . He always seems to up his game against us.

Very decent game and we could have thrown it away after that whirlwind start had Accies taken their chances.

Steve Kirk did it against St Mirren years ago but its a joy to see someone else do it.
Watching him run in for his header pointing exactly where he wanted it was different class.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our full backs, particularly Gillespie got absolutely roasted in the 1st 15-20 mins. I don't think they managed to stop the ball once getting into the box.  I thought Motherwell's 2nd goal should have been chopped off for a push by Moult as the ball came in, but our defence was all over the place. As soon as we got a goal back we began to take the game to them and they were happy to sit in and soak up any pressure. Crawford unlucky with his freekick off the post. The penalty early in the 2nd half was a real sucker punch and killed the game off but to be fair we kept plugging away and created chances and had two cleared off the line. The lad Bingham made a big difference when he came on and laid on a good ball for Crawford's 2nd. Brophy should have done alot better with his header. We looked much more solid when Donati was moved to defence and we switched to a 3-5-2. A deserved win for Motherwell in the end after our 1st 15-20 minute shambles but we created enough chances that on another day might have took something from.

Can only agree with what's been said. Moult is an absolute legend. I will be very sad when he leaves.

Cadden was brilliant down the right. The experience of battling against Imrie will stand him in good stead.

And I'm been very impressed with big Clay. He just seems to be everywhere on the park, blocking passes and starting off moves. A great addition to the side.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We've looked dangerous going forward in most games I've seen this season. Our defence is a shambles most weeks though. As much as I don't rate Gillespie as a player, it's unfair on him to move him to full back when he's clearly uncomfortable there. Lyon is a passenger as well. Shocking lack of effort at the headed goal.

In short, sort out the full back situation or we are truly fucked.

Have to agree. Gillespie is being hung out to dry being asked to play there. He's like a fish out of water at times.

Steve Kirk did it against St Mirren years ago but its a joy to see someone else do it.
Watching him run in for his header pointing exactly where he wanted it was different class.

Cheers mjw. You replied to pretty much that question that I posted on steelmen online as well - asking who the last player was.

BTW, that banner was pretty funny I have to admit. Made me chuckle.

All that effort and songs about us kind of flies in the face of the 'we don't care about cuddly wee Accies' though [emoji6]

What did the banner say?

I noticed some of the weans in the cooper had one about the city being ours :lol:

43 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

With kirk being the last to score four, my old man was wondering if any statto could answer if Bobby Campbell was the last to score five?

Vic Davidson got five against Alloa in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1977, a 7-0 win.

Any neutral at today's match must have been enthralled by it...there was always something happening, end-to-end, 100mph stuff, 6 goals, some hefty challenges and a wee w****r playing leftmid for the visitors.

First word on Ali Crawford, unlike most Motherwell fans, I've actually seen a fair bit of this boy having taken a load of cuddly, wee Accies games in over the years and for me he has always stuck out like a sore thumb, I've never seen him hiding...the fact that the Accies fans don't fully appreciate him, says more about their inability to understand football than anything else. The boy is quality, in an otherwise awful team and I'd take him at Fir Park in a heartbeat.

As others have said, that 1st half hour was reminiscent of the stuff we seen from McGhees team during his first tenure, we were unplayable all over the park, first to every ball and made Accies look like the Junior team that their stature implies...Bowman was terrific and the big haddy with the beard couldn't get near him, but by f**k we've missed Louis Moult, the lad had the ball in the net 4 times in 20 minutes, his movement was fantastic....Cadden, Clay, Lasley and Skippy backed these 2 up well.

But, as with McGhees team of 2007, we seemed to either take our foot of the pedal, run out of gas or more probably, Accies changed their system and kind of got their shit together and the remainder of the match was much more nervy than it should have been, with Accies having some very decent opportunities and us also carving out some decent moves too, though I was a tad puzzled by McGhee not taking the opportunity to break up play by using his subs, particularly when the like of Skippy and Bowman were clearly shagged. As I said, it must have been a smashing match for any neutral to view.

Last word on the son of a mattress...I'm not one to get raging at a player who gives some verbals back, or even flicks the fingers at a crowd of punters who have berated him time and again, with a few obscene chants that are particularly personal, and I've always had an admiration for Imrie, both as a player ( there was a time when I'd have taken him at FP) and as a guy that seemed to revel in his villain status at Motherwell, even though it's probably started due to him being a relative local and some fans of ours having known him as a kid etc, but today he let himself down badly...he was having some verbals with some boys at the front of the East Stand, Cooper end, and when his opportunity came, he fired the ball full force into the area that the lads were sitting. The ball never hit anyone, but struck and broke a seat next to a young girl who looked about 4 or 5. He knew what he was doing and his actions were an absolute disgrace for a seasoned professional and a coach of youngsters, I'd like to think someone at Accies will be having a word in his ear about his conduct.

Archived