Changing football teams

alot of good wee stories in hear,strange that the school fans went to decided what team you supported at a early age,growing up in the eastend of Glasgow and being born 9 months after Celtic won the European cup my fate was sealed it is in my blood,i didn't go to a Catholic school so there was no peer pressure,but instead of learning how to read and write and do sums fighting was always the lesson as i was the only Celtic fan in my years,one of my mates was the opposite his family were all rangers men and woman but he rebelled against that and became an Aberdeen fan probably to piss his dad off,later he fell out with Scottish footie and started going to Carlisle games which strangely play in red white and blue but still hates talking Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

What's the view if somebody moves to a new town.

For example, if a St Johnstone fan moves from Perth to Kilmarnock - should they start supporting Kilmarnock or continue with St Johnstone?

Your team will be your team no matter what. I did however go to Mallorca games while staying there for a bit. Also went to Sunderland games in the late 80s early 90s as well but the first result I looked for and always will no matter where on the planet I am is St Johnstone. 

On 14/10/2016 at 13:45, 2pac said:

When I was about ten around 93 I used to pretend to support rangers to piss off my old man also had a soft spot for airdrie when they used to get to cup finals

Now, both Clubs are deceased. 

Whit a shame. 

If it's a different league, different level whatever, you can have as many teams as you like, if you go to or have been to their games. My da lived in Fife, Aberdeen, Norwich and Manchester, and went to games at all these places. Don't see there's much wrong with forming a bit of an allegiance. His team is Aberdeen though, no doubt about that.

I tried to change teams to Dumbarton and started to go to their home games for the 2011/12 season and luckily watched them win promotion.

My daughter (child number 1) was born in 2009 and it got me a little confused as to whether I wanted my children involved with the crap that goes along with being a Celtic supporter. When Neil Lennon took over Celtic I refused to go to Celtic park while he was in charge.

As much as I tried during a successful season I just couldn't feel the same passion and love and eventually stopped going. Tried out Thistle and lasted one afternoon.

I was a Celtic fan from the day I was born due to my old man and no matter how much I tried to get out I just couldn't.

Neither of my two kids have ever worn a Celtic top yet and still undecided what way I want them to go.

11 hours ago, Tartantony said:

I tried to change teams to Dumbarton and started to go to their home games for the 2011/12 season and luckily watched them win promotion.

My daughter (child number 1) was born in 2009 and it got me a little confused as to whether I wanted my children involved with the crap that goes along with being a Celtic supporter. When Neil Lennon took over Celtic I refused to go to Celtic park while he was in charge.

As much as I tried during a successful season I just couldn't feel the same passion and love and eventually stopped going. Tried out Thistle and lasted one afternoon.

I was a Celtic fan from the day I was born due to my old man and no matter how much I tried to get out I just couldn't.

Neither of my two kids have ever worn a Celtic top yet and still undecided what way I want them to go.

Well at least you recognise that there's something intrinsically wrong about supporting an OF club.  This constitutes a start.  I appreciate your own internal struggle to break away, but at least do the decent thing and steer your own kids away, so they're not later saddled with the same struggle.

Of course it's possible to develop an affection for another club, especially if they become local to you.  Your club is your club though and switching is only acceptable when it involves ditching the OF.

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well at least you recognise that there's something intrinsically wrong about supporting an OF club.  This constitutes a start.  I appreciate your own internal struggle to break away, but at least do the decent thing and steer your own kids away, so they're not later saddled with the same struggle.

Of course it's possible to develop an affection for another club, especially if they become local to you.  Your club is your club though and switching is only acceptable when it involves ditching the OF.

your hatred for both arse cheeks is worse than the bile that follows the Glasgow clubs,every club has them you are the example of that?

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:40, RangersRyan084 said:

Had a weird liking of Hearts until around the age of eight, then I started going to games with my dad at Ibrox and have been returning every second weekend since.

Even during the close season? That's dedication!

Aberdeen are my team ever since being taken to Pittodrie in 1963. (My father took me to Glebe Park once in the late 50s, I don't remember anything about it.)

Used to watch Elgin City in the Highland League when my parents moved there and I was visiting. Still follow their results.

When I moved over here started going to Coleraine home and away, although it's a long time since I was at a match.

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

your hatred for both arse cheeks is worse than the bile that follows the Glasgow clubs,every club has them you are the example of that?

Really?

My twittering away on here is worse than the bile that follows the Glasgow clubs?

Really?  Worse than the sectarian singing, the violence and the anti-social behaviour that you surely refer to when you mention bile?

Gosh, I'd no idea my little prattlings had such destructive power.  Thanks for telling me though - I intend to tone it all down forthwith.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Really?

My twittering away on here is worse than the bile that follows the Glasgow clubs?

Really?  Worse than the sectarian singing, the violence and the anti-social behaviour that you surely refer to when you mention bile?

Gosh, I'd no idea my little prattlings had such destructive power.  Thanks for telling me though - I intend to tone it all down forthwith.

Ramp it up - that's what they would do.

Really?

You're Scotland's shame monkey

Guy I knew from school started going to Livi games a couple years ago. This was the season Hearts ruined 'The Journey'.

Conveniently he disappeared when Rangers started winning again and posts a load of Rangers shite on Facebook. 

Utter roaster. 

I was brought up in the sticks in 80's Ayrshire where everyone in my primary school was a Rangers fan. My cousin would take me to Ibrox when I was 7-8 and buy me all the gear. Bed spread, shirts posters etc. I had a bigot of an uncle who used to teach me all the 'party songs' that I used to sing because I had no understanding of what it was I was singing about. This got me in trouble a couple of times and I feel utterly ashamed and embarrassed for this now even though I had no idea what I was doing at the time. 

By the time I went to the 'big school' my cousin had left the country and I kind of lost interest in club football for a while until I moved to Glasgow. 

Thats really when it hit home what the f**k was going on with the Old Firm and what those songs meant and everything that went with it. I'd seen and heard these things before but living amongst it and understanding was an eye opener. 

I moved to near Great Western Rd just a few minutes walk from Firhill and one match day I saw a bunch of Jags fans walk by my window going to the game. I went along on a whim and really enjoyed the experience of being in that crowd that day. It was completely different to the bile and hatred I'd witnessed at ibrox years before  

That was about 20years ago and I've been proud supporter of Thistle ever since. 

I worked with an Aberdonian guy who was a 'Rangers' fan 4 years ago. Raved on about them, how they were going to pump the sheep etc etc. They went bust, and he decided to support Aberdeen. He'll post Aberdeen statuses on Facebook and the like, and doesn't hesitate to slag off the '****' etc. When you remind him he was also a ***, he deletes your comment. On the rare occasion that I have seen him in person and jovially brought it up, he has failed to give me a valid reason so f**k knows what it's all about. He was in his early twenties at the time though so it's inexcusable, even though he switched to my team.