Gow Unfairly treated by the SJFA

Wags9

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, montherovers said:

I've had a look at the Laws of the game and the International Boards guidance for referees and from this I dont think the game should be replayed. 

The Laws say that the referee is the timekeeper and that all his decisions regarding the facts of the match are final. So if the ref says time is up then time is up even if everyone knows 45 minutes haven't been played. The Laws also state that a referee may change a decision he realises was incorrect unless he has already restarted the game or the match has ended. Neilston were probably right not to come back out as the ref was in the wrong to try to restart a game he has called full time on.

The only bit in the referees guidance I think is relevant is that the referee cannot compensate for a timekeeping error in the first half by altering the duration of the second half. So if he only played 36 minutes in the first half there would still only be 45 in the second giving a total of 81 the same as in this game. This must constitute a valid game otherwise it should say that as soon as a referee realises he didn't play the full 45 mins in the first half the game should be abandoned because the losing team is going to want it replayed anyway.

Unless the association has a bye law dealing with this specific situation I think the Laws suggest the result should stand.

That would be my take on it, the referee is the timekeeper and when he says the game is finished, it's finished.

A mistake has been made, but the result should stand. The only compromise would be that the remaining 9 minutes is played.

To order a replay appears to be a little farcical.

The problem is we dnt no huw long was left do we jist guess? In the refs report he has a neilston sub coming on in the 83rd min but that player came on in the 55th min this player was also booked and the ref never had it in his report

huw can he say 83rd min wen he came to dressing room and said he made mistake and stopped the  game AROUND 10 mins early

no matter the outcome some one will be upset

30 minutes ago, combineharvester said:

The problem is we dnt no huw long was left do we jist guess? In the refs report he has a neilston sub coming on in the 83rd min but that player came on in the 55th min this player was also booked and the ref never had it in his report

huw can he say 83rd min wen he came to dressing room and said he made mistake and stopped the  game AROUND 10 mins early

no matter the outcome some one will be upset

Oh well that settles the guff about no ref's report

And the Neilston bench were first to tell the referee he was 9 minutes early and continued to argue with him, telling him on at least three separate occasions that his timings were wrong.  He was given plenty of opportunity to realise that as it was only 3.32pm, it couldn't possibly be full time! 

Due to the raised awareness of timing issues The Fan stood next to me at the Buffs v. Arthurlie Cup game timed the match on his iPhone.   Kick-off 2:29pm and end of first half blown at 3:15pm.  However, the interval lasted almost 20 minutes with the restart timed at 3:35pm and the final whistle blown at 4:15pm thus the second half was of 40 minutes duration.   The score was 0-0.  There will be a replay.  There were no protests about the short time except by the time-conscious fan and his 2 friends who shouted at the referee from a distance of 50 yards but failed to attract his attention.  

Archived