Berwick v Arbroath

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Same starting XI with firepower in Prunty/Skelly/Hester to come on if required, we now have a decent bench that can change a game.

What happened to the "firepower", we better start getting the finger out

1 hour ago, speckyboy said:

What happened to the "firepower", we better start getting the finger out

Skelly must have been injured but Prunty only came on in 84 mins and Hester in 72 mins.

I have always been a believer if you are pushing to win a game you should be bringing on fresh strikers with at least 30 mins to go to give them a chance to get into a game.

Great 1st half, really looked so comfortable, the goal right at the start of the second half really fucked it

Gomes - Superb when called upon

Gold - never put a foot wrong, great goal
Little - solid as ever although him and hammy caught out with a few long balls
Hammy - as above
Phillips - decent enough, had moments but faded away second half

Linn - pretty quiet but decent enough
Whatley - ok
McCord - great at times and controlled it but gave away free kick for goal when maybe shouldn't have, could've been bit more clever there but maybe harsh
Omar - I like him, I'm a fan, but terrible second half the day, thought he was good in the first

Jimmy - really good 1st half, some class touches but missed a great opportunity in the second half
Doris - 7/10

Overall after the 1st half I would've been gutted to draw but by the end point was just about fair, it's frustrating but still only 1 loss in 10, I don't think that draw can really go into the category of should've won but a lot of the other draws we have had can so that's a reason to be positive as surely we will start winning more of these draws in the future

regarding this issue about firepower. strikers can only react to the bullets supplied to them.no1 so lets check out supply train , no 1 omar coudnt cross the road .mcord cant see a forward run then it goes sidways.whateley WTf why is he still in the team. bobby poor today . scott is not a striker get whatley out of midfield get scott back in there. get a striker to support doris.

Took a while to get going today but a decent reaction after last week's fiasco.

Not sure why Jonny got so miffed at the end - there was decent applause after a good second half. My understanding is
that any negative shouts actually came from Arbroath fans.

Thought Thomson was superb and Lavery ran further than the entire team last week. Good effort Lav - now just find your shooting boots!

regarding this issue about firepower. strikers can only react to the bullets supplied to them.no1 so lets check out supply train , no 1 omar coudnt cross the road .mcord cant see a forward run then it goes sidways.whateley WTf why is he still in the team. bobby poor today . scott is not a striker get whatley out of midfield get scott back in there. get a striker to support doris.

Omar put a few good crosses in today, one brilliant one that needed someone on the end of it, hopeless second half though. Scott has also done very well in the 10 role. 'McCord can't see a forward pass' is just :lol: nothing wrong with Whatley or Bobbys performance they weren't great but they weren't bad either.

30 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Not sure why Jonny got so miffed at the end - there was decent applause after a good second half. My understanding is
that any negative shouts actually came from Arbroath fans.

This was tremendous. Fortunately there was several other Arbroath fans on hand to 'explain' to Jonny that it was the away support who had been giving him pelters :lol:

I thought first half we strolled in, well in control and David Gold absolutely running the game. Second half we were poor, struggled to put 3 passes together and although we didn't collapse as such the early goal in the second half seemed to do us mentally and after putting our foot on the ball and playing it about suddenly no-one wanted the ball, no-one was showing up top and the midfield just want to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Yet again I disagreed with the changes Dick made; in the 25ish games he's been in charge I can't think of a single game where I feel he has made a positive change which has resulted in a positive result, whereas I can easily pick half a dozen where I feel the changes we've made have had a negative inpact on the outcome. Omar is a classic 'on his day' player; when he's on form he can destroy a full back, but when it's not his game the management need to see the situation and change things up. I'm fine with us starting Omar, but i'm not okay with giving him 90 minutes when the game doesn't suit him. Going into the last 15 minutes today we were struggling and we needed to keep the ball and have a target up top to hit and feed off, and we made a change that did the exact opposite. It's not a slur on Kane, he did well, but tactically you can't ask Kane to do the job of Stevie Doris, they're two completely different players. Yet again I'm frustrated because I firmly believe Dick has assembled the best squad in the division, but has not been able to utilise them properly and we've dropped points.

Overall first half - superb. One of the best 45s we've played this season, well on top and controlling it. Second half - poor. Berwick controlled it and ultimately a draw was a fair result.

Twice we've played Berwick and twice we've been ahead and controlling it before dropping two points. No disrepect to Berwick, but if we have aspirations of being right up the top end then these are the sort of games we should be winning.

A few of them turned round with disgusted looks on their faces thinking Berwick fans had shouted "that was shite" or something at them. It was however from the Arbroath fans who had infiltrated the home end.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157672282308263

Same result as the opening game of the season, with Thomson scoring against us again.

Great opening 45 minutes, but a bit flat in the second half.  David Gold our best player, especially in the first half.  Ricky Gomes also had a fantastic game.  

IMG_0832 copy.jpg

totally agree simon regarding dc inabillity to make the right subs at the right time.

What would you have done then?

Only thing I disagreed with was taking Linn off instead of Omar.

Doris had faded in the second half and hadn't done anything, Scott was doing well to bring midfielders into the game but there was never a through ball on. Hester gave us that option. Not sure why he has to be the same sort of player or be able to do the same job to get on for Doris anyway. He's no the same as any of the 2 that were uptop does that just mean he shouldn't get on?

Archived