Berwick v Arbroath

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2016 at 01:57, 1320Lichtie said:

What would you have done then?

Only thing I disagreed with was taking Linn off instead of Omar.

Doris had faded in the second half and hadn't done anything, Scott was doing well to bring midfielders into the game but there was never a through ball on. Hester gave us that option. Not sure why he has to be the same sort of player or be able to do the same job to get on for Doris anyway. He's no the same as any of the 2 that were uptop does that just mean he shouldn't get on?

When we're struggling to keep the ball and get up the park taking off the one player who has the ability to hold it up and knock it left/ right to the wings is a poor choice in my opinion. I agree that Kane is the type of player to give us an option for through balls/ a ball over the top, but there wasn't a single occasion where this type of ball was played for him in the time he was on the park. If the choice was going to be bringing on Kane, taking off Jimmy Scott would've been a far better option in my opinion so we had one striker who could hold it up and play in a target role and one who could do the running and play off his flick ons and through balls from the midfield. Gavin Malin was superb when he came on against Forfar, and I would definitely have given him 15/ 20 minutes considering how the second half was going, and as pointed out I'd never have given Omar the 90.

As the forum was down last night we've lost a few posts unfortunately, one of which was by Smokerson making the quite incredible accusation that anyone disagreeing with Dick's substitutions is simply moaning for the sake of it. I'd like to know his opinion of our subs yesterday and how they effected the game?

We've also lost a post from Lichtie78 which pointed out that despite it still being October we've lost/ drawn games 7 times after being in a winning position so far. In my opinion, our game management is the thing that has let us down most this season, with some poor subs and tactical decisions in the second half of what is beginning to seem like a majority of our games.

We have drawn 6 of our 10 league games so far; and in 5 of those 6 we've been ahead and on top before crumbling and ending up drawing. We were also ahead against Clyde before losing the game. Basically, in a majority of our league games we have dropped points after being in a winning position and being on top. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on why this is, especially those who seem to think that anyone who dares question these facts is simply moaning for the sake of it?!

Look I don't think you're moaning for the sake of it, but to me the logical decision was Doris, he was fucked and Jimmy was doing a lot more than him. Same with the other 2, although Omar instead of Linn.

Also conveniently forgetting that we lost the goal long before any subs were made.... As we did in the last Berwick game.

Montrose we were down to 10 and Clyde I don't see how you can blame the subs for the 3rd goal that was lost? It was our 2 most reliable players having a f**k up. The other 3 draws were Edinburgh, again we were both infront and came back from behind.. And a 0-0, a 1-1 v Annan where we came from behind....

So it's really only happened three times. Twice before any subs were even made.

To be perfectly honest Simon I genuinely personally think you're being a bit crazy here with this logic of yours. ;)

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be perfectly honest Simon I genuinely personally think you're being a bit crazy here with this logic of yours. ;)

We have played 10 league games. We have gone in front in 9 out of the 10 we've played, and drawn the other 0-0. In 6 of the 9 we've gone in front, we've ended up drawing or losing. These are facts - I've no issue with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, this is a football forum where fans discuss and give their opinion after all, but it is literally impossible to argue with the facts I've just mentioned there - it'd be a bit crazy too really ;)

My point isn't just about the subs we've made, it's also about game management. In several of these games we've taken the lead and then sat back and invited pressure onto ourselves and ended up conceding instead of continuing to play the way we were which saw us on top and in front. In several others it's been blatantly obvious, in my opinion, that we've begun to struggle and needed to freshen things up and change things tactically to try and get back in control of the game. We've waited until we've lost a goal until doing so, which is very frustrating to watch.

In my opinion the majority of the time you're controlling a game and winning you should be able to get the 3 points. Currently, in the majority of games we've been in control and winning we've ended up dropping points. It's all well and good having a strong squad (which we do, a very strong squad for this division) but if we don't utilise them properly then it means nothing.

Out of the 6 draws we've got, if we'd won 3 and lost 3 we'd be in a better position. I'd also fully subscribe to the 'hard to beat' line people have been saying in recent weeks if we were coming from behind to grab draws. It's actually the opposite - in the majority of our drawn games we've dropped 2 points as opposed to picking up 1 considering the position we've been in.

I don't think we're far away at all, we have an excellent squad and in most games this season we've been in control for a decent chunk of the game. That's why it's becoming immensely frustrating watching us - the problem seems to be that time and time again in the second half we throw the game and 2 points away from a winning position.

Time and time again throwing results away from a winning position...

Berwick
Montrose
Edinburgh
Berwick

Don't get it

We never went infront against Annan/Clyde/Cowden and went infront against Forfar/Stirling and Elgin and won??? How are you getting to 9/10?

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We never went infront against Annan/Clyde/Cowden and went infront against Forfar/Stirling and Elgin and won??? How are you getting to 9/10?

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

We have played 10 league games. We have gone in front in 9 out of the 10 we've played, and drawn the other 0-0. In 6 of the 9 we've gone in front, we've ended up drawing or losing.

My mistake - you're correct we didn't go in front against Annan or Clyde - so it's only 7 out of 10 played in the league that we've been ahead. I'm happy enough to admit my mistake and substitute out these games and replace one of them with the East Fife game in the cup, where we went ahead with 5 minutes to go, decided to go ludicrously defensive and we threw the game away. ;)

This isn't new. The vast majority of Forfar fans were left frustrated by Dick's odd subs and tactical changes during matches - I believe his 'tinkerman' nickname is due to that and not his Lochgelly routes ;). We were well warned of this when Dick was appointed - I just didn't realise how frustrating it was going to be :lol::( He's built a great squad of players, I wouldn't trade them for any other squad in the division. That being the case, we're quite clearly under performing so far and we then need to look at what's going wrong, and where the problems lie. I think I've made my feelings on where our problems lie so far quite clear in my previous posts on this thread...

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

We have played 10 league games. We have gone in front in 9 out of the 10 we've played, and drawn the other 0-0. In 6 of the 9 we've gone in front, we've ended up drawing or losing. These are facts - I've no issue with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, this is a football forum where fans discuss and give their opinion after all, but it is literally impossible to argue with the facts I've just mentioned there - it'd be a bit crazy too really ;)

My point isn't just about the subs we've made, it's also about game management. In several of these games we've taken the lead and then sat back and invited pressure onto ourselves and ended up conceding instead of continuing to play the way we were which saw us on top and in front. In several others it's been blatantly obvious, in my opinion, that we've begun to struggle and needed to freshen things up and change things tactically to try and get back in control of the game. We've waited until we've lost a goal until doing so, which is very frustrating to watch.

In my opinion the majority of the time you're controlling a game and winning you should be able to get the 3 points. Currently, in the majority of games we've been in control and winning we've ended up dropping points. It's all well and good having a strong squad (which we do, a very strong squad for this division) but if we don't utilise them properly then it means nothing.

Out of the 6 draws we've got, if we'd won 3 and lost 3 we'd be in a better position. I'd also fully subscribe to the 'hard to beat' line people have been saying in recent weeks if we were coming from behind to grab draws. It's actually the opposite - in the majority of our drawn games we've dropped 2 points as opposed to picking up 1 considering the position we've been in.

I don't think we're far away at all, we have an excellent squad and in most games this season we've been in control for a decent chunk of the game. That's why it's becoming immensely frustrating watching us - the problem seems to be that time and time again in the second half we throw the game and 2 points away from a winning position.

Look, you make some good and valid points but you seem to have a real obsession and a bee in your bonnet about substitutions and the way they effect games. Every manager in the world wants to make a game changing tactical switch or the subs to come on and really impact the game. The chances of it happening at this level is very slim, the players are on the bench for a reason (prunty/Callaghan etc) because they have simply not been good enough to warrant a start and are perhaps not doing enough in training.

You can make 3 in every game and invariably its the front two or wide players that come off. That's mainly down to these players tiring or the positions of the subs coming on.

I also don't think we have to quote you "thrown away games", some of them we were fortunate to draw and could've lost.

Maybe the tinkerman nickname comes from doing things like playing Gold at RB...? [emoji6]

Also agree with smokerson, we also could've easily won some of they draws and it was nothing to do with the management team and instead bad finishing... Cowdenbeath and Annan.

Seems extremely far fetched to me. Aye he's made questionable decisions at times but the vast majority you can see the logic behind and are mainly just down to personal opinions. I think taking Bobby off instead of Omar on Saturday was the 1st time I've thought wtf.

against forfar doris won a penalty, scored was playing well scott was having a bad game yet he takes doris of baffling

Scott the guy who scored the second and decisive goal in that game?

Baffling

Eta: from a delivery from the guy who came on for Doris!!!

:lol:

56 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

against forfar doris won a penalty, scored was playing well scott was having a bad game yet he takes doris of baffling

Scott effectively scored the goal that won us the game, are you for real?

I think you can pick holes in all tactical decisions, whether it be formations, starting x11 or subs. This week for instance If I was the manager I would make 1 possibly 2 changes. If he does this he gets called a tinkerman and if he sticks with the same 11 people will be shouting for changes, cant please everyone.

I was expecting a worldie... he ran into empty space, beat Brian Martin and slotted it in.. what's all the hype for ?

You'd need to have a close up camera to watch just how good the wee trick was that had the big diddy falling over himsel, wee step over then a wee drag see you later pal then slots it bottom corner with about 3 boys around him. Doesn't look as good from the main stand I'll give you that ;)

Few cracking runs in the 1st half though, top man Goldie

As everything always lands at the feet of the manager when performances/results/tactics don't go according to plan, I believe at times the players themselves have to stand up & be counted. The manager can only do so much, once the players cross the white line then it's up to them to put in a performance.

Hopefully all the folk that are moaning make it along for Thursday's meeting with the assistant Manager and put their views over??

Still seems to be a few folk "seething" in regards of Lumsden getting punted (the correct decision) and are picking points at every decision DC makes.   

Hopefully all the folk that are moaning make t along for Thursday's meeting with the assistant Ma and put their views over??

Still seems to be a few folk "seething" in regards of Lumsden getting punted (the correct decision) and are picking points at every decision DC makes.   

Can't personally make it but it's great the club are doing this and hope there's a good turnout.

15 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

:lol:

I don't think anyone is anything other than delighted at the fact we have a better manager, and far better squad of players this season than last season. If anyone thinks sacking Todd when we were second bottom of this division and hadn't scored a goal in 4 games was the wrong decision then their name is either Todd Lumsden or Steven Hislop.

Archived