Albion Rovers vs Queen of the South; Scottish Cup 3rd Round; 26th November

RUSTY1111

5 hours ago, JessieField said:

"Lyndon Dykes had an absolute nightmare as did Dobbie - couldn't believe that Dykes was not subbed"

He's "family", Queens are a family club.

I think that dykes thinks he's had his head turned after hearing a couple of clubs are looking a  him.

As for Dobbie he needs to join footballs equivalent to the Harlem globe trotters

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Dobbie's not being used to the best of his ability. He's hardly getting into the box playing where he is and to be fair to him he was rushing back to cover left back at one point when Rivers broke. Dobbie still has pace enough and the control to run in behind the defence at this level something only Hamilton (comedy offside goal) seemed to be able to achieve.

Firstly, well done to Albion Rovers, their attitude and commitment showed they really wanted it. I thought the pitch looked as good as I've ever seen it so no excuses there. Our  Caretaker Manager Jim Thomson will obviously take the brunt of criticism and no doubt be the target for some  snide comments for the defeat but he is quite right in his after-match comments, individual mistakes are costing us dearly. If you pick what is arguably your best starting 11, taking injuries into account, and play them in a formation they are comfortable with, you expect them to do their job, that's the least you should expect. Obviously Thomson doesn't come out of this blameless but the players really need to take a long, hard look at themselves. 

It wasn't all about what we did wrong however, that would "dis" Albion Rovers' achievement. We came up against a keeper who wasn't in the mood to be beaten and it is a small comfort to Queen's fans that he was deserved Man of the Match. His attitude seemed to spread through the team  and you could see what the win meant to the players and club at the final whistle. Enjoy your day V Celtic anyway. 

Tbh in the cold light of day I'm not as gutted as I possibly should feel. We've missed out on a money-spinner against the big team of the moment and all the exposure that brings, but I'll be more concerned if we don't start picking up points in the next 2 games. 

I dont have much to add to whats already been said. We dominated possession, particularly second half when the Rovers were happy to sit and protect what they had, but never really looked like breaking them down. If anything, they looked more likely to score when they broke forward.

Its hard to believe we lost yet another goal from a ball into the box from a set piece - its becoming schoolboy stuff.

Other than the result, obviously, there were two really disappointing aspects of the game.

Firstly, the quality in the final third was abysmal. We actually got behind the Rovers defence a few times but the balls into the box were utterly awful. Dobbie was far too easily dispossessed all game - dont know whats happened to him but he needs to sort it and quick.

Secondly, we didnt really make Rovers work all that hard for their win. We werent peppering the goals with shots - Im not sure the keeper made a save of note second half - we werent even forcing defenders to make blocks and we didnt move the ball around quickly enough to make them work across the pitch.

Finally, the defending for the second goal was criminal, absolutely criminal.

Im feeling a bit like Fae the Briggs, though, Im not as gutted as I was last night, or thought I would be. The next two games, as was discussed before last night, are crucial. The problem is, we cant defend and cant score goals and its hard to see whats going to happen to change that. Even if a new manager was appointed today he'll have minimal impact on Saturdays game

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As for QoS, can the season be salvaged with a good managerial appointment or are the off-field problems too significant to allow a good manager to save you from being dragged into a relegation battle?

I think it can definitely turn around on the pitch this season, the squad whilst not brilliant isn't losing 5 games in a row bad and hopefully some of the injuries can come back along with a more attacking centre mid in January with a new manager bounce. The problem is who would want to come into this situation which from the outside  looks like it's getting  undermined and whether the board are able to admit that this structure hasn't worked and hopefully change their way of thinking onward.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dont have much to add to whats already been said. We dominated possession, particularly second half when the Rovers were happy to sit and protect what they had, but never really looked like breaking them down. If anything, they looked more likely to score when they broke forward.

Its hard to believe we lost yet another goal from a ball into the box from a set piece - its becoming schoolboy stuff.

Other than the result, obviously, there were two really disappointing aspects of the game.

Firstly, the quality in the final third was abysmal. We actually got behind the Rovers defence a few times but the balls into the box were utterly awful. Dobbie was far too easily dispossessed all game - dont know whats happened to him but he needs to sort it and quick.

Secondly, we didnt really make Rovers work all that hard for their win. We werent peppering the goals with shots - Im not sure the keeper made a save of note second half - we werent even forcing defenders to make blocks and we didnt move the ball around quickly enough to make them work across the pitch.

Finally, the defending for the second goal was criminal, absolutely criminal.

Im feeling a bit like Fae the Briggs, though, Im not as gutted as I was last night, or thought I would be. The next two games, as was discussed before last night, are crucial. The problem is, we cant defend and cant score goals and its hard to see whats going to happen to change that. Even if a new manager was appointed today he'll have minimal impact on Saturdays game

In terms of the game analysis, pretty much agree with all of that. In terms of the reaction to the result, nah, I was sick last night and I'm still absolutely gutted this morning. I don't think I've been so disappointed in a defeat or the manner of it in years. Even the last minute ones at Ibrox and Easter Road last season. With all due respect to Rovers, they ain't Rangers or Hibs.

We weren't great last night, nobody would pretend we were, though we did start very well and were miles on top until we lost the first goal. Their keeper earned Man of the Match in the first quarter hour alone. We also weren't that bad though. The second half was strange in that we had lots of possession. Haven't seen the stats but wouldn't be surprised if it was 70% or more. But we didn't do nearly enough with it. Rovers packed their defence in two lines and we lacked movement and pace and had no wit to get around or through it until Hamill came on. Our best attacking outlets all night were the two full backs Marshall and Hamill. For all the possession we had, like Mr X I can't recall their keeper making a save of note. I don't think Lee had anything to do second half until he picked the ball out of the net either.

Getting Hamill on the pitch was necessary and changed the game. I presume Dowie was the one pulled from the backline because he was on a booking. In hindsight though I suspect his wisdom wouldn't have seen him caught up the pitch in injury time when a replay was far from a disaster and the defending on the 94th minute breakaway was abysmal. I posted last night that when it became obvious that a break was happening somebody should have taken an opponent out and taken a booking for the team. Cynical and unsporting yes but it's what wise heads do. We didn't and paid a big penalty. It's a shame the attack didn't come down Hamill's side. Pretty sure he'd have done it! I think the red card hurt us actually in that it encouraged us to think it was there to win last night when it didn't need to be. It was only 2 or 3 minutes but we suddenly got needlessly cavalier about things. If they'd stayed at 11 men we'd have given the last few minutes more respect and almost certainly be planning for a replay this morning.

There are good people at Albion Rovers and I wish them all the best in the next round. It still hurts though. :(

Queen of the south fans are not taking the defeat well,  let's put this in perspective you don't become a bad team overnight. The strengths of the rovers are they are a well organised team and also they play on a pitch which is difficult to play passing football on and also as a unit the rovers are used to playing on a poor pitch and work it to their advantage. Queen of the south are a good team but they don't have a manager so they are possibly not as organised as they should be and the Rovers got them at the right time. The priority at queen's is getting the right manager in.

48 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Queen of the south fans are not taking the defeat well,  let's put this in perspective you don't become a bad team overnight. The strengths of the rovers are they are a well organised team and also they play on a pitch which is difficult to play passing football on and also as a unit the rovers are used to playing on a poor pitch and work it to their advantage. Queen of the south are a good team but they don't have a manager so they are possibly not as organised as they should be and the Rovers got them at the right time. The priority at queen's is getting the right manager in.

You think? I think generally we've taken it very well and nobody has mentioned the pitch. I was there, I couldn't see much wrong with it. It's no bowling green but I wouldn't remotely blame it for being why we lost.

Fair points, and I remember you keeping a Rangers game at Gayfield a few years ago. Cliftonhill, however, is beyond economic repair. That the Rovers survive at all, with our customer base, is remarkable. But we'll never be able to do anything other than patch up our place, year after year.

We've spent a fuckload of money on Gayfield which is why it's now a 6600 capacity and not a 4100 capacity. The main stand was originally built about 15 year ago and year after year we spend money upgrading it. All changing areas etc now UEFA standard and hospitality suite and bar put in/done up. Terracing barriers and concrete replaced all the time.

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to do anything with your place?? It's not needing much. Most grounds at our level only have entrance from 1 side of the ground. All you would really need to do is have a huge tidy up of the area behind the goal and the walk round to the far side/the far side terracing.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We've spent a fuckload of money on Gayfield which is why it's now a 6600 capacity and not a 4100 capacity. The main stand was originally built about 15 year ago and year after year we spend money upgrading it. All changing areas etc now UEFA standard and hospitality suite and bar put in/done up. Terracing barriers and concrete replaced all the time.

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to do anything with your place?? It's not needing much. Most grounds at our level only have entrance from 1 side of the ground. All you would really need to do is have a huge tidy up of the area behind the goal and the walk round to the far side/the far side terracing.

No, Lichtie - it's much worse than that. The north terrace doesn't pass muster - not even close. The concrete steps aren't deep enough and the fabric is considered dangerous. The main stand gets a safety certificate by the skin of its teeth each time, and that's thanks to the heroic efforts of the Board. One year soon, a Council official will say "no" and god knows what'll happen then.

i admire what Arbroath - and other clubs - have done with their grounds, but there problems are not the same as the Rovers'.

17 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

What would you put it down to why did Skelton walk away from the job.

Don't have an explanation and Skelton left for undisclosed "personal reasons".

Haven't celebrated a victory at the Old San Siro like that .... err ever. First time the crash barriers actually came into play when we all barged into them ! absolute scenes at the end. Thought we deserved a draw, blatant penalty turned down and we did create a few chances. Rovers man of the match was our young keeper Ross Stewart who kept us in the match in the first 15 mins with some outstanding saves. Queen of the South were one of the best footballing teams I've seen in a long while. Pinged the ball about but lacked that final ball , some luck and cutting edge up front - and some urgency. But they also played right into our hands at times. Rovers are no mugs, we've draw with Kilmarnock, St.Mirren (90) already this season. No idea how we managed to score that goal at the end. 

Plus what a boost for the coffers also. Hopefully Sky Tv will pick it up.

Archived