Albion Rovers vs Queen of the South; Scottish Cup 3rd Round; 26th November

RUSTY1111

What do the queen's fans think off Kyle Hutton and do you regret Russell and Conroy leaving.

LM is an area we have seriously struggled to cover this season. I'd take Russell back in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have Conroy if he offered to play for free.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

What do the queen's fans think off Kyle Hutton and do you regret Russell and Conroy leaving.

Tam summed it up nicely. I thought Hutton got a lot of stick last season, at times, undeserved. He did a job for us but the only reason we've missed him this season is a combination of injuries and a lack of central midfielders in the squad.

As 19Qos19 said, we've struggled at left midfield and Russells pace, and goals, would have made a huge difference this season.

Conroy is done at this level. Unfortunately he was done at this level last season

8 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

No. That terrace remains condemned.

5 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

No, Lichtie - it's much worse than that. The north terrace doesn't pass muster - not even close. The concrete steps aren't deep enough and the fabric is considered dangerous. The main stand gets a safety certificate by the skin of its teeth each time, and that's thanks to the heroic efforts of the Board. One year soon, a Council official will say "no" and god knows what'll happen then.

i admire what Arbroath - and other clubs - have done with their grounds, but there problems are not the same as the Rovers'.

I see, not sure where I got the idea it had been fixed from. I assume that it's estimated that getting back into a reasonable condition would cost even more than a low six figure sum, hence the proceeds of past Rangers games and now this Celtic cup tie are more likely to go toward maintenance on the main stand and the playing squad rather than the north terrace?

Interested to see that Rovers are seeking to play at another stadium because of H&S reasons.
Surely any team should be able to house a capacity crowd safely. That is why it is the capacity.
Rovers should be made to play the Celtic game at home.
I certainly don't believe that all the monies from cup games against Rangers went into the stadium.
Was it coincidence that you gained promotion with a dump of a stadium?

I certainly don't believe that all the monies from cup games against Rangers went into the stadium.

No just a talented young manager who had a good backroom team and a great group of players. That and Arbroath bottled it.

If you're hinting at us paying sky high wages then you're mistaken. Our highest paid player was undoubtedly John Gemmell who felt that a move to you lot was too lucrative to turn down.

No player comes to Albion Rovers to get rich

Albion Rovers appear to be the only SPFL club unable to host certain opponents at home. So is there work in progress that will resolve this or is the club anticipating playing all future cup-ties of this calibre at other grounds? Often these have bigger capacities and therefore generate additional money, of course.

There have been a number of such ties now, and a lot of money must have been generated. In the 2013-14 Challenge Cup they hosted Rangers at Livingston in front of 5,345 live on BBC Alba. In the Scottish Cup they hosted Motherwell at Hamilton in front of 2,750. They went on to make it as far as QFs and travelled over to Rangers in front of 23,976 live on Sky Sports; this finished in a draw and was replayed at Hamilton in front of 5,354 live on Sky Sports.

That's the best part of £200,000 in TV cash; half the gates from total crowds of almost 40,000 (even at an average of £15 a ticket that's £250,000+); and the prizemoney for making it to the Scottish Cup QF.

How much was spent on Cliftonhill and how much more will be required?

EDIT: By "required" I mean whatever is needed to be play ties at home again; not necessarily bringing the whole ground into use.

I have some sympathy for the Rovers on this one. The money from these ties, as good a windfall as it was, probably wasn't/isn't enough to do what has to be done to get Cliftonhill up to scratch for big games. The stand barely passes safety checks, as has been said, so they basically require a new stand in the long term. A new stand doesn't come cheap and certainly would cost more than the income from the cup games. From what I can gather, they'd probably also need to completely raize the terracing on the far side and develop some sort of spectating area over there. You're basically talking a new ground within the current site, otherwise it's just going to be very expensive sticking plasters.

The big ties against Sevco were near enough three years ago, so the money will have given them breathing space for running costs in that period. They weren't to know at that point that they were going to hit another windfall so quickly down the line. If they had, I dare say they'd have planned for it! Luck of the draw. Obviously, redevlopment of some kind is going to have to happen at Cliftonhill at some point, but it's probably going to have to take major external investment for it to happen. They're also pretty much farting against thunder when it comes to attendances. They are in a bit of a golden era just now and the people of Coatbridge, thousands of who will probably claim to have a soft spot for Rovers, simply won't come through the gates. 

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

I have some sympathy for the Rovers on this one. The money from these ties, as good a windfall as it was, probably wasn't/isn't enough to do what has to be done to get Cliftonhill up to scratch for big games. The stand barely passes safety checks, as has been said, so they basically require a new stand in the long term. A new stand doesn't come cheap and certainly would cost more than the income from the cup games. From what I can gather, they'd probably also need to completely raize the terracing on the far side and develop some sort of spectating area over there. You're basically talking a new ground within the current site, otherwise it's just going to be very expensive sticking plasters.

The big ties against Sevco were near enough three years ago, so the money will have given them breathing space for running costs in that period. They weren't to know at that point that they were going to hit another windfall so quickly down the line. If they had, I dare say they'd have planned for it! Luck of the draw. Obviously, redevlopment of some kind is going to have to happen at Cliftonhill at some point, but it's probably going to have to take major external investment for it to happen. They're also pretty much farting against thunder when it comes to attendances. They are in a bit of a golden era just now and the people of Coatbridge, thousands of who will probably claim to have a soft spot for Rovers, simply won't come through the gates. 

^^^Gets it.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Aye but we could rent a lego stadium in another town for years on end on the off chance we get a big cup tie. That's a far better way to sustain a long term future for the club and engage the local community...

Also worthy to note that money has been spent to increase the capacity. The stand behind the goals is not the Kop, but it's a start. A few more big cup ties and there could be a stand behind the other goal in 5 years time.

To be fair though, I also don't understand why it's not just at Cliftonhill with a 1500 capacity, or whatever has been deemed 'safe'.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Interested to see that Rovers are seeking to play at another stadium because of H&S reasons.
Surely any team should be able to house a capacity crowd safely. That is why it is the capacity.
Rovers should be made to play the Celtic game at home.

Point taken but you'll understand it's pretty galling to get stadium management advice from a Clyde fan.

I wish NLC would build us a stadium.

Point taken but you'll understand it's pretty galling to get stadium management advice from a Clyde fan.

I wish NLC would build us a stadium.

Personally I don't like Broadwood but at least all fans can see the park.

Over the years I have seen little improvement at Cliftonhill other than the small terracing behind the goal. Will it have a roof?

Most of the terracing has been left to disintegrate and i do not believe that many thousands have been put into that horrible little stand and enclosure.

It is a dreadful stadium to watch football.

Perhaps if Clyde draw one of the old firm we should play the game at Hampden for "H&S reasons"

Always believed any funds raised from playing at a higher capacity ground should go to the prize pot of the competition. Entirely wrong for clubs to profit from not being able to have their ground declared safe.

Surely then that should apply to clubs who don't own their own ground either then? By playing elsewhere Rovers will be renting, exactly the same as clubs who don't own their ground. It's a nonsense argument, most clubs outside the top league, and many within it, require big money cup ties to survive. Of course some of that will go back into the team, you have to invest in the team if you wish to progress in competition and get these bigger ties and bigger gates. This is why losing was such a blow to Queens. I have absolutely no issue with Rovers doing this. And let's not forget Rovers have no choice if the police or council say it cannot be played at Cliftonhill. Look at all these 1/4 full lego build stadiums, what point is there investing in capacity that is not normally required? As someone else points out how could Rovers possibly predict big money cup ties against both the Old firm in fairly quick succession. QoS haven't played Celtic in over 25 years, and am sure it was a similar amount of time passed when we played Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final.

Why couldn't the game be played at Cliftonhill, all-ticket with a small capacity? if Cliftonhill can be segregated for a league game then it can segregate a cup tie; if it can't segregate fans then they shouldn't be allowed to play any league or cup competitions there at all.

Why couldn't the game be played at Cliftonhill, all-ticket with a small capacity? if Cliftonhill can be segregated for a league game then it can segregate a cup tie; if it can't segregate fans then they shouldn't be allowed to play any league or cup competitions there at all.

Absolutely correct.

Got to laugh at these Clyde fans talking stadiums and financial fair play while renting Broadwood from a boys club. 

lets talk about where club money is being invested. How can a club with no match day income afford to go through players like Clyde have since your manager came in??

how many players have you turned over last couple of years , 60, 70, 80 or more??? , that's a genuine question. 

Where is that money coming from ? A Monday night ramsden cup 8-0 hammering at Ibrox or are you being funded by someone looking to progress his own career?

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Always believed any funds raised from playing at a higher capacity ground should go to the prize pot of the competition. Entirely wrong for clubs to profit from not being able to have their ground declared safe.

Can see your point, but depends on what reason for police advice is. Could maybe because they know there will be a possible crush on the hill from local Buckfast swilling Celtic fans.

what I would like to know is it entirely wrong to go into administration to wipe your debts when all other clubs in league 1 have played by the rules??? 

4 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

Got to laugh at these Clyde fans talking stadiums and financial fair play while renting Broadwood from a boys club. 

lets talk about where club money is being invested. How can a club with no match day income afford to go through players like Clyde have since your manager came in??

how many players have you turned over last couple of years , 60, 70, 80 or more??? , that's a genuine question. 

Where is that money coming from ? A Monday night ramsden cup 8-0 hammering at Ibrox or are you being funded by someone looking to progress his own career?

We don't rent it from a boys club.

Turned over the key words there. Departing players wage goes to a new player. 

It was 8-1. 

Barring that, good post :lol:

Archived