What is the most obscure derby you know

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Dr Watson said:

If we're going by clubs joined by the same road, Morton v PSG, Morton v Real Madrid or Morton v Seville. Take your pick. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E05

Gorgie Road and Hurlford Road are both subsections of the A71 which adds a whole new edge to Hearts vs Kilmarnock

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Thanks for telling me that.  I sort of noticed a hostility between the two.  Curious to know how it all got started - or would that be causing trouble?

It goes way back.  I asked my grandad where it all stems from, and he told be the story:

Some Saints fans were in a pub in Kilmarnock and something happened that nobody ever mentions. Someone, nobody remembers exactly who, got mildly bothered by it and things were said...

.. things that can't be unsaid.

What happened next is best left unmentioned because the authorities have never fully dealt with the repercussions.

I think that pretty much sums up where all the hatred comes from.

And one things for sure, it won't be dying down anytime soon, certainly not after what happened in the game last month, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Which 2 teams come from a town with a population of less than 20,000 and faced each in derbies in the Conference in the early 90's?

Oxford United and Oxford City?

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Which 2 teams come from a town with a population of less than 20,000 and faced each in derbies in the Conference in the early 90's?

Northwich Victoria and Witton Albion.

7 hours ago, DazzJag said:

The Rangers v Celtic is pretty unusual. 2 clubs that hate each other as much after only playing 3 times :whistle

Hate each other? Business partners not getting on probably isn't too unusual but it would be very rare that they actually hate each other.

50 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It goes way back.  I asked my grandad where it all stems from, and he told be the story:

Some Saints fans were in a pub in Kilmarnock and something happened that nobody ever mentions. Someone, nobody remembers exactly who, got mildly bothered by it and things were said...

.. things that can't be unsaid.

What happened next is best left unmentioned because the authorities have never fully dealt with the repercussions.

I think that pretty much sums up where all the hatred comes from.

And one things for sure, it won't be dying down anytime soon, certainly not after what happened in the game last month, that's for sure.

Thanks for that - it really clears things up.

Incidentally I was talking to a Kilmarnock supporter who gave a similar account but he claims it was a pub in Perth and a goat was involved.

On a matter of principle, I never mention goats when I go to watch the football - just asking for trouble if you ask me.

Archived